Milviz Pilatus PC-6 Porter

OnAir is very good at delivering missions to the most obscure bush strips, many of which I visit once and never again!

BUT, I’ve just relocated the Kodiak to Nepal and the selection of fields there is much smaller than the western US and some gardening may well be in order.

Is there a resource you could point me towards to learn how to weild my digital chainsaw?

(And I can’t help wondering if “50’ obstacle” somehow got translated in the code to “50meter”…we have after all seen other such metric conversion errors in the SIM)

3 Likes

Oh, it’s so bad sometimes, isn’t it? There are public airports in the sim with trees obscuring the PAPI boxes, much less simply an obstacle in front of the threshold. No way they’d meet FAR 77 requirements. There should almost be a checkbox in the SDK to normalize obstacles in the designated approach surfaces.

1 Like

:rofl:

It’s been a long time since I’ve perused YouTube for videos on MSFS scenery development, so I can’t recommend good ones anymore, it’s a whole lot easier now than it was.

What I do is install Airport Design Editor, and have it create a project from the stock airport. It’s a little iffy there to get things right, but you’ll get it.

You’ll have to decide where you want to create your projects (I put it in Documents\MyFSProjects).

Then start up MSFS in Developers mode, and open the project (xml file at the root of the project directory) you created. In the “Project” window, Click on the project name arrow so you can see the “BGL” asset. Select that and in the “Inspector” window, select to “Load in Editor”.

Then, in the “Objects” window, select “Polygon” and create a Polygon over the trees you want to remove. To create the polygon, I select “Add”, then click about where I want to create the polygon on the scenery, then hold the Ctrl key and click points to “draw” the polygon a line at a time. Double click to end the creation process. You can move points by clicking on them. With the Polygon still selected, choose “Vegetation” check box, and set the (I forget the name, Density I think), and set it to 0. This should erase the trees.

You can also exclude buildings and photogrametry (TIN) with a polygon. So if there are photogrametric trees (those super ugly ones), you’ll also want to select “Exclude Buildings” (or maybe it’s just “Buildings”?), click the list open, and click on the types of buildings/stuff you want to exclude that falls within the polygon. You’ll see them permanently disappear when you’ve selected the correct option. Each time you select stuff, buildings will rebuild themselves. But they’ll stay disappeared when you select the right option.

You might need an “Exclusion Rectangle” for some things, like windsocks, simobjects, lights, car parking lots, etc, etc… They’re a little bit of a pain, because when you select “Add”, it adds this humongous rectangle. To resize it, you have to select the dots on each side and drag them to where you want them. I forget if you can rotate exclusion rectangles.

To rotate things, click with the middle mouse button on the coordinate system that shows up for what you have selected, and you’ll see the edit mode change of the coordinate system. You’ll see a plane you can select so that it slides in a plane, and you’ll see circles for rotating in each plane, which is a pain in the butt when you want to rotate out of plane, because you have to orient the object into the direction of the direction you want to rotate, or you’ll “twist” your object. You have to turn off “stick to ground” (or whatever it is) to rotate an item out of plane. Be very careful when dragging runway objects. They are not stuck to ground, and change height and change the landscape very easily. First is planar move, next is rotate, next is scale. You can also adjust things like scale and position with the “Gizmo” window you can open from the menus in the Scenery Editor Window.

Create as many Polygons as you need.

When you’re done, in the Scenery Editor window select “Save Scenery” at the bottom under the list of stuff you created. If it asks for a name for the shape file, make sure you name it something different from your airport xml file (you named that when you created the project, even though you don’t know that).

Then, select the project name again in the Project window, and in the Inspector window, Select “Build Package” at the bottom of that window. Close the project in the Project window, exit MSFS, and navigate to your MyFSProjects directory. Assuming you didn’t see any errors when you compiled your project in the big “Console” window that will pop up when you build your package, in your project directory you created will be a “Packages” directory. In there should be your package (directory) that you can copy to your community directory.

If all works well, your trees should be gone when you start MSFS again.

It took me longer to type this than it actually takes to do. But, it will likely take a couple of tries before things work well for you.

After you’ve done that, you can add objects to your scenery from the “Scenery” selection in the “Objects” window, and add taxi paths by connecting taxiway points, and then add taxiwayParking spots, which you have to connect to your taxi paths. And on and on. Tons to learn and have fun doing. But, removing the trees is pretty easy.

There’s lots of people and threads to read for help over at FSDeveloper.

2 Likes

Just another one of the many slightly maddening frustrations of MSFS. Of course there are trees in front of the PAPI: the PAPI is in the wrong place anyway!

I wouldn’t care if I didn’t love it so much!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to put that all down. Although I may curse you once I find myself falling into the scenery editing rabbit hole…

1 Like

If you watch videos of Zehr Air on yt, he talks about this. You cannot use beta when landing because it blocks the airflow to the tail.

On short final, but not during the landing flare. The throttle has to be retarded to idle (which will put the prop into beta).

The prop airflow is going to be disturbed/blocked by the wings and fuselage during the high attitude flare.

2 Likes

Hah, well that’s the thing - the PAPIs are usually too far down the runway, so if the trees are covering them up, it’s even more egregious!

1 Like

Correct, on flare yes.

On a side note, did you watch the video where he was doing circuits/checkrides with a senior pilot…who was wearing a full-on fighter pilot helmet?! I’m sure there were great reasons, but it gave me the giggles. Sort of a vote of low confidence…

I had an issue with the G1000 version’s autopilot not performing as expected. It literally did a loop when I engaged it. But with the Stage 2 analog version, it works just fine, and that’s the version I prefer anyway.

That was remarkable yes. I guess the check airman could actually be in the military or coast guard, he has that vibe over him.

1 Like

OK, so here is a landing just now at 0S9 (NW
of Seattle). Live weather, with light winds from the WNW. I have about 600lbs of fuel and a payload of 6 pax + pilot - so fairly heavy.

It was a bit of a rubbish landing tbh - the was more of a crosswind than expected and a single random tree on the threshold meant I came in steep & fast and had a small bounce with my 3-pointer. But the point is I landed at 55KIAS - no floating.

(and if you have sharp eyes you can see the PAPI, halfway down the field and partially obscured by trees…)

See this thread: PAPI and VASI lights have wrong placement, causing long landings, or are missing

I have a ton of examples. Smaller runways (4000’ and under) are by far the most incorrect. I’m not about to go correct thousands of these.

1 Like

A High alpha attitude on final approach during decent will get your speed down to minimal levels rather quickly. If you’re having difficulty slowing down your nose is too low. Pitch for speed, power for altitude.

There is a wishlist for the trees issue;

74 votes so it can safely be ignored.

Yeah, the voting system is horrible. Isn’t something like “WE WANT TRAINS!” at the top of the votes? Like any true flight simmer would care that much about moving trains.

Trains would be nice, sure.

But not necessary. The whole wishlist is conceptually flawed as it draws no such distinction in topics.

Anything that effects the core flight experience should be prioritised. Maybe those need to be reported as bugs - those are not vote dependent, but evidence based.

1 Like

Good demo. Heavy and windy I can make it work on high idle, although this landing is nothing like what would be possible with a Caravan.
Try the same light, no external tanks, fuel in mains half full, basically the return of a skydiver bus. Also add almost no wind.
I am not doing anything different on my landings, if anything I am coming in even more conservative. That moment where you do your first pitch up, the first part of your round-out, is where mine would keep flying, not dropping an inch, if all of the above conditions are true.

Thank you And I shall, and will make a video. But I’ve been flight testing the PC-6 and have already done dozens of no-wind, empty, ‘spawn on the runway’ weight landings using the calm weather preset and I find it even easier to plant and stop it. I’m wary of comparisons to the stock Caravan. It is not well modelled at all.

One thing I am going to try is this new flight logging app that just came out as it should give accurate data on take off and landing roll distances.

1 Like