Missing VOR

Hi,
A small question about VOR points.
Since the beginning of MFS, I have found many VOR points that do not exist in MFS, I just wonder why?
Is it the different software that gives false frequencies of VORs, or MFS has a gap and why these VORs are not up to date when they are accessible to everyone. I ask, because I flew this morning with the DC6 from Lisbon to Gibraltar and the Gibraltar VOR was not known and I was still surprised that I could not get the VOR. Well I still managed to land even though I ended up crashing, after touchdown the plane went left, full right rudder, I ended up in the sea 

Maybe the VOR is decommissioned? I don’t see the GBR VOR with my Navigraph subscription, or in Skyvector. The one chart I found with GBR was from 2005.

I’m guessing it’s no longer active, which would mean what you experienced was correct.

Here is Little NavMap with an up-to-date Navigraph database.

With the advent of GPS navigation, a lot of VOR’s will be decommissioned or they already have been. Canada, had started to decomm VOR’s about 5 - 7 years ago. Thinning them out, to only a handful in most areas that don’t have major airports.

But having said that, you might want to take a look at NAVAIDs are missing from the World Map. It would appear that there is a problem with some Navaids.

1 Like

Since MSFS is updated automatically with the latest AIRAC cycle monthly, using up to date charts/data is very much recommended.

When flying into gibraltar, you’ll also notice all of the civilian approaches have been removed. It’s now all ‘contact ATC’, and getting vectored in by the military tower. The world changes, and MSFS changes along with it.

1 Like

Hi @ImDrako2132. I moved your post here to the #self-service:atc-traffic-navaids subcategory and added the “vor” tag to help with searchability. Good luck in your search for a solution.

1 Like

Thank you all for your response. It is possible that in my previous experiences, my charts were not up to date.
For this one in Gibraltar I made a mistake, I didn’t choose a VOR point, but a DME point which has a frequency of 113.6. So the dc6 doesn’t know how to read a distance just on a DME. My display was empty of time and distance indication.

Hi,
I have another question, when you reach a VOR point and continue on to the next point, do you have to change the course to follow first and then change the radio frequency or the other way round or whatever?

Normally you’ll stay tuned to the first VOR and fly it outbound until about halfway, then tune the next VOR and fly it inbound the remainder of the distance.

1 Like

It depends on where you are going. Each VOR has 360 radials like spokes on a wheel. Each radial is numbered according to the magnetic bearing going outbound from the center of the VOR. Flying TO a VOR, the direction you would fly is the reciprocal of the radial. That is to fly to a VOR a magnetic heading of 50° you would fly on the 230° radial. If you continue straight ahead on the 50° heading after crossing the VOR, you would fly on the 50° from the VOR. Generally, one VOR frequency is in NAV1 and the next VOR frequency is in NAV2. You’d be receiving both VORs at the same time. When you are about halfway between the two VORs, start navigating using NAV2. Then change the NAV1 frequency to the 3rd VOR in your flight plan. Repeat until you arrive at your destination.

There are a LOT of instructional videos about VOR navigation on YouTube and a lot of printed documentation. VOR navigation is challenging to learn but worth it!

2 Likes

Thank you for your explanations

Hi, IIRC GBR is a DME station, rather than VOR. It has been unservicable for a couple of years IRL, but not decommisioned to the best of my knowledge.

1 Like