Microsoft Store will not download MSFS2020 - Download Failure 0x87E00196

Installation Method: PC/DVD install
Do not have any add-ons in your Community folder
Not using Developer Mode

After installing all 10 DVD’s and the system rebooted, I was prompted by the program to insert DVD 1, followed d by the Installation Manager Mandatory Update, this system would then go into update process and generate the following screens, and before I could launch the program, it would close.

Capture 3

I used these links that I got in this forum;

Now the program won’t launch at all!! - I am redirected to use the Microsoft store

At this point I cannot even use the program.

Device Specs: HPZ400
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3550 @ 3.07GHz 3.06 GHz
Installed RAM 48.0 GB
Graphics Card NVIDIA Quadro P4000 8MB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 19044.1645
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

1 Like

Try this.
From the Window’s Apps and Features menu, find MSStore, Xbox app, and Gaming Services.
In each of those from “Advanced Options” select reset.
Try the sim install again.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply TheSeventhflyer… I think the issue now is on there other end… At least I was able to launch the program before … now nothing!
It been 4 weeks now

Did you try this, it only takes about a minute to reset all of them.
Very seldom does it end up being an MS issue.
I would try, and if it doesn’t work open a support request from the “support” tab at the top of the forum page.
Yeah, I’ve had that message as well, it just means you aren’t connecting to them most time I’ve seen it.

Yes and it did not work, I will open a support ticket…thanks
“All I want to do is Fly!”

1 Like

when are they going to do something about this god awful Xbox installer fot the sim . I cant get passed the error 0x00000001 ,i tried all the suggestions in the forums but nothing works .two weeks now and still cant fly

As mentioned above, enter a Support request from the link at the top of the page.

This is exactly where I am now. Can’t do anything. I can sign into my account and click on the download and this is where I end up. Staring at that stupid hung-up page. Very frustrating. As far as have been able to determine, this is no way to talk to a live person about this or any other problem at Microsoft or Asobo… If anyone knows different, it would be greatly accepted…I am greatly fond of this simulator, I am in VR and as a former real world pilot, it is just like stepping into a real cockpit. Such a great experience. I sure wish the developers would streamline the logging in and downloading of updates. It doesn’t have to be this complicated.

I’ve had a related issue the past two days. It seems the MS Store is heavily dependent on the XBox app and Gaming Services. These can both cause issues.

Check out this post and see if it helps you…

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cannot-install-from-ms-store-unknown-available-error/510952/7?u=seven7tango

Thank you soooo much ,i was about to top myself

why would they not tell EVERBODY about this fix,I just spent 2 weeks going into meltdown

It is from a support article “Microsoft Store - Download and Installation issues - Basic Troubleshooting” found in the Support tab at the top of the page.
The third link in the original post on this thread also leads to the article containing it.

UPDATE:
OK Folks!
I have made some install progress with this issue.
Thank you MSFS Support Team for the links provided to resolve my install issue.!
I followed the following links
Support (Microsoft Flight Simulator)

Apr 15, 2022, 21:19 GMT+2

Hi Mark,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Flight Simulator Support today.

Often, issues with launching the app are caused by the Gaming Services that the MS store uses. Try forcing an update of the app by following these steps:

STEP 1 — INSTALL PENDING UPDATES

• Click on Start (the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of your screen)
  • Select Settings
  • Go to Update & Security
  • Stay on Windows Update
  • Click the Check for Updates button.
  • Wait until the verification is finished.

STEP 2 — INSTALL STORE UPDATES AND SIGN OUT

• Click the Store icon pinned to your menu bar or type “Store” in the “Type here to search bar” next to the Start icon then select “Open
  • In the top right corner of the Microsoft Store app—next to your profile icon—click on the Arrow icon or the three-dots menu.
  • In the drop-down menu, select Downloads and updates.
  • Click Get updates then Update all and wait for the updates to install.
  • Once the updates are installed, click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
  • Click on your email address.
  • Click on Sign out.

STEP 3 — SYNCHRONIZE TIME SETTINGS

• Go back to Start, then select Settings > Time & Language.
  • Select Date & Time and toggle the “Set time automatically setting" and “Set time zone automatically” to ON.
  • Click on Synchronize your clock to synchronize your system’s clock with an Internet time server.
  • Then click Region, double-check that your country or region is correctly set up (for example if you live in Canada, make sure that the region isn’t automatically set to the USA or vice-versa)

STEP 4 — REBOOT THE COMPUTER
Do not skip this step, as it is to ensure all changes are correctly applied.

STEP 5 — SIGN IN TO THE MICROSOFT STORE APP

• Open the Microsoft Store app.
  • Click on the icon in the top right corner, then click on Sign in.
  • Sign in with the email address used to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator

Gaming services and other critical updates should now be installed, and Microsoft Flight Simulator should show up as “installed” in your Library.

If the sim is still missing, you’ll need to reinstall Gaming Services via Powershell.

HOW TO REINSTALL GAMING SERVICES

NOTE: Before doing the following, we advise you to back up your registry. For detailed instructions, see: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

1. In the Windows search bar, type Windows PowerShell
  2. In the menu, select “Run as administrator
  3. In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell screen, type the following command and press Enter:
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
  4. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:
    start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
  5. Click Get to install Gaming Services (select Yes if you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt)
  6. Restart your device.

Update:

I was able to successfully get the power shell scripts to work

I ensured that I was logged out of MS Store and X Box Gaming

Upon reboot, I signed in to MS Store and then X Box Gaming with my Microsoft account

Clicked on the library tab in Store

Get Update

Found my version of MSFS Premium and clicked on “ open” button

And it’s now launched the program and are updating, but the Installation Manager stalled on 1 package repeatedly,

MSFS Support suggested the following:
I am in the process of following this now.
Support (Microsoft Flight Simulator)

Apr 18, 2022, 20:03 GMT+2

Hi Mark,

Packages downloading and decompressing issues are caused by conflicts, files corruption, connection, or hardware issues.

To fix your issue please go through the troubleshooting listed in our knowledge base articles.

Start with the basic troubleshooting such as **deleting the .fspatch or .fspackage files (for example, see attachment), disabling security software often known to block files, and closing background tasks.

If you’re on Steam, we invite you to clear the download cache and change the download region as well. You may also check for programs that may be interfering with the Steam Client.

If you’re still stuck move on to moving or deleting the community folder. For instance, outdated or files with incorrect attributes can block the installation.

If none of the above helped make sure there are no hidden/read-only files in the community folder or leftover files from a previous installation. You may need to do a clean install or run the System File Checker.

ADDITIONAL TROUBLESHOOTING
We understand that you would maybe prefer our team to take control of your system to troubleshoot the issue remotely but right now, our best way of supporting Microsoft Flight Simulator players is solely by email. We appreciate you taking the time to follow our step-by-step guides.

Our growing community is a great resource for simmers of all levels though, which is why we would advise joining our Discord channel to ask for guidance in real-time.

Our Student Pilots forum is a safe space for asking questions about basic gameplay functions while the Self-Service forum is the best channel to request technical assistance from experienced simmers. Feel free to click here and search for additional solutions in forum threads marked as solved for instance.

Kind regards,
Microsoft Flight Simulator Support Team
Knowledge base Forums Twitter Facebook Discord SDK Q&A

Attachment(s)
fs_pacth_fs_package_files.PNG

!
Wed, Apr 20 at 10:00 AM

UPDATE:

I was able to get around the Download Package hang issue.

I copied all the fs-base-cgl-0.1.75.fspackage.001 fspackage files from the C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\MSFSPackages\Official\OneStore location and placed them in an external folder.

!

Next - in Windows Security - I turned off Microsoft Defender Firewall

Next - Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections - I turned off TCP/IP v6

Next - IN UAC -I change the selection to Never Modify

Next - I opened the Store App and Launched MSFS via the Open button.

Completely finished the downloads of packages.

Next - Launch the program. -

Got this display

Next - I click on either mode and launch the program.

Next screen

The Program will remain open for about 3-4 minutes then close

I then wen back al reset all the network and security and UAC controls back to default.

l am looking for a solution.

Thanks

I have finally resolved this issue.
I reformatted and reinstalled 10 DVD’s from scratch.
I got it working!

Changes made:
Windows Update:

updates

NVIDIA Quadro P4000

Nidia Quadro P4000 Driver

Additionally,
When the Program Launched and it stalled on this update screen,

I then when and disabled the Firewall

After the downloading the remaining packages, it loaded the Main Screen

Instead of Launching the Flight Training lesson, I figured that the Premium Package has more updates needed than the Standard and Deluxe, So I went to the Content Manager and updated all packages.

and

Once ALL the updates were installed - The Program Launched and remained open. - no failures.

I then turned the firewall back on

firewll-network

Reboot he the system and relaunched the app

Then Loads Menu

Program Runs now without error.

Additionally:
I never once launched this program from the Xbox Service or The MS Store… only from the shortcut that I pinned to the Task bar.
It works fine now.

The heart of all the recoveries I have been able to perform is this sequence:

I have probably had to do this half a dozen times over 2 years.

In the Windows search bar, type Windows PowerShell
In the menu, select “Run as administrator”
In the Administrator: Windows PowerShell screen, type the following command and press Enter:
get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:
start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
Click Get to install Gaming Services (select Yes if you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt)
Restart your device.

All users need to keep this on a note card taped to the bottom of their keyboard… or in a little desktop text file so you can drag and drop the lines into Powershell.

Have fun.