MilViz Corsair won't stay running

I’ll pick the Corsair to fly, it loads, it spawns with me in the cockpit - propeller spinning. The engine immediately dies and prop stops. All of the controls are in the correct position for a normally running engine.
I tried Control E, auto start, no luck. When I use the mouse and click the Starter button, the starter engages, turns the prop, but then I can’t disengage the starter and the engine will continuously turn with the starter at 500rpm. At no time can I get the engine to even cough like it wants to start.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Nudge the mixture once it loads. I think the mixture is at 0% when you load on the runway, regardless of where your controls are positioned. Also make sure your mags are on if you have them bound to a controller. Those are the two things that kill my Corsair when I load on the runway using the Honeycomb Bravo: not nudging the mixture lever and having the mags switched off.

The start-up sequence can get bugged if it’s done in the wrong order too I believe. It’s a bug I think they’re working on fixing.

If you don’t do it in the right order, you may, effectively, break the aircraft. Or prevent it from starting.
FOLLOW THE CHECKLIST… that’s what it’s there for.

1 Like

Just follow this startup and it will keep running.

Thanks for the responses, but I’m not sure the last two people understand what is happening.

As I spawn into the game the aircraft is already running and all controls are in the “after a successful start position”, that is when the engine just quits. I spawn in and the engine quits within a few seconds.

I can turn all controls back to the off position, try a cold start, but once the starter engages, the engine never fires up, it just cranks with the starter.

We have noticed aberrant behaviors sticking in the aircraft when another aircraft was used prior… Not sure if this is your issue but, if you get on our support forums, we will see what we can do for you.

Did immediately changing the mixture help any?

Can you start the plane when you load from a parking spot with the engine off? If not, that might help troubleshoot what’s going on here.

I cannot comment on the Corsair, as I do not own that aircraft (yet - still waiting for it in the in-game marketplace ;)), but I can add my observations with the T-45CGoshawk and Spitfire:

• With the T-45C Goshawk, when you do a “cold & dark” start (= spawning on a parking space / gate), even when you press CTRL + E (“start engine and everything”) the engine does start, but not all levers are put into proper state: e.g. the “Generator” (next to the “Battery”) switch is still off, “Flight Augmentation” is still off etc. - the engine keeps running, but you do have a couple of (remaining) warning lights showing up. The take-away message here is: even when you “start the engine” with CTRL + E not all (aircraft-specific!) levers might be put into proper place. I am not sure whether that is an “oversight” of the aircraft engineer, or a limitation in FS2020 itself. But do check ALL levers in the aircraft, even after CTRL + E (or better: “Follow the checklist” ;))

Now when you “spawn on the runway” I believe that this is “the equivalent of CTRL + E”. I am not familiar with the MSFS SDK as far as aircraft construction is concerned, but I believe that each aircraft should bring a “set of configurations” for each such “condition” (e.g. for “Start Engine”, “Shut down engine”, “Airborne”, “Spawn on Location” etc.). So my expectation would also be that all levers and switches are properly set once you “spawn” e.g. on the runway. Again, this might only relate to “standard simulation variables” (but not to aircraft-specific variables) and hence a (current) limitation in FS2020 (the SDK) itself, or an oversight of the aircraft engineer to properly define the state of the aircraft for the given condition (“Airborne”, “On Runway”…).

• With both airplanes, when I have the “INCR / DECR” (?) lever on my Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Throttle in full DECR position (that lever is bound to “Mixture”) then the engine dies as well - even with the T-45C which actually doesn’t have a “Mixture” lever in the cockpit itself. Again the message here is: check your controller settings, they might impact your aircraft (even if your aircraft doesn’t have such an explicit lever in the cockpit: those values coming from your external hardware might still impact the “engine simulation” in FS2020!)

Unfortunately, we have zero control, that we know of, on this.

I’ll try my Corsair later when I get in and see if I get the same issue. Mainly fly it from cold and dark but will try spawning on the runway and see what it does👍

Here’s a dumb question, how do you start with a “cold and dark” aircraft? I always spawn onto a runway with it running (all aircraft). Is there a check box to start on the ramp, power off?

I had the same problem with the piper, I completely uninstalled the aircraft then installed again and it fixed the problem, you could try that

If you find your airport you want to fly from, then click on the round world map marker to open the menu then click zoom to details, scroll mouse wheel to zoom in, select your ramp/gate, click set as departure, click fly :+1:

I find it easier to just select the Gate or Ramp from the droplist.

But yea, to the OP… Try starting cold and dark that way and follow the checklist step-by-step.

1 Like

True if and once you know which gate you want to go from; in this instance seemed like the better option to explain seeing as mjfur1 asked how to do it :+1:

1 Like

Or simply choose a starting gate / parking space in the dropdown menu above the earth view :wink:

Ok, loaded the sim, first flight ,spawned on the runway. Clicked fly and the engines idling nicely at 750rpm and didn’t cut out- default settings on starting are mixture control 100%, throttle control and propeller rpm at 0%.

Just gone back to the menu, picked another aircraft and done a quick flight.

Back to menu, select the Corsair again, fly from the runway and engines idling just fine, so a bit of a mystery there what’s causing your engine to cut out and not restart.

Perhaps try loading the sim, first flight with the Corsair, spawn on a ramp/gate and follow the checklist/manual and start her up from cold and dark. Stick with it, and let us know how you get on.

Then there’s the fun of getting it down the runway and into the air :grimacing: but it’s so worth it when you get there :+1:

Just quoting Jeremy as you don’t appear to have seen his comment or my reply to it :roll_eyes:

Thanks for all the help. I ended up reloading the plane to the game and that fixed it.

1 Like