Missing gaps in reflections

Has anyone else noticed these gaps? These are present in other aircraft and other areas like window edges, struts etc.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a technical explanation, which someone will supply, but my understanding is that the reflections are rendered after everything else is onscreen, so only what is visible can have a reflection. Where the struts obscure the scenery, the reflections canā€™t be rendered. I guess they are simply removed, so that you wonā€™t get the struts reflected in the water, which would be weird.

Notice that reflections are also missing toward the edges (left and right) of the windshield even though there is nothing thereā€¦ and the amount of reflection missing is different between the two tubes (e.g. the gaps are not equal even though the tubes themselves are equal).

I guess the edges fade out so that weā€™re not constantly seeing reflections drawing as we turn.
Looking at the missing strips, they do roughly match the area where the struts obscure the actual scenery ā€“ they differ in size because on the left the scenery is closer, hence towards the narrow end on the strut, and on the right side where the scenery is covered the strut is wider.

These reflection gaps really bug me

Hi all! I know this is not a bug, but it is kind of an immersion breaker for me, specially when panning around. Can it be solved somehow?

Yes, I have the same problem, have seen others who have it too. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s a known issue.

Same this happens with grass on snow mixture, bldgs, etc.

Also happens when scenery elements go behind the canopy frames from the cockpit - the corresponding part of the scenery is not being reflected as itā€™s out of sight and (presumably) not being rendered.

Obviously itā€™s for performance reasons as the less being reflected the better, but I would like a setting that could improve it at the cost of some performance.

I might argue that it is a bug. Just perhaps not the one that makes the top of the ā€˜bugā€™ listā€¦

1 Like

Reflections will probably be improved with DX12

1 Like

Well, I am not an expert :slight_smile: but I saw this effect on other games so I guess it must be some kind of issue more than a bug.

1 Like

I believe the reason this happens is that the reflection effect is done ā€œin screen spaceā€, which means it post-processes already-rendered imagery. Anything that has already been rendered is available for a much faster lookup in the reflection algorithm ā€“ you just have to intersect with a rendered 2d buffer with a depth buffer recording where in 3d space each pixel came from, versus bajillions of polygons!

GPUs like the newer nvidia RTX cards with dedicated ray tracing units can do reflections that donā€™t have this limitation, but thisā€™ll at least have to wait on DirectX 12 before Asobo can implement it.

3 Likes

You could be right ā€¦ I did say ā€˜I might argueā€¦ā€™ because I might well be wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No.

Brief description of the issue:
Scenery/mountain reflections in the water fade at fixed spots on the screen, the fading basically follows the plane. It happens both in-cockpit and with the outside view. The issue is 100% repeatable on my system.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
I have a short video available but this forum limits upload size to 4MB, so hereā€™s a screenie:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Get to any coastal place on the planet and start a flight. Preferably a spot where mountains are reflected in the water, like SAWH. Fly toward the coast/reflections and bank left or right looking at the reflections and what happens. Position will vary a bit depending on plane used but the effect is always very noticeable.

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
i7-10700 / 32GB / RTX3070 @ 2560x1440 - reflections, etc. on ultra / VSync 30 frames locked

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
Sim Update 5 - build 1.18.13.0

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store Version

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
Not yet.

Honestly never had the issue until the last update, and itā€™s really very evident in both cockpit and outside view. Iā€™m going to see if thereā€™s a place where I can upload the video because that will definitely make it clear.

Finally somebody mentioned it lol. The SU5 is fantastic but the water reflections and the shimmeriing/AA on it its weird.

Yes, itā€™s always been like this.

1 Like

Thereā€™s always been weird reflection gaps in the water since before the initial release. Maybe itā€™ll finally be fixed with dx12?

3 Likes

That issues with reflections were present in previous iterations is correct, but since the update the effect is much more noticeable (in my case, at least). Any suggestions aside from YouTube to temporarily upload a 90MB video?

1 Like