Microsoft Flight simulator 2020 Featuring: the F/A-18C Hornet by DC Designs

2 Likes

I thank DC for this free F18C version, but old simmers will like to get this FSX free gem in MSFS:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Pink textures on DC Designs F/A 18

The quality and enjoyment of aircraft are subjective.

Here are some facts that help me formulate my opinion on this freeware F/18.

Fact. Default Asobo Hornet max top mach is 1.43.
Fact. Warrior Hornet Mod has a max top of 1.56.
Fact. Real life Hornet has a top mach of 1.8.
Fact. DC Designs freeware hornet has a top mach of 1.8 @37.5k altitude. Accurate.

Fact. The F/18 is known to be great in the one circle dogfights and is able to pull the nose at low speeds arguably better than most/all military jets. In flying the default Asobo Hornet or Warrior Mod, while it was possible to make some sharp turns, it was dang near impossible.
Fact. My first attempt in these prior difficult sharp turns in this hornet, the F/18 made the turns with relative ease. In my opinion, this is very accurate.

The texturing is not good quality but…it’s free. I prefer 1st person flying so it doesn’t bother me much but yes, the default Asobo model is much cleaner. The default and Warrior mod also in my opinion has better ground handling than the DC Designs one, however I put much more emphasis on accuracy of top speed, and the “feel” of flying the aircraft over the feel of it on the ground.

These results are not final as I’m still doing test since DC Designs updated 2 of their aircraft and added a new one(F18), IFE updated their F-35, and Deimos updated both his Mig29 and SU-57. The agility and speeds of these developers jets have changed from the last test. Previously some jets seemed more accurate than other’s, while other’s not so much. Seems like currently other jets that weren’t accurate are more accurate, where as some were accurate and now are less accurate.

2 Likes