Microsoft still hasn't improved their server speeds

I tried to play the game 1.5 days ago, still downloading the updates at 5.37mbps, it crashed so I had to restart then it downloaded a mandatory update at 103+ mbps then started the game and is now downloading the update at this slow pathetic speed! I complained about this a last year and it’s still exactly the same.
Shame on you Microsoft, look at my game stats, I’ve not played the game ever as I spend ALL my time updating the stupid thing!!

1 Like

This is not how things work. When you connect to an Azure server, depending on your location, you will go through what are knows as “hops” through multiple servers. There may be as many as a dozen or more of these hops before you get to your intended destination. A dozen hops means there are 24 stages in any communication with the endpoint server, 12 up and 12 down. If there is congestion or latency on any of those hops then you will have slow speeds. Sadly, there is little to nothing that Microsoft or any other providers can do about this.

You could try using a VPN which will reroute your web traffic.

2 Likes

Hi,
Installed world update IV here (Belgium) today.
Basically no problems, but rather slow download speed.
Most of the time somewhere around 10 - 12 mbps, although a speedtest on my internet connection results in 120 mbps in the same moment…
So complete installations took about 4 - 5 hours…
Had this behaviour also with world update 3…
At initial installation I didn’t face this issue, and reached download speeds from 70 - 100 mbps…
How could I improve download speed for future updates?

FYI, I downloaded all the recent updates at up to 250 Mb/s, my ISP has direct peerings with Microsoft, AWS, Akamaï (IPs seen in traceroutes) so a low datarate experienced here is not due to endpoint servers as EverydayAsh8932 explained, but rather to the different backbones crossed in between your location and servers, and ISPs filtering policies regarding gaming traffic

Remember that both uplink and downlink routes are important, and those routes may be different, depending on how ISPs announce their neighbors each other in the network

Hi @JosDolmans,
Given your location, this topic may be of interest to you:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/very-low-download-speeds-frequent-package-failed-messages/361490

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.