Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick question

Hi, just picked up one of these, while there is resistance there doesn’t seen be be any variation regardless of gentle flight or pulling hard G’s. Anyone got experience of this stick in the sim?

Yeah I got one. You need to use extra software (plugin) to get any actual effects from it.
By default it’s just. quite strong (but smooth) centering much like a real spring.

There are a few threads on the forums about it and the options but you are a bit more limited than you were a few months ago, as the current “best option” for the plugin is no longer available it seems. It has been dropped by the developer and any communication hits a brick wall.

That was XP Force. I have it and use it (as I bought it a year ago) and it’s fine but now I think all you could try is AirForce Player. It’s free so nothing to lose, but it’s not that good.

That is all there is. A sad sad state of affairs!!!

EDIT: Just checked and now even THAT leads to a DEAD WEBSITE! WTF!

This is a crazy world.

Hi, thanks for the heads up, I’ll check out the suggestions. Many thanks :+1:

Yes, XP Force is sadly dead, but my copy still works.
I highly recommend to download simFFB to simulate force trim (instantaneous) on helicopters or (progressive) on Airplanes.
GitHub - joeyjojojunior/simFFB. It “only” simulates the spring load/center position of your Stick, but it will change your flight habits positively forever, and you don’t want to go back to a “dead” normal stick.

You have at least to bind the elevator trim in MSFS to…
POV Up = Trim Down
POV Dn = Trim Up
you can also add the aileron trim to left/right.
Uncommon in a GA plane but standard in Military jets.

Now you move the physical center spring position of your Stick when trimming. simFFB takes over the inputs from your POV Hat of your stick in “Progressive” and “Both” mode.

In a helicopter, you have to set up also The “Hold” button in simFFB and also a “Center” to get back to normal center. A good idea is to bind “Reset Trim” in MSFS to the same button as simFFBs “Center”.

an example of what settings I’m using, keep in mind you will have to play around with it, as I have an extension and modded the stick to have double the force.

It seems to be back:

Does it work alongside XPF or a separate thing?

There is no need to run both simultaneously, and no, only one software can take over the FFB control at a time.
XPF simulates the moving of the Stick very
satisfactory when using trim in a Plane.
I switch off XPF and turn on simFFB when I fly a Helicopter.

Sidenote: I use XPForce together with “AxisAndOhs” on a remote computer via Simconnect, so I don’t get the “MSFS is already running, restart the sim Bla Bla” and I don’t need to set up the joystick inside MSFS at all. I can turn XPF or SimFFB on or off on the fly. And there is no problem with communicating with the simulation.

1 Like

Cool, I will give it a try. Thanks!! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Re your sidenote. Ohh neat. I don’t think I have a way to do that. Only got one PC in that room.

This doesn’t have to be a fully fledged computer. I use a 13years old Thinkpad10" tablet with a powered USB 3.0 hub on it as remote simconnect client. All my controllers are connected to it, and I can use the Touchscreen also as a moving Map, ect.
(I learned from the Dune update, that messed up my controller settings)

1 Like

Will follow-up on all this in a few days,looks like my AIO just died on me! :grimacing:

Are you available for hire for home visits?? :smiley: :rofl:

Yeah Dune really messed me up too. Disaster!! Why do they have to mess with this stuff?!

1 Like