Milviz Corsair Rear Ballast Purpose

What is the purpose for the rear ballast setting on the Corsair. I was hoping it could be used to reduce tendency to nose over when using the brakes. I am having a lot of difficulty getting the plane to slow down after landing, nose over is very difficult to avoid. If the rear ballast isn’t for this purpose what else can be done to slow this plane down?

As I recall there was a tendency for the aircraft to spawn already nosed over. The ballast fixed this.

(You might note that sometimes when you spawn in you notice your aircraft “bounce” as if it has been dropped.
Happens with a lot of different aircraft at different locations. As if spawn height is a few feet off the ground.)

Thanks for the reply. I am not having this problem when the aircraft spawns. It’s in the braking. I have to go very easy on the brakes to keep from nosing over. So easy, in fact, that I have trouble slowing down enough to get off the runway before running off the end. Unless it’s a very long runway. Even if I get down below 100 before touching down. When you buy an aircraft from Microsoft where is it installed in my computer? Is there a .cfg file that can be modified to maybe tone this tendency down a bit?

As you brake, be sure to apply back pressure to the stick. This will help keep you tail on the ground.

Oh yes, I do that too. Back on the stick to keep the tail wheel down.

I read the little bit of info about the rear ballast that’s in the manual. It looks like it is only there until the airplane is started then it disappears. I am going to give it a try this evening and see what happens.

I put 100 lbs of ballast in the back and it didn’t make a whole lot of difference, if any. The only thing I might not be doing that all the pilots that are not having this problem is, I am not using rudder pedals with toe brakes. I have a Saitek X56 flight system. The rudder is the twisty function on the joystick and I use the trigger for the brakes. Does anyone think having the rudder pedals will make that much difference? Is there anyone in this forum flying the Corsair? If so, how do you get your plane to slow down and stop without tipping over?

I have an X52 Pro and I got much better results by mapping both left and right brake axes to the slider on my throttle.

The primary trigger on the stick is basically a digital input so in spite of the binding being called "increment brake pressure" by using the trigger you will always be applying either 0% braking force or 100% braking force.

I tried doing your thing and mapped my left and right brakes to the slider on my throttle. When I put on the brakes using the slider I don’t get any brakes until the slider gets to the end of its travel. Then it grabs just like the trigger brakes and I nose over. On your setup, if you move the slider half way do you get brakes but with half as much pressure? On mine I get no brakes until the end of slider travel then full brakes.

On your setup, if you move the slider half way do you get brakes but with half as much pressure?

Yes.

The slider shows up as an axis you can adjust the sensitivity/dead zones/etc for in the control options, doesn’t it?

The slider on the X52 Pro may be somewhat different than the one on the X56, though. In pictures at least I’d say the X52 Pro’s has more travel.

I also have an X52. I don’t use it anymore because I felt like it was losing some precision. So I bought the X56 which also has a lot of buttons and switches. The X52 slider does have more travel and it has a graphic showing graduations from low to high. The one on the X56 doesn’t have that graphic but I don’t know why they would make it a slider if it wasn’t suppose to work like a rheostat. I did see the sensitivity adjustments for the slider but I don’t know how to set it yet. Any pointers?

Last year I got a set of rudder pedals with bakes. Made all the difference in the world. Problem solved.

When first released a couple of years ago, there were situations in which the plane would do a somersault when starting cold and dark. It was the only way the developers could figure out how to keep it from happening. I have no idea if it’s still necessary, that was a long time ago and many sim updates ago. In fact, from before we had the sim updates/world updates stuff :wink:

Yes, rudder pedals will definitely help and make flying much easier for you, as well as braking.
But, you’ll still need to be careful with the brakes with tail draggers. It definitely takes practice getting to know an airplane. It’s hard to fly without rudder pedals, especially with cross-wind landings and takeoffs.