Microsoft Flight Simulator - "Game Of The Year"

I wonder how many super critical types haven’t even bought the game but (like me) downloaded via Game pass. Yes you pay for game pass (and some have been able to find ways to have many months very cheaply) but it’s an awesome game whilst working to have on Gamepass without forking out nearly the actual price. That shouldn’t negate our ability to offer critical feedback, but some is downright scathing and borders on abusive.

For me? Yes I’m miffed about various issues, some I’ve tried to help raise for fix, upset latest world update screwed up my installation on Xbox, deleted offending content now. By the way, I will buy the game as and when, and have already invested in add-ons.

But some of the comments make it sound like people’s world (not WU) has collapsed. Maybe a bit of perspective?

2 Likes

So because of your own bad experience it should be named like this?
I don’t have any problems so do you mind if I call it best game?

4 Likes

Just finished a low/slow flight over Rome trying to spot the places I visited about 10 years ago. Had a great time and was just getting ready to complement the team on a great addition to the sim. Then this flame is the first thing I find. If you’re having difficulty why not ask for help instead of jumping on here and starting your day like this Lots of helo here if you want it; otherwise, let the rest of us have fun with the “Game of the Year”. Geez.

1 Like

You bring up a good point. I’m unashamedly only on the game pass version and can be super critical. I have all the official Microsoft/Asobo payware planes (which I rarely use) other than Reno Races plus upward toward $1000 easy of various add ons and intend to buy more. I’ve definitely earned my right to be here. Those who don’t invest anything and just come here to moan and groan is a worry and another concern. Having skin in the game does actually still mean something these days. To keep devs committed to this platform, it means they need to make a living so that means we need to spend money. I’m sorry if it’s a tough cookie for those out there easily offended but this is how it’s gotta be.

1 Like

Don’t work either since last night. See me video

2 Likes

Yep that’s quite an investment in add-ons, which as you say absolutely validates your critique even more, because simply they have no value without a working sim. I’ll hopefully (!?) be in a similar position when I’m able to buy the Milviz 310 and others…

And whilst it’s free on Gamepass there’s little incentive to buy it yet.

1 Like

Well maybe someone needs to be incharge. I use to oversee 35 student employees and if there was a problem with any of the work they did I was responsible.

If some of the work is being farmed out then someone needs to oversee that work BEFORE it goes into “production” and on to the sim.

I am not a programmer but I understand the complexities of what MS is attempting to do with the sim. I still maintain that they should, in the near future, get the long standing problems solved before putting more “glitz and glitter” on the sim to satisfy the elusive “who”. Are they afraid that if they don’t keep introducing new “glitz and glitter” they will lose new customers or ???

IMHO it is time to get the sim working for once and for all and then when it is all working GREAT start to add new features. It would also help a lot if Microsoft would let everyone who does software and hardware for the sim know when they are introducing some new bit of code that will mess will everyones add ons or hardware. Just a suggestion…

I just want to fly and not spend my time troubleshooting and or crashing…

7 Likes

We all have reasons to not buy outright. Mine being that if I bought it, I’d get the Prem Deluxe (value) but through my research, I feel I’ll only really use a few things in it. If I knew they’d continue to improve and update their in-house planes, then I’d reconsider later perhaps.

This should be a reference quality product yet it’s not. Peoples concerns are warranted as things are so shady atm. The idea of boycotting will only hurt those of us who just want this to work.

Yup… I hadn‘t had a single stability problem since release through February. Since SU8 I‘ve had nothing but issues, mostly crashes.

1 Like

The biggest difficulty, in my opinion, is finding out what to fix. I’m a guy that put only about $1800 in my home built computer and can count the number of CTD’s I’ve had since launch on one hand. I’ve never had a problem getting or flying after an update of the sim or the world. So, how can a developer figure out what’s wrong when so many of us have no problems or complaints and others have countless problems. I wish I could help but, quite frankly, I don’t know what I’ve done right. My rig is an AMD Ryzen 7 3800x with an AMD 5700 XT by MSI. I run with no overclocks and have quit looking at frame rates since it no longer matters. I fly a mix of GA and airliners, VFR and IFR with very little in the Community folder. My CPU loafs along while my GPU runs about 70 to 95 percent. All on air cooling. So how can Asobo find what’s wrong when some are very happy and others can’t justify their investment in hardware? I don’t doubt other peoples problems and wish I could help but don’t think I can. All we can do is wait and hope MS and Asobo can find what makes some of our systems work while others won’t. Best wishes to all. I feel bad for those who can’t enjoy what they’ve built.

4 Likes

Not sure about that. Just like some others, I have never experienced CTDs, unless it was due to the mods (forgot to update the G1000 mod and loaded the Cessna).

I have several mods installed (FBW, 787 HeavyMod, 747 Salty, Airport Night Lights, Mumbai ORBX, Enhanced airport vehicles, Shift-Z, AIG traffic, etc), the sim still runs tightly without any hiccups.

Thoroughly tested the sim after SU9 and the latest World Update, still not concerns at all.

(Ryzen 5 3600, AMD 5700XT)

The thing is, because this forum is the most densely populated place for purely MSFS users, the complaints and problems come across as huge and in large numbers.
Go outside the forum, people absolutely love going around in the sim without issues (some even do not know about or want to use mods).

The sim has a long way to go to improve, I completely agree, but, sorry, most problems that I read about occur due to hardware, software or mod issues on the user side.
For this MS / Asobo cannot be held accountable. :man_shrugging:

Cheers,
Nish

2 Likes

I’ve posted a question about logging in the Q&A. Maybe this really needs to get more attention. And it can be implemented in a lean way in the first place.
We’re sitting here reading about so many issues, but only a few posters give us the details that we need to be able to help them.
A system dump of some sort would be great to have, I think.

1 Like

Hi, I think most of the major crashes are coming from XBOX users. OK I’m sure some PC users are also getting CTD’s but not as bad as us on XB. I purchased the full house, and annoyed that such a large thing like FS we are being treated like this.

1 Like

Considering it’s a free DLC, you kind of get it whether you want it or not… Just depends on whether or not you choose to use it.

I don’t think anyone intends to treat you poorly; they just don’t know how to solve the problem. However, since the XBOX is a packaged system one would think those problems would be easier to find and solve than those on a PC.

2 Likes

The sheer amount of hyperbole.

Well, that’s the theory. But as it stands right now, you can have 3 “identical” consoles with a vanilla MSFS install with no marketplace add-ons. It runs superbly on one. It runs slow and stuttery on the next. And it won’t even load to the world map without crashing to dashboard on the third.

Did you read the reactions after SU7, or whichever update for that matter? It’s always been: that previous update was SO much better.
I also read many posts here that mention that SU9 is (again) a step in the right direction.
So to me it’s always a mixed bowl.
What I would rather have than a topic with such a wide scope as this one, is one topic per specific issue. Like the cloud topics, or ctd topics for specific areas in the world. These topics we can use as a starting point to help each other out.
At the moment (and also before) many topics get out of hand and the original intention gets hidden behind many emotional posts with no information for us to start with.

1 Like

After su9 i cant progrees further than the load screen. Tried reinstall etc. And now they are gonna release top gun dlc on a sim that doesnt work on xbox. I have decided not to be mad or angry about my wasted money, but just laugh and admit they screwed me and maybe someday if i read here things are working fully again ill come back. What a circus. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sadly I have join the ranks of the ‘the game isn’t working’ group.
As I have posted in the past in another life I was a Test Engineer. That means I got paid good money to run and test software. My job was to test software to see if it did the job the manufacturer said it was supposed to do.
I did a ‘clean’ install. What that means to me is I deleted the whole games both from my internal and external cards. Then I d/l a clean copy from the MS Marketplace. I did this 2 times as the assorted world updated was sometimes out of order. After about 1 hours of time (I have a very fast internet connection) I then cleared the rolling cache reset it to 10 B. Then started the game – no job just recycles to CTD. Frist I get the two splash screens then ‘press any button’ screen then boom CTD.

BTW no issues with my other games - Train Sim 2 or Myst.

It’s a sad day for me. I really enjoyed ‘flying’. I’ve flow around the world west to east. I flown up the west coast of South and North America. I was almost to the Oregon border when my copy of this game has gone gunny sack.

Maybe in a few weeks we users will get an update to fix the issues. But this just re-enforces my decision years ago to drop ALL Microsoft products. You’d think with all the years of experience this large company has that they would test a product before releasing it to the public but I guess we, the public, put up with it so they keep doing it.

dw

5 Likes