Mixed Reality Portal Update 4.12.21

New WMR update available at the Windows store as of today. No idea what it does, or if it helps us, but you can get it by opening the windows store and doing updates.

Here’s to hoping it’s good!!

EDIT: Apparently there are 2, so hit update multiple times until it tells you you’re fully updated…

2 Likes

Hmm I am not seeing this update, tried refreshing MS Store multiple times.
The version I have is 2000.20111.1381.0

What does the release notes say?

@lviuts no idea where to find them. And @Booms3220, pretty much the same answer for you, don’t know where to find those either.

My initial observation is that they seem to have made things blurrier at 100TA, but have enabled going to 110TA or even 120TA possible without any noticeable loss of performance on my 2070 Super. Until flying into a scenery dense environment, but there’s nothing new with that. So no real change, just requires a setting adjustment to get back to the same visuals and performance as previous.

I’m gonna either need a 30-series or some significant software enhancements before the real scenery dense environments are decent without really lowering the settings. But I flew into KEWR and it was decent at 90TAA, but I really should have gone to 80.

Did not see an update either. Anyone other than Kev got this update?

I think this may be another false alarm Kev. I’m not sure why you keep getting these rogue updates.

I also have an update. Only found it due to doing Get Updates in the MS Store.

I’m on the Windows 10 21H2 preview if that makes a difference.

Haven’t tried it yet. FS update in progress…

@Sharpe2603, it’s cause I’m special. In the needs a short bus way kind of special. Just ask my wife, she’ll be glad to fill you in about that!!

:rofl:

Being serious, I may have something setup in the store incorrectly. It seems others get push updates, whereas I have to ask for mine. Which I do, frequently, probably like 2-3 times a week. But this time was odd, because in addition to not one, but two WMR updates, I had THIRTY SEVEN others to go along with it. Now, I did just do one of those “cumulative” windows updates, so maybe those two things were related, but who knows.

It neither helped, nor hurt, just required a tweak to my settings. But I actually LIKE the fact that I can hit TAA120, even if when I’m not in heavy scenery areas, because maybe it means with another software tweak or three, I might be able to get to 150 with my poor old “obsolete” 2070S. (Which, btw, is the #1 most used high-end GPU above everything else, according to the Steam survey. Or was last month at least.)

It seems like MSFS users have 30-series in higher proportions than the general population, though I’m at a loss for where everybody is finding one. It also seems like they’re not getting as much better performance as they “should” be, which just screams “better drivers needed” to me.

But, eh, what do I know? I still plan to wait until I can get a 3080ti or Super (at MSRP, I don’t pay scalpers to scalp), or even a 40-series before I update. All I have to do is avoid the super dense airports- KMIA, KEWR, KORD, LFPG, KSEA, and some of the usual suspects. But others you would think would be a problem are actually OK- KJFK, KDEN, the EGKK freeware scenery that’s probably the single best airport in all of MSFS world that you would think would be a performance killer, but actually is not, and I’m quite sure there’s many more that I just haven’t found yet. On both sides.

But back to what I was saying, all I have to do is avoid those places and I’ll be fine for many moons to come. And as better optimizations and drivers become available, those moons may even grow in number.

2 Likes

Where can I even check the WMR Portal version? I looked in a few places but couldn’t find a version number.

If you open the MS Store & click on downloads and updates it should say which version of the WMR Portal you have.
Mine still says 2000.20111.1381.0 and no updates available.

I’ve actually just uninstalled & reinstalled it because I appear to have a slight problem in that it will no longer record
(It used to record 5 mins of VR footage but now it stops instantly and nothing is capturered) it worked fine until a few days ago.
I don’t know if the update is anything to do with it, but I, still not showing the update anyway.

Regards
Steve

just updated. version 2000.21041.1051.0

1 Like

Same version, no update available

settings —> Apps -----> apps and features (sidebar menu) -----> Mixed reality portal ----> Advanced options… you’ll find it second line down under “Version”

I got this update yesterday in the Microsoft store app

Mine is 2000.20111.1381.0, so I’m behind. I guess either MS is rationing the releases, or maybe there’s something about my system that makes it ineligible for that release.

:man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Same, and no update available… @SanMan140579979 is clearly a VIP :wink:

Edition Windows 10 pro
Version 21H1
OS Build 19043.867
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Also part of Windows Insider Program Beta Channel, maybe that’s why?

Also would like to note that the updated WMR seems to run smoother.

I’m on the beta channel with 21H1 too :man_shrugging:t2:

What runs smoother? Then wmr portal, games, msfs2020 ? :slight_smile:

@SanMan140579979, and how does one go about joining that little insider club?