Milviz Cessna 310 Trim Issue

I’m flying the Cessna 310 for MSFS and noticed the Autopilot was having a hard time keeping altitude. it would maintain for a while but then at some point pitch up violently.

So when I take manual control at cruise altitude, I notice that to keep the plane straight and level, you have to trim her all of the way forward. And this was causing the AP to shut off because it won’t work if the trim is too extreme.

Take a look at my screenshot and notice I’m straight and level and the trim while is completely forward. Anyone else experience this? It’s causing me to not be able to use AP

Have you got passengers/luggage loaded in the rear of the plane? Centre of gravity maybe too far towards the rear. Potentially it may also be a controller conflict?

i just used the built in W&B function on the tablet. under max weight. but i think the issue might be with MSFS instead of the Cessna 310, i’m looking into it

I haven’t noticed your issue but will check.

I have a related issue with AP altitude changes. I can select an altitude and it will climb to that initially. If then set a lower altitude, I have to use VS to set the descent rate but one click on the DWN button in the AP panel immediately sets me to more than 1000’+ descent rate not 100’ as I would expect. I should report to MilViz to see if they have it logged. It is repeatable (for me) everytime.

I’ve asked the devs to check this…

Looks wrong to me as well. Even at 5500ft and mixture full rich ( 2200rpm low ). level flight @140 knots … does NOT look right to have to have FULL trim.

Are you smuggling GOLD in the back there ???

1 Like

Check the engine temp gauge pct hp for the mixture. To get the best value you need to lean a lot at 5500.

Even though you are using the 310 tablet to add weight/passengers, the weight distribution is not shown there (from memory). For example if you have passengers in the rear seat but no luggage in the nose the CG is a little too far towards the rear… this you can see by looking at the MSFS weight fuel dialogue.

Alternatively I wonder if this may be related to the issues you are having with your controls/calibration in another thread.

My only complaint is the electric trim (on the yoke) is not as reliable as the manual wheel trim.

Gents, am unable to set elevator trim…appears that it has its own mind.
I have checked all my settings on controllers…all set correctly.
Also using “MODERN” setting.
I do not have this problem with any other aircraft…just the 310.
I must be doing something incorrectly, but after searching the internet, nothing stands out…
Any ideas?

Check your axis assignments. You probably have a double.

Thanks for reply…done all that…something weird and wonderful has happened since I did a reinstall a couple of days ago.
I haven’t bothered to install the Top Gun add on, so I can delete the idea that has something to do with it.
As I said before, the elevator works fine in all the other aircraft, just not the 310…if I scratch my head much more I’ll lose the few hairs I have left.

Update…
Tried a cold and dark start…elevator trim was controllable…
However, when the battery was turned on…trim automatically creeps into a full nose down position…then after a short time, reverts back to a take off setting…but kept creeping forward…I couldn’t stop it from this action.
I have checked all possible conflicts on my controllers…they appear to be all in order.

Are you by chance using a Honeycomb Bravo, @WobblyDuck3467 ?

A while ago I had a similar problem with unexplained changes to my elevator trim. It went away after I toggled the AP setting on the Bravo.

Funny thing was that this was when I was flying an aircraft which didn’t have pitch control in its autopilot!

Yep, am using the HB and the HA.
Your suggestion re the AP on the HB did the trick…light fix from honeycomb hadn’t been installed.
Thanks again for your tip.

Excellent, glad to hear it.

I downloaded the 310 and it crashes my msfs when I select it , I tried everything , can someone help? the Milviz page just has a forum no customer support

1 Like

Page 3 of the manual