Microsoft Store or Steam?

Dear community,

With my month of XBox Game Pass subscription nearly over it is time to buy the game.
Should I buy it on the Microsoft Store or on Steam? Are there any differences (I read somewhere addons are more expensive for the Steam version)? And does the Steam version need a MS account?
Thank you.

Best,
Underbird

It shouldn’t really matter much. In-game store is same

1 Like

STEAM is a man in the middle, I would go for Microsoft Store.

5 Likes

Updates get done first on Microsoft store.
Can’t think of anything else.

3 Likes

For me, the game is cheaper on Steam. Actually the game costs 4K on steam and the game upgrade(the first upgrade, not the full upgrade), on the store costs 5.5K. (in my country’s currency of course). That been said, If I want to buy a plane I could do it through the in-game store (basically MS store). The Steam version also needs a MS account (I believe it is the same as the Xbox account). I would say, Steam only provides you with a launcher. It installs a simple launcher which then installs the full game. I do not know if Steam is the man in the middle or the launcher is lol. That is another discussion.

2 Likes

It depends on your specific circumstances. Many gamers already have games purchased through and served by the Steam launcher. However, if buyer’s remorse is a possibility, see my post here:

Your chance of getting your money back without follow-on consequence is probably better with the MS Store.

2 Likes

All my games, especially the VR ones, are purchased from Steam. But MFS2020 I bought it from the Microsoft store.

3 Likes

I have FSX for Steam but wouldn’t get MSFS there. You are better off getting it directly from the Windows Store.

1 Like

Microsoft Store. When you buy from Steam, Valve takes 30 percent of your money for doing absolutely nothing. When you buy from MS Store, Microsoft and Asobo developers receive the full amount you paid.

Do you want to support the developers who brought the flight simulator genre back from the dead after a decade? Or do you want to support people who did absolutely nothing for flight sims?

Your choice.

5 Likes

Same here. I have about ÂŁ2500 worth of stuff on Steam, and for any new game or app I always try to buy them from there. But for MSFS 2020 I made an exception. And the purchase from MS Store was my first ever MS Store purchase too

1 Like

This is a good point :+1:t2:. Steam is good for regional pricing! Especially outside Europe and North America. Not even sure if MS or it’s Store does regional pricing.

1 Like

On trial with Xbox Game Pass and thinking the same thing.

Should add that I’ve had numerous issues with the microsoft store not launching the game and “gamingservices” getting corrupted and what not. Heard that this is not new and common with the microsoft store app and their gaming platform. Lousy framework I suppose.

Think I’m gonna go with steam for this one if the prices are exactly the same for addons.

1 Like

For me it was very clear. MS Store! I’m not interested to share my data with third party provider who are acting as a proxy. Despite all the tracker…

1 Like