[Missions] Flight training missions return with FS Academy - VFR

Hi Everyone,

A lot has happened with FS Academy over the last year, so I wanted to write a roundup of what we’ve been up to in 2021. it’s been a big year, with Sim Update 7, a major overhaul to IFR and the release of Jetliner. Read more below:

-SALE-

IFR, VFR, Jetliner and Voyager will all be on sale from DEC10-20 at roughly 40% off (13.99USD for first three, 6.99USD for Voyager). This will be a promoted sale within the in-game marketplace.

-SU7 PARTNERSHIP-

We partnered with Asobo/MS to provide the 14 new tutorials for Sim Update 7, which has now gone live. The bush flying and IFR tutorials give a basic introduction to flying with these skill sets. It was a pleasure to work with Asobo and Microsoft and incredibly satisfying to see my content go first-party for a simulation platform I have used avidly for many decades and continue to do so along the path to my current position as A320 Captain.

We worked directly with the Asobo team and Jorg to bring the tutorials to the simulator, which was a fantastic experience.

-IFR UPDATE-

FS Academy - IFR teaches a virtual instrument rating to MSFS pilots. Well received and regarded, IFR has undergone a full overhaul, introducing on-screen objectives

-NEW HOME-

All mission packs are now found under CUSTOM CONTENT in-game. Previously only the Bush Trips menu was available for third-parties, but we now have a more natural and permanent home, improving the UI and experience along the way.

-UPDATES-

VFR, Jetliner and Voyager have all received recent updates for minor fixes, dialog improvements, menu UI improvements and more.

-NEW PROJECTS-

Releasing very soon is a collaboration with another studio and a charity to provide a mini pack of missions for MSFS. This will be announced properly by the other studio very soon, after the final round of testing that is currently underway.

Also, in early development is a new full FS Academy tutorial pack, which is expected to be available in stores early 2022.

All in all, it’s been a very busy 12 months, with more on the horizon and plenty to look forward to in the new year.

All the best,
David

FS Academy

www.fsacademy.co.uk

5 Likes

Just came across this great review for VFR on Mutleys Hangar:

I’ve posted before in the various FSAcademy topics, but I just wanted to come back with a few more words of praise. As a Christmas gift I received an online ground school, which I have been dabbling in the videos for over the past few weeks.

The information contained in the VFR pack from FSAcademy is spot on. It was a wonderful primer and a very accurate condensed version of the theories and ideas you’d learn in ground school, right down to some of the techniques and tricks. The manual contains great supporting information for the missions, which are very well put together, informative, and the locations chosen are all very scenic. The only point I have to say against it, especially with it getting the same overhaul that IFR got, is that I absolutely HATE flying the Robin and I wish another plane had been chosen. That’s not a fair point against it, though, I just really hate that plane.

Every time someone has a question on where to learn more about flying with MSFS, I always point them to these courses.

Merry Christmas.

3 Likes

I recently finished the VFR lessons, and I was pleasantly surprised. They were more in depth than I was expecting, and had a feel of real life practical lessons. I bought the IFR lessons today, and I was blown away at the level of detail compared to VFR. I can’t wait to dive in!

1 Like

Hi,

That’s great to hear.
IFR is indeed more technical, with VFR more mirroring a PPL. VFR will receive an update to add all the latest features such as on screen objectives, cinematics and markers.

In the meantime,
Happy landings!

Your aircraft track should look like this: FS-Academy VFR-12 Skills Test

1 Like

Hi,

Any idea of when the update to the VFR lessons is likely to be released?

cheers.

1 Like

Hi, I’m actually doing the final round of testing right now! It’s rrally cleaned up and modernised with the onscreen objectives and smarter triggers, just as IFR was.

Under a week to go I expect before I send it out to stores!

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m pleased to announce that FS Academy - VFR version 1.3 is being uploaded to the stores.
Much like the recent overhaul to IFR, this is a major update and adds several new features to improve the experience:

-Onscreen Objectives
-Game Markers
-Map for VFR04 (see manual)
-Trigger additions, enhancements and refinements
-Instructor now notices excessive bank/pitch etc
-Menu UI improvements

This brings VFR up to date with all the latest features.
It is being uploaded currently, but all stores take a different amount of time to post to their stores. Marketplace can take several weeks, but this is now in Microsofts hands.

I think you’re going to enjoy the improvements,
Best,
David
FS ACADEMY
www.fsacademy.co.uk/vfr

7 Likes

Has the voice changed in this update? Sounds very robotic now instead of the more natural way I remember.

Hi, no it is still the original voice.
Just tried it and can’t replicate on my system.

Does this happen in all missions or just one?
Please restart your sim and see if it still happens.

Support: hello@fsacademy.co.uk

Was on Lesson 1, having restarted I’ve tried Lessons 1 & 3 and sounds like it used to now. Not sure what was happening but sorted now.

Thanks for quick response.

1 Like

Just also noticed I’m now getting what I think is a FPS number in top left corner that I hadn’t noticed before. Only change I’ve made is installing update for VFR.

Hi,

Not sure what that is but has no connection to FS Academy.

Hi Howsei,
are you using 1.3 version?
If so, how did you get that one?
I am still on 1.2 version and no update is available (purchased from store).

K r Kraaloog

Hi,

You can read more about updates above or on the support page, but essentially all stores take their own period of time to post the update. Marketplace can historically take several weeks.

If your store does not have the latest version, pleaee get in touch with them as it may help if there is customer demand.

OK, thank you.

1 Like

Purchased from Just Flight and using 1.3

1 Like

i cannot pass the te aroha objective… il tried two times, just over, circling aroud…good altitude, speed, direction… is here a problem, bug ? lesson 4

Hi there,

No known bugs. Please ensure you have the current v1.3, follow your instructor, on screen objectives and markers to complete the flight.

Support: www.fsacademy.co.uk/support-vfr