Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announced

We will revisit this upon launch!

OK. Whatever.
I wonder if high-fidelity addons (PMDG, Fenix, C310, JF products) will work out of the box on day one post launch.
Also, hopefully all of these “career” modes will not distract from the following:

1. Better real-time weather model, including a functioning weather radar.
  2. Rewritten ground friction model (I am tired of steering like a racecar after each landing of an airliner)
  3. Rewritten water friction model
  4. ATC rewrite. AI traffic rewrite (include gliders in appropriate places, and also helicopters in AI).
  5. Better multicore CPU utilization
    If that’s the case - I am willing to pay extra.

Also: Career mode, even in a simulator, cannot be “simulated” without proper aircraft systems and possibility to introduce failures. Because sh*t happens in real life (rarely, but it does) and it’s supposed to be a simulator, at least its being advertised as such. So career mode with half baked G3X in the helicopter is no career mode at all :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Microsoft came to the conclusion that flying on the magenta line and listening to ATC commands is boring and not interesting for us. Instead of giving us a proper weather radar, functional airports (as in XP12 or P3D). Instead of giving us properly functioning planes where at least 10 out of 100 buttons work. Instead of improving the physics of the flight model. Microsoft blew all this stuff and came up with "let’s do a GTA like this, just with planes. Let’s add EMERGENCY elements. In 2025 we’ll add spaceships. Let’s get ready to travel to Mars. Let’s overtake Elon Musk.

6 Likes

I must be missing something. Why is this any different from a typical Microsoft operating system upgrade–say Windows 10 → Windows 11:

• If you are on a subscription plan (In this case GamePass) it is a free upgrade
  • The old version gets some updating – security, etc – but new feature development is largely concentrated on the new version
  • MS “supports” the old version for years just does not enhance it much
  • 95% of the existing apps (in this case add ons) just work. Few need to be tweaked to function and the better developers make the tweaks in advance of the new release
  • Most NEW add ons will continue to work on both versions but some developers may choose to rely on features that only exist in the new version

Seems like a playbook MS platform upgrade to me. This is probably good because they know how to make that work. Assuming MS/Asobo viewed this 2024 release with that paradigm in mind, it is easy to see why they botched the announcement–they viewed it as a regular old platform upgrade.

1 Like

You really should keep up with the context of a conversation. My response was advising someone that they WON’T need to upgrade their PC for 2024 since Xbox is the driving force behind the whole thing. It needs to run on that.

I made no issue about that.

I am hoping, that 2024 Starts where MSFS2020 ends to be honest.

I’m happier now. Users will get the choice of sticking with 2020 or buying 2024 with the benefit that most of their paid add-ons will transfer across (albeit with updates along the way, there will be teething problems there).

So the only question that is unanswered for me is “will MSFS 2020 owners have to pay full price for the new version or will there be a discount”. I think there should be a discount. I guess we’ll know soon enough.

Ok wrong end of the stick but I was just pointing out that the contensious SU5 was an essential part of the whole process and no doubt years of planning.

The FAQ will be much larger over time. For now, they concentrated on just the few questions that were of utmost important to answer. Over time, this FAQ will be quite large as more is unvewled.

1 Like

It was probably the most contraversial example to come up with, I’ll admit. But as you mentioned, the console is the reason this franchise was rebooted.

So in short, people dont need to worry about PC upgrades… (unless this New release is aimed for a new console release too).

1 Like

Wow, this thread is exploding. You would think people’s lifes are at stake. It is just a game! :rofl:

Let’s just wait and see what comes. Let it go, let it go, etc. :wink:

2 Likes

Agreed. For what it’s worth I reckon any mods that no longer fit will be the likes of seasons and a few other bad performers that are lacking an update.

We’re just talking.

1 Like

Absolutely! Thats the way of life. You have to milk the cow while she is still giving milk (german saying). Cheers!

There is definitely a new console in development and I get the feeling it’s going to dwarf most of our current PC’s. Won’t be as flexible though.

1 Like

That’s honestly the only thing that would make any sense. MSFS2020 already had obstacles when it comes to performance limitations on console. Some add-on would tank the frames or cause CTD’s. Now all of a sudden Asobo has found the answer to the universe and is pushing a “better” version on the same console?

1 Like

Blockquote
I wonder if high-fidelity addons (PMDG, Fenix, C310, JF products) will work out of the box on day one post launch.

It took two years for some of those addons to be available on PC and another one to be available on Xbox. Taking into account that some of the developers have already say that they knew nothing about MSFS2024 until yesterday…
That point is my main concern.

1 Like

Agreed. Well, it does seem to use the same engine, so hopefully content management system is the same (using a community folder and manifest.json files).

It’s all hype and marketing. Full stop.
The good thing is that the baby is alive and kicking.

3 Likes

A reminder to keep this topic on-topic. If you want to continue participating, avoid posts aimed at other users and focus solely on the discussion.

From the Code of Conduct - SOP:

• The Skies are Open for All - Everyone is welcome to Microsoft Flight Simulator regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, or creed.
  • One World, One Community - No matter how you play – regardless of platform, experience level, or reason – we are one community of aviation lovers.
  • Follow Your Checklist - Adhere to the set of rules from each community space. Skipping a checklist item can ground a flight quickly.
  • A Pilot is a Pilot - Treat everyone in the community with respect, and seek to have positive experiences with your fellow pilots.
  • A Pilot is a Pilot - Treat everyone in the community with respect, and seek to have positive experiences with your fellow pilots.
3 Likes