Microsoft charges 50% commission fee!

I saw this post by UK2000

If it is true that Microsoft charges 50% commission fee, I think that is a bit much, I would think 30-35% would be fair, what do you guys think?

As with all businesses they will charge what the market will bear. Simple economics!

1 Like

It is probably true, but why should we buy from the developers? The addons are usually cheaper at the marketplace. Maybe the developers could lower their prices a bit? I would definitely buy from the developer (probably not from UK2000 because I don’t usually fly in GB) even if the price was slightly higher than the marketplace because probably I would have better support.

True I just found it simmarket charges 30% with its 90a website. So if we go to the more professional resellers like Aerosoft and ORBX, I would assume they would charge at least 40% since they have better infrastructure to support add-ones. I think the issue with UK2000 is that they never sold on resellers website, so perhaps these kind of fees are new to them?

Well for me maintenance is the number 1 issue. I prefer to buy from professional resellers like Marketplace, Aerosoft and ORBX just fot the ease of updating (I don’t buy from simmarket since it doesn’t have any auto-update mechanisms). I have no time to visit each developer website to update my scenery

5 Likes

The majority of my purchases are from simmarket. I bought a number of sceneries from marketplace when they were on discount during Christmas. I bought a couple of sceneries from Aerosoft directly, from FSDG, and Maccosim EGCC (because the price is very low, and the quality very high). I have even bought from onesimstore, because if you bought Binersim WIII you had discount for WIHH. Both of them half the price of simmarket (both for p3d). I don’t have any taboos. I buy from whomever offers the best price and of course is trustworthy. I don’t regret it. It is good to have variety of options.

1 Like

Why is this an issue? They can just set the price accordingly so they can get the same profit after deducting the commission fee.

And since they can release the same addon in other sites, they can set their own price in there as well.

So if they publish the addon for $20 in Marketplace, then can also publish the same addon in their direct website for $10 and they still get the same $10 income regardless of where the people buy it from.

1 Like

I also thought the same but they are offering the same airport with 20$ price label on their website as well. They have no intention to sell on another websites as I read in the Facebook comments

Yeah makes sense. At the end it is what you prefer and makes you happy

They’re not actually saying MS charges 50% commission. They’re saying taking everything into account, including the reduced pricing structure, they receive 50% less than sales direct through PayPal.

Personally though I would think they’d probably sell an awful lot more through the market place so it should even itself out or proove to be even better in the long run.

They should also think themselves lucky to be able to tap into the market place… I put an application in about 5 months ago and it’s still under review!

6 Likes

Yep true. As I said, they are not used to resellers, they used to sell directly which worked for them before. Now with the new entry of new developers, higher quality …etc, they are struggling.

1 Like

We promote the freedom of purchasing add-ons wherever you would like (whether externally or within the simulator), but ask not to petition users to buy from one place over another. Thank you.