[Missions] Flight training missions return with FS Academy - VFR

the update on the marketplace was automatically installed, i could think have the last version ?

and i tried two times… i have done this stage on the precedent version, without difficulty…

Please get in touch here with screenshots and more info so I can take a look at your flight path and see where the mission stops for you.

wwe.fsacademy.co.uk/support-vfr

Hi, I bought yesterday this add on. Very interesting :slightly_smiling_face:
I have a problem with the first lesson, when I have to slow to 60kts heading west I can’t complete the task.
Maybe a bug?

1 Like

Hi, it does look like you’re doing everything right, other than the HDG, as seen by the instructors reminder.

Please get in touch via email and we can do some troubleshooting. Feel free to move on to VFR02 in the meantime.

Hi VFR pilots, I have some exciting news to share…

Coming soon for MSFS is FS ACADEMY’s latest mission pack:
FS ACADEMY - NAVIGATOR

FORUM THREAD: [MISSIONS] FS ACADEMY - NAVIGATOR | Coming Soon

FS ACADEMY - NAVIGATOR is an all-new tutorial pack designed to add a new dimension to your flying, enabling you to navigate cross-country using real techniques to find your way.

Escape the shackles of the airfield circuit and spread your wings by learning step by step the skills and techniques required to go and explore.

Starting off with the basic principles of waypoint selection we will build you up gradually to incorporate timings, wind drift and varied landscapes to complete your skillset and prepare you for embarking upon your own adventures. 11 tutorial missions will introduce you to the crucial skills needed for visual navigation before setting off on a multi-leg bush trip across Scotland to put what you have learned into practice.

Navigation logs and VFR route maps are included, so you have everything you need to tour the landscape. Created by a real airline captain, FS ACADEMY - NAVIGATOR is designed to mirror a real life navigation course, taking you step by step across a wide range of conditions and locations, using the real techniques for maximum authenticity. Whether touring the Las Vegas skyline after dark or traversing snow-swept Sweden, NAVIGATOR has you covered

Each mission has accompanying theory, found in the complete ground school manual. Learn the theory before you take to the skies with the help of your onboard instructor, fully narrated and complete with custom ATC.

​NAVIGATOR 01. THE VIEW FROM ABOVE
Commence your exploration into the world of VFR (Visual Flight Rules) navigation by getting to grips with the range of ground features available to you for route planning. See the pros and cons of line, point and area features on a tour of the UK’s south coast on a warm summer’s day.

NAVIGATOR 02. STEPPING STONES
Linking a series of ground features together forms a basic route across the San Francisco Bay area, hopping visually from point to point as you soar above the Californian countryside towards the unmistakable Alcatraz and the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, using this simple stepping stone technique.

NAVIGATOR 03. WATCHING THE CLOCK
The stepping stone method is limited to features that are within visual range of each other. This works well for areas dense with useful features, but we will now add the element of time to enable more flexible planning options which are unrestrained by line of sight. Use the five T’s to keep on top of your progress as we introduce the navigation log on a journey across Cornwall.

NAVIGATOR 04. BLOWN AWAY
Famous for its strong winds, Fuerteventura is the ideal place to demonstrate how the effects of wind plays its part in navigation. Learn the simple clock face method of estimating your drift angle, allowing for a quick calculation of your required heading to fly to keep you on track when the wind blows.

NAVIGATOR 05. STRETCHING YOUR LEGS
More direct routes are possible when you know how to tackle longer legs, which is the subject of this flight across New Zealand’s North Island. Use enroute fixes and the drift lines from your map to estimate your tracking and learn how to make corrections to keep you on course.

NAVIGATOR 06. RADAR CONTACT
Venture into controlled airspace for the first time whilst learning how to operate the radios and contact Air Traffic Control to negotiate an Aerodrome Traffic Zone (ATZ) before flying the special Low Level Route between Liverpool and Manchester, followed by a zone transit through controlled airspace.

NAVIGATOR 07. FROSTBITE
Keep the show on the road after temperatures plummet and the snow moves in. Take to the skies above southern Sweden to learn how to adapt to the new perspective offered by a snowy landscape so that the winter months do not leave you grounded.

NAVIGATOR 08. NIGHT SHIFT
Don’t let darkness scupper your plans by gaining an understanding of the limitations and adaptations of night flight as we tour the Nevada skyline between the Hoover Dam and the Vegas Strip.

NAVIGATOR 09. MOUNTAINEER
Forced down to lower levels by deteriorated weather, take the twists and turns of mountain navigation in your stride, remaining wary of the dangers and invisible hazards that are found in the valleys of the French Alps.

NAVIGATOR 10. SKYLINE
What better place is there to take in the NYC skyline than from your airborne vantage point above the Hudson. Take advantage of a Class B Exclusion Zone and slip through the crowded New York airspace and experience the Statue of Liberty from a new perspective.

NAVIGATOR 11. ISLANDER
Traverse the stunning landscape surrounding the Isle of Arran, Scotland. Then head eastbound to perform the VFR entry procedure to arrive at Glasgow airport, learning about setting the fuel mixture and water crossings whilst enroute.

NAVIGATOR 12. HIGHLANDER
Put your new skills to practice and complete your Navigator experience by going solo and taking to the skies above the Scottish Highlands, looking down upon some of the most glorious landscapes imaginable in this authentic multi-leg Bush Trip.

​FS ACADEMY - NAVIGATOR is accompanied by a complete 70+ page ground school manual, covering a host of topics to boost your background knowledge before you take to the skies.

Spread your wings and venture out over the countryside, finding your way by map and compass, gaining the skills you will carry with you for years to come with FS ACADEMY - NAVIGATOR.

LEARN ALL ABOUT NAVIGATOR HERE: www.fsacademy.co.uk/navigator

6 Likes

Sounds really good. What aircraft do the missions use?

1 Like

The C152 is featured, as its conventional instrumentation and high-wing gives a traditional cockpit and an unobscured view of the landscape. Low wing aircraft are more difficult, as the wing blocks the view. A more modest cruising speed is also beneficial, as a slower groundspeed affects your wind drift more readily, as discussed in the dedicated mission for wind effects.

2 Likes

Waiting for “Navigator” to be available on the marketplace I was repeating the VFR lessons.

On lesson 2, when I’m on base to liverpool I seem to miss the instructor call for turning into final. Am I missing a fix or the call just isn’t there at all?

I am able to complete the lesson, I receive the clearance for landing and the last instructions for the flare, it just seems weird to me that the cfi misses calling the turn since he calls the previous turn to base.

Hi there,

Make sure to be accurate in locating the Car Factory, as shown by the marker in the current version. This will put you in the right place to conduct the orbit then downwind turn, at which point your instructor will continue. The onscreen objectives should also be used to aid guidance.

Thank you for your quick response.

I’m referring to the moment when I’m on base, after the instructor has already asked me to turn base.

I interact correctly in all these points:

• Car factory spotted
  • orbit complete
  • turn to downwind
  • turn to base

----- (not) turn to FINAL (I turn without prompt, and the lesson continue)

• set up flare
  • turn next taxiway

The lesson intereactions continues after final, so it makes me think I didn’t “mess up” the instructor script. Maybe I’m expected to turn base without prompt?

Hi there,

Yes I see, IIRC it is an instruction to ‘turn towards the runway’ so just continue as you are already doing.

Thanks for letting me know,
David

Getting some fantastic responses from the community regarding FS ACADEMY - NAVIGATOR.

Tennshadow Gaming has put out a great video that shows of NAVIGATOR 01. The View From Above:

“I really like it… I like the new features… I can’t wait to explore the rest of this series”

Zentropy Aviation also have covered an outline of NAVIGATOR here:

“This is a great way to introduce how to do it right. If you’re interested in VFR flight or Bush Trips you would definitely dig this. This is a GREAT compliment to the already-existing lessons… like a sister to the VFR package.”

Plus a nice playthrough of NAVIGATOR 06. RADAR CONTACT by The Simhanger:

“One of the most genuinely useful set of tutorials I have come across. Navigator concentrates on the real world piloting skills needed to fly a VFR route. This package represents good value for money… It helps me be a better pilot.”

Learn more here:

Hi David,

I have your original VFR course. I actually bought it around a year ago but still gotten around to doing it yet! I’ve kind of been picking things up as I go along, but now I’d like to start taking things a little more seriously.

I was wondering what is the recommended order to learn. Should I bother with the offiical MSFS training lessons and do them first or should I just follow yours as they will cover everything in more detail anyway?

If I got all three of VFR, Navigator and IFR what order should I do them? I can already fly the Cessnas in the sim from cold and dark and have a basic idea of what all the controls do so would naivigator be a better place to start than VFR or should I start with VFR?

2 Likes

Hi there,

I generally recommend VFR and NAVIGATOR first, then move to IFR.
Instrument flight requires a good amount of ability at straight and level and controlled turns, so that you have spare capacity to learn about the instruments, follow needles etc.

Thanks for asking!

1 Like

Sorry if this is the incorrect place to report this. I have Xbox one x With SU 9 installed.

Got Your VFR academy from the store.

On VFR02 I am on course heading 090 E and when says about a go around and to apply full power and pitch up ( but not too aggressively ) the action dose not trigger completed.

Hi there,

Please ensure you have onscreen objectives displayed, as this shows you in real time what needs to be done.

You can read more and get support here:

1 Like

If you mean the boxes that go green in the top right , there on,

Arr, sorry my bad. Was not waiting till the “let’s try a go around” was only at the first mention of a go around when higher up on the approach example. Thought was saying to do it then, and not once closer to the ground.

1 Like

Ah ok that makes sense. Thanks for getting back to us.