Milviz PC6 -- Throttle / Propeller issues

Su7 bugs aside with Prop Feather and Reverse thrust, which I have workarounds for, I have some questions about this model and its touted (non-existent) BETA decent and seemingly excessive thrust @ low idle on the tarmac.

Condition lever @ low idle Throttle lever back @ stop, prop full, release the parking brake and the plane will start rolling pretty hard down the runway. 40kts comes pretty quickly. High idle is enough to take off. I know the prop model/physics leaves a lot to be desired right now, but this seems way off.

In-flight, pulling back to “BETA” range produces no drag whatsoever. If I slow to 70kts (Flight Idle), then nose over to 5deg nose down, I will accelerate upto 120-130kts VERY quickly. Full flaps will keep it just below 120kts. Hard slips and full flaps are needed to get below 90 knots on a 5 deg down angle.

If I drop the prop into a feather in flight, the plan slows down pretty well, so I’ll use prop feather and full flaps to scrub speed on a rapid descent as well. Totally lose rudder authority here, so can’t use it too often.

The provided manual talks about this feature, which is well known IRL for this plane… However, this version seems to lack it entirely either due to core MSFS issues or model issues.

This is my ONLY concern/issue with this plane. Again, outside the mess, SU7 left, ongoing Turboprop logic issues (No alt or ambient temp impact on Torque, ITT decrease with alt STILL!!!) It’s a blast to fly and I am quite happy with it in my collection.

Regarding BETA excessive idle thrust, is this normal given the poor state of propeller modeling or am I missing something?

1 Like

the beta works very well, if you have the Milviz. The Asoba Porter has no beta

I do have the Milviz, but it has zero effect. Going to remove the ASBO one (If i can) and re-install Milviz one.

hmm, strange…
Just tested, from a height of 7000, about 60 degrees, no flaps. Rises to 120kt and then slowly falls to 95kt to the ground.

Deleted all the Asobo version files. Deleted the Milviz folder and re-installed it.

Working much better now…

Yeah that ain’t it…there is no interaction between the Asobo porter and the Milviz one.

Beta works in the Milviz and to a lesser extent the Asobo one apparently as well (see the GotGravel mod for it which much improves this)

As for excessive thrust, I agree with you there, I’m constantly riding the brakes. Also after landing I find the brakes are too weak to slow the plane until you switch to low idle thrust. You have to use the reverse thrust to slow.

You need to stay in high idle during flight. It can go into beta on high idle.

1 Like

@Matchrocket

Taxi in low idle should not give a speed over 35knots. Beware that the middle position of the lever is not Low Idle which is set using the small wheel at the bottom right. The CL should reach the small red gate and the gauge show 51% Ng.

I do enter into the Beta range with a 15° angle of descent all right most of the time at 90 knots level. But I admit the model is still perfectible as sometimes it does not work.

1 Like

You shouldn’t « constantly » ride the brakes while taxiing if Ng is at 51%, see my post above.

Using reverse after touching ground is normal on a short to medium size runway,

About the idle thing. It is a minimum turbine setting 51% for Low, 69 % for High. Both with the trottle at idle,

A minimum of 69% allows for a faster spooling (reaching max torque) when you are in a bind. Thats why you use it from the take off on. But on ground it gives you a runaway aircraft. You use 51 % while taxiing as you do not need fast spooling.

I’ll check that again. The condition lever axis binding is funky after Su7, Lever moves about 2x speed vs my lever on the BRAVO, could be I am not where I think I am in the range, will check NG.

Cleared my condition lever bindings from the sim, and used Axis and Oh’s for it. Set range to 10% - 100%. The bound the cut-off button to MIXTURE1_DEC and set it to a value of 20.

Works PERFECTLY now. Before I was fighting the range moving 2x the speed of the handle. I suspect the COndition lever axis in the SIM is (-100 - +100) not 0-100.

Did the same for prop and throttle and everything works beautifully now. Idle speeds are controlled, and beta works great…

@Matchrocket The « lever » should have only three positions. On former Portef models, it was a pull/push knob If I am not mistaken with another switch for the cut off.

Be sure that the LI gives you 51% Ng not more.

1 Like

Low is exactly 51ng now

1 Like

How can I set the Prop Pitch Axis on my TQ-6, that I can move the Prop Lever to feather range? If I use the Propeller Axis of the sim or in SpadNext the feather position can not be set.

Is Feather a “switch” in the TQ-6 when it is pulled fully back? If so, use that button to trigger “Decreaes pitch”.

In AAO I can set that decreaes value to 20% and it will feather perfectly every time. I am doing the same thing for Reverse, and fuel cut off right now.

“Toggle feather” button does not work? Seems a better solution than “Decrease pitch”. it worked fine in the last update.

Thank you all for your help. “Decreasing Pitch” works well. Now I can enjoy the PC-6 more. :grinning:

1 Like

Isn’t that Asobo’s current way of working? Lots of things worked fine in the last update, Tottle Feather, Reverse thrust, and fuel cut-offs were removed from the functional list as part of SU7.

1 Like

Hi, I’m new to PC-6.
Would someone PLS explain to me how to move throttle to reverse range? The only way I found out is to map a key to “DECREASE THROTTLE” but if I press the key shortly (with the throttle lever on 0%) lever does not move backwards. If I press the key longer, the lever skips to full reverse. Then I can move it with the mouse within reverse range.
Any idea how to move the throttle from idle (0%) to reverse continually without the above-mentioned skip to full reverse?
(BTW I have Honeycomb BRAVO throttle - is there any way how to map the throttle to work properly for reverse?)
THX

Hold or toggle reverse thrust is broken by SU7. A patch is on the way. Until then you can only do it like you described.