Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

I am hoping this is the right place for this comment. I have been sitting chomping at the bit for months waiting for the new MSFS 2020. I was up waiting for the download to open and did so finally at 4:30 in the morning on the 18th. My disappointment was once getting it I could not get it to work with my joystick, a Microsoft Thrustmaster 2! Of all of the things I did not expect was to have an issue with the sim working with one of Microsofts products, an industry standard for flight sims. It works on every other sim made easily, except this one. I am debating with myself at this point to ask for a refund and stay with my FSX SE. Maybe not the best scenery but it WORKS. Someone please advise.

Frustrated pilot;

Elton Reid

2 Likes

Look on utube for video how to set up squirrel has good videos about ms202

Dear Elton, I am a private pilot and a huge FS fan since version 98. I also use the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick and to my surprise, it doesn’t work! That’s because we’re using a Microsoft peripheral with a Microsoft game
:rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Hi. I also use Microsoft’s Sidewinder and although it couldn’t identify it in the settings it still allowed me to assign buttons. Working fine for me at the moment.

Eldon

I use the same stick and in the alpha/beta phase it worked (but without force feedback). I hope it still does in the final version (waiting for the download to complete).

Hi Eldon - tell me more! I cannot make my MS Force Feedback Joystick work. Is this different than your Sidewider? Thanks for the post.

So basically when I go into my control settings, Sidewinder comes up as one of my controls but it has one of those large question mark symbols where the image of the control should be. I basically ignored that, ensured I had the Sidewinder control selected at the top of the controls menu and in the Filter option I changed it to ‘Essentials’ and that allowed me to customise my Sidewinder.

Eldon

1 Like

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

In game, Options, Controls. Select your SFF2.
Set Filter to “All”
Find the action you want in the main list and click in the first empty box. (Ex Ailerons Axis)
In pop-up window “Select an input” (the drop down lists avail button numbers and axis etc)
Choose the input. (Ex Joystick L-Axis X)
Validate

Do this for each input from your stick.

For Control surfaces:
Ailerons Axis = Joystick L-Axis X
Elevator Axis = Joystick L-Axis Y
Rudder Axis = Joystick L-Axis Z

Throttle Axis = joystick Slider X

Hat = Configure all “LOOK” settings to the POV Directions for both Cockpit and External.

Buttons 1-8 = configure to your needs. I personally set them to brakes, flaps, gear, trim Cockpit/external view, etc

5 Likes

How did you set-up external views without conflict with regular hat settings?

There was no conflict. It seems to act as a separate control set from cockpit. Smooth as can be hehe.

Thanks for the tips!
I’ve successfully configured my both sidewinder.
Force Feedback 2 to main controls and Precision Racing Wheel pedals as rudder

Could you share all of your Mappings of the SW2? So I can try it out also? So also the other controls that you assigned to which button? Thx!!

I’d like to echo Elton and the fellow community member’s sentiments regarding the compatibility of the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick with MSFS 2020. It’s a bit surprising that one of Microsoft’s iconic peripherals isn’t natively supported in its latest flight simulation offering. I hope you can fix this soon. Many of us have used this joystick for a long time and would love to use it with MSFS 2020.

Thanks,
SU8

While I agree with the sentiment, I also have been using a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 stick since the Alpha. I doubt there are enough of us left that MS/Asobo is going to bother making a native profile for it. It works completely fine as long as you set it up and it takes about 5 minutes to do.

A more glaring issue (in my opinion) is the lack of native support for Force Feedback, now that would have been a great feature and would even make it viable for third parties to make new peripherals with FFB support! :slight_smile: