Microsoft Flight Simulator - "Game Of The Year"

Hi, Just tried this morning and not even getting passed the loading screen and crashing x 3. You don’t even get this from those one developer games but FS is really screwed themselves up here. Who in their right mind is going to purchase this game when you read the comments here and even over on the reviews the MS game page. I was looking forward in getting the Topgun DLC but as things stand not going there. So MS take note you are loosing customers from all over the globe.

10 Likes

I came in on SU7-SU8 period with the GOTY disc version. I was amazed at the quality of the sim, it was smooth, fantastic detail of the scenery etc, loved it and pretty much overdosed on flying it.

Then there was SU8, SU9, SU9 patch, and now (not for me) WU9 - each time it has been degraded, London now looks like a bomb site most of the time, there was a period where the clouds turned to post-volcanic or popcorn, scenery now morphs while looking at it, the new turbulence model seems too severe and we have little control of it, CTD’s are now commonplace, those that loaded WU9 have been left totally out of the sim.

From a company like MS I’m pretty shocked at this level of destruction and incompetence (WU9 especially) is this really the best they can do?

While I am able to still fly, I find myself not so willing as you just don’t know when the next CTD is coming now, there are visual stutters and freezes, the scenery “pop” is very annoying, a lot of my flight logs have disappeared as well.

6 Likes

I can’t agree, for me it is still fine working from first day of launch. Just one CTD in the early stage, but was not MSFS it was me. It’s a real good, great simulation and get better from day to day.
Of course, there is space for some but it is just 1.5 year young.

13 Likes

Not a single CTD with MSFS 2020 since release, some hiccups…sure… - but when I’m remembering all variants since the Sublogic days (YES, I had FS II in 1984/85…) MSFS2020 SU9 is by far the best soft I’ve flown with on any box…:blush:

11 Likes

Game doesnt load anymore after the latest update

3 Likes

This isn’t an Airport you don’t have to tell us of your departure.

6 Likes

Don’t worry, your time is coming. From the sound of the complaints after the latest world update, it looks like WU 9 swept up a bunch of those who were previously chirping about how they had no problems after SU 9, and dumped them right into the chaos with the rest of us.

If you still by some miracle have no significant problems with this sim, it’s only a matter of time. Every update of any kind seems to whittle down the rapidly shrinking group of “trouble-free” users even more.

5 Likes

Try deleting Contents.xml (with the game not running!) and restarting.

Did you empty community folder? It is worked good with me, no crashes. Ryzen 3800x/58000x3d, 1080Ti, SSD, Win10 and Quest2.

1 Like

Sale on marketplace the italian contents. Sale, game wont start, this is full sale. Upcoming Topgun dlc? Game wont start. Worst game this era, great job.No more games with so much crashes. Every update brings something problem, now, the game is unplayable .

3 Likes

Always had for me, since launch

2 Likes

Too bad about what is happening lately. I guess MS has given up fixing the sim and is just adding more and more “eye candy” instead of fixing some of the basic problems. When I first got FS2020 I was sooooooo happy and it looked and worked well. Yes there were some hiccups but I figured it was just growing pains.

Then came SU9 and DISASTER struck big time. CTDs and FS2020 did not want to work the way it had in the past.

I love to fly but have limited time to do it so I want to start the computer, start FS2020 enjoy a flight and then go to bed. Lately I have been having to spend my time “fixing” problems instead of flying which is not enjoyable or something I want to do. If only MS would stop with all the “eye candy” updates and instead get the sim to work well with no CTD I would be very happy.

As to the graphics…Well others have said it better than I could. It seems like when the sim was ported over to XBOX is when a lot of the graphic problems started. Others have suggested, and I think it a good idea, that XBOX and the Computer folks should be on two different development paths and if something works well for the computer folks then don’t automatically “dumb it down” for the computer folks so it can work on the XBOX.

I hope one day that we will have a fully functioning FS2020 that will look and fly like what I remember it doing the first time I used it…FWIW

11 Likes

Whilst I don’t disagree with what you are saying at all, I think you misunderstand a bit of how that “eye candy” is created. If you read the release notes for the Italy WU, you’ll see that basically ALL the new stuff is created by external companies.

The Airports, the POI’s, much of the Photogrammetry and the Landing Challenges, Bush Trips and Discovery Flights.

So their addition would not be impacting resources as much as you think within Asobo studio.

Of course I don’t know exactly what the division of work really is but the bulk of the heavy lifting for world updates is being farmed out.

Pretty sure I also read that within Asobo they do have separate teams working on the core sim programming and the world/visual stuff separately. Seems more of a communications problem (which does easily happen when teams and companies are so big!).

EDIT: I may be mistaken about the photogrammetry, satellite and terrain height data elements (that is in-house). This is what they wrote:

The Microsoft Flight Simulator team has refined this area with the latest geospatial data available, including digital elevation modeling, aerial and satellite imagery, and triangulated irregular network (TIN) modeling of 20 cities, including Rome, Naples, Venice, and Milan.

Gaya Simulations handcrafted four airports: Palermo Airport (LICJ) in Sicily, Sondrio Airport (LILO) in the southern Tyrol, Marina di Campo Airport (LIRJ) on Elba Island, and Bolanzo Airport (LIPB) in the southern Tyrol, and Orbx Simulation Systems enhanced the detail of 100 others. Gaya Simulations created 94 points of interest in Italy and 11 in Malta for World Update IX, and Perfect Flight built nine activities to grant users a wide range of immersive experiences: three bush trips, three discovery flights, and three landing challenges.

Then, if I may be so bold, what is Asobo doing? Seb is working the flight model, I’m sure with a team. Kudos for that. But the rest? They sure aren’t fixing bugs or testing things. The newly 1/3rd of the entire testing QA VR team couldn’t even spot that panels are for all intents and purposes completely broken.

Even if it’s all external with these WU, I’m sure they have a budget. This budget, in my humble opinion, would be better spend hiring programmers and an actual QA team instead of giving it to some external company to create 5 new football stadiums in Brazil or wherever the next WU will be.

3 Likes

I’ve no idea. As I said I don’t know what the division of work is but I work in game Dev and even on small projects there is a LOT to manage and coordinate. I can only imagine the complexities in a project of this scope (the whole world!). A lot of work and a lot to get gelled together. It’s no wonder some things slip. But yeah testing should be improved and there should be bigger forward steps, I agree.

I still think it’s a phenomenal sim. It’s all I’ve played since purchasing and yes you have to chase problems quite often but I quite enjoy tinkering so it doesn’t bother me too much.

2 Likes

On YOUR system.

6 Likes

Evidence? Other than those disaffected souls on this forum who represent a tiny fraction of the more than 1.3 million copies sold? A genuine question. Do you have any evidence of a ‘rapidly shrinking’ group of satisfied users?

3 Likes

This is my standard reply to every thread of this nature.

2 Likes

On mine too, it’s Xbox by the way…

I think a lot of the problem is that optimisation is needed, but that is usually the last step and as the whole sim is so in flux in terms of features and planned future stuff, it’s hard to optimise now.