Microsoft flight simulator user interface

Agree. I too suffer from poor framerates and I cannot click fast within the menu otherwise it does not register the click.
Besides, it’s the logic; right now it appears more “random” than coherent. Planning a flight should be a sequential process of “1 - 2 - 3 - 4 GO FLY”
Now I feel like going back and forth choosing weather, aircraft, flight plan. And why you cant save location and pick up from where you left is simply frustrating… (anyone with a remedy?)

1 Like

Exactly, a lot of difficulties when it could be easy, we miss the ALT menu bar where everything is there, no back n fourth frustrations…AND the V MSFS dedicated screenshot key!

1 Like

That’s because the focus of the mouse has to be brought back to the active screen(first), before the first button press will work. Could be done in one mouse press, but alas, silly programmers… It’s called proper software integration.

NO, this UI is actually great, please do not go back to FSX style menus. They just need to improve the current menu mainly get rid of the default clouds on the world map, you know… so we can actually see the world. Also the black runway overlays are way too big now and cover most of the airport when zoomed in on the world map.

UI is actually great? Not efficient overlay, and cursor jumping back and forth when trying to enter weight and balances figures and either in kg or lbs different story, when in kgs moving the fuel cursor is total mess when kgs is selected rather than ltr…so to enter the load figures it’s total mess and it’s real frustrating…when you finally manage after all time wasting going back and forth with the cursor and when you enter a number another number is shown and several numbers are changed…??..and all your figures are entered, msfs ui decides NOPE and reset all values so you have to start over and if not careful it will do it again…is that great?? Same for the aircraft customization you enter the details then press ok then all details disappear?..etc etc…Is that what’s great?? FSX UI had none of this non sense.

By the way taking clouds off would defeat this UI own purpose…even with clouds you see the world…if wanna see details zoom in passed the clouds.

I can’t believe one year since MSFS launch and we’re still messing about with petty basic stuff, which comes standard on a solid sim…:thinking:What’s up MSFS?

Please fix this UI and the rest of the sim, enough of this fan greedy overlay…

MSFS the best sim!

I actually do not have any of these problems…

Although I understand why MS designed a UI for the XBox user, I don’t understand why such a clunky interface should be the solution for Windows 11 PC users. :unamused:
Surely a more traditional UI, without acres of images, would make a much more efficient UI for PC users. This would probably not alter the functions behind each user choice. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, the user interface is very clunky to use and respond. The interface on MSFS is more appropriate for an all-out video game, whereas a straight forward layout is more appropriate for a simulator. The GUI in FSX was ideal. Maybe they could have updated the graphics and such, but it’s unnecessary to have useless 3D graphics running in the background of the home screen. A spinning 3D model of the aircraft you are about to fly is all we need.

I guess having the same layout as FSX would make it obvious that there is no Learning Center in MSFS.

1 Like

The main interface/menu etc. has a poor layout. From what I’ve seen it’s basically html so why is it so poor on different size displays.

The ‘new’ market place layout is like a webpage from 1993 - a fixed size column in the middle of the screen. I have a wide screen yet I can only see 3 or 4 items at a time with wasted space taking up the remaining 75% of the screen.

Similarly, the aircraft selection screen shows 4 or 5 rows yet only 3 of them ever seem to populate and display planes, the remaining rows stay blank because of some layout bug.

This is just poor, yet relatively simple coding. Responsive design is not new, it’s not hard to scale and size those elements to make better use of the resolution and ratio in use.

Indeed, a suggestion in a post in November that the UI could not be overhauled because it would involve some massive code re-write is ridiculous. As if the UI is somehow a sentient being that refuses to be tamed. The UI is a mess and Asobo have shown time and again they do not understand UX design at all (the massive “your are offline” warning in bright red colours that could not be dismissed being the classic example of their ineptitude). I’m not sure they even employ a graphic designer given the state of the opening splash screens and their typography choices. The UI needs to go, ASAP to be replaced by something that is fast, responsive and get’s out of your way.

1 Like