Minimalist rotary controls

I bought a MiniMacro5c keypad with 5 rotary encoders from LeafCutter

Capture.PNG

I use it to control COM1 radio tuning (grey and blue knobs) heading bug (purple), AP altitude (red) and elevator trim (orange). Pressing down on each knob also does things like radio swapping.

The only problem I have is that FS2020 itself refused to reliably read the keypad so I use FSUIPC and make sure it’s in focus on a second monitor when I want to use the knobs.

Cool I’ve been looking for some knobs to control the radio/nav channels for VR. Are they plug and play or do I need to buy other components? Also are the range knobs or rotary encoder (no stops)? I don’t need to spend a bunch of money on a sim radio stack that has a display when I’m in VR.

No stops. Each one has 12 detents and they have a press down function too which I use for triggering things like heading or altitude hold. Nothing else required, the unit comes with a USB C port and the supplier had already loaded it with QMK firmware though, like I said, I had to modify it slightly to get it to work with MSFS, but that’s pretty easy even if you don’t have any programming experience.

ah nice too bad they are sold out. I’ll have to keep checking back.

OK so this kit showed up. The kit is just some pre-cut circuit boards, LED strips, and an optional single Arduino clone (Pro Micro). For what ever reason I was thinking I was going to get some buttons and rotaries with the kit. A quick visit to Amazon got me some push buttons and rotaries the next day. After playing around with the Pro Micro on a breadboard for a bit, I decided I was going to do this differently. I actually want this to show up and act like a Joystick with rotary knobs instead of a KB emulator.

I found this Joystick library from here: GitHub - MHeironimus/ArduinoJoystickLibrary and merged it with this rotary encoder library here: GitHub - brianlow/Rotary

I now have a very well functioning rotary encoder joystick. I think it works better than my X56 rotary. Mainly because I’m able to control the button press duration, etc. While the code is functional as is, I think I’m going to rewrite both libraries. They are not how I would design the code for ease of use.

I’ve just ordered some of the dual encoders from PropWash and will 3d print this panel Thingiverse to hold the single and dual encoders.

I’m also going to try these out since they have more ram and a better CPU: HiLetgo 3pcs ESP8266 NodeMCU . I see they are Arduino compatible so hopefully the same code will work. I like that they have more ram and CPU. I think I can also use more pins with interrupts vs pulling (the Pro MIcro only has 4 pins that work with Interrupts).

So after doing all of that, my Honeycomb flight yoke showed up and I’m hitting this bug Heading Increment Bug (10 degree instead of 1). So maybe KB mapping might be the way to go. Really Asobo should fix the bug. Looks like there is a workaround to use FSUIPC7 but not ideal.

When I get everything built I post some pics.

Not really, if i understand what you’re doing properly. Holding keyboard buttons will also trigger the bug. Since you have complete control over the commands sent by your hardware, you can simply send pulses rather than always on signals. That should keep the bug from showing up, at least with your rotary encoders.

Nice!
Heath Robinson and I are proud of you.
I like to cannibalise the gubbins out of old joysticks etc and stick them into project boxes for my sins.

Right but the issue is the Honeycomb yoke holding buttons down (the switches) and the bug in FS that is applies that to all other inputs. Until FS is fixed I’ll either need to un-map all of the honeycomb switches or use some 3rd party software to intercept the switches and do a press/release.

That seems to be the case, unfortunately…

Bit chicken and egg there really!
The honeycomb buttons mess up a lot of other kit as well.