[Mod Request] Icon A5 2021 Avionics Update

Icon has updated the 2021 model of the A5 to now come with a G3X and an optional Autopilot.

Is there anyone that can modify the in-game A5 into a second version (Like how the C175 has both a Steam Gage and a G1000 Version), So that we can have both Standard A5 and a 2021 G3X/AutoPilot A5?

From what I’ve seen on the Icon website, there’s pretty much no changes to the Icon A5 except for parts of the dashboard.

There seems to be 3 main changes: (See Image Below)

1. The artificial Horizon between the Airspeed and Altitude Dials has been removed and replaced with a blank panel with the Icon Logo.

2. The Avionics Display has been replaced with a widescreen Garmin G3X that also has Radio Coms and Transponder.

3. The Radio and Transponder have been replaced with an Autopilot Panel.

My main idea for this, would just be to copy the Autopilot Panel and the G3X out of the Xcub (As they are very similar to the ones seen in the new 2021 A5) and resize and replace the Display and Radio stack in this with them.

But i have no idea how to do that.

Is anybody able to take on this challenge? Or, Can someone give me super basic instructions so that I could do this? (You’d have to explain it to me like you would a 3-year old.)

Original:
ICON-A5-Cockpit-640x480

Updated:

6 Likes

You’re talking about making changes to the physical structure of the panel, so you’d need to learn 3D modeling in order to even think about those changes. But that new setup is sweet!

Would love this!

Step 1: Install the WorkingTitle G3X mod first. Then do these edits. NOTE you should really build an addon package but I don’t have time to do all this right now. Use a text editor. If you don’t know where these files are then search your PC for asobo-aircraft-icon. Back up the files first before making edits. You’ll need to restart the sim to see the changes.

Step 2: In file Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-icon\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Icon\panel\panel.cfg

Find:
htmlgauge00=NavSystems/Aera/Aera.html,0,0,1280,800
Replace with:
htmlgauge00=NavSystems/AS3X_Touch/AS3X_Touch.html?Index=1,0,0,1280,800

Step 3: In file Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-icon\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Icon\systems.cfg

Find:

[AUTOPILOT]
autopilot_available = 0
flight_director_available = 0

Change the 0's to 1's.

Just did a quick test flight. ILS was reasonable enough. This seems pretty workable to me. Using the WT G3X you have a touch AP (tap the FMA) and I confirmed you can set NAV1 and change the CDI source. Basic modes like HDG and ALT work. Only real issue is that the engine/systems indications aren’t loading in the G3X for whatever reason.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m going to add this to my mod, I’ll credit you!

I’ve released a community folder version of the mod

1 Like

(I assume the mod did, but I would leave the artificial horizon on the pilot panel. I bet it’s an option in the real plane, and it’s not like we have to pay for it. Always good to have as much backup as you can get. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

The AH on the main panel of the real thing actually has a lot more functionality, including a compass.

When you get a chance please take a look at the mod I released, maybe you can see why the AP buttons do not respond for me when pressed - I see you did get them working on your unit.

Seems to me if this is going to be done correctly, we also need to update the panel.xml.

Would people expect this to be classified as the PFD or MFD? I’m assuming MFD, but, maybe not since there’s only 1 GPS display, and not a lot in the way of instruments? I suppose since @davux3 classified it as index=1, that would make it the PFD?

Then again, if you’re looking for the engine/systems panel, you probably should change it to index=2 and and make it an MFD? Not to mention, I think there then needs to be plane specific code to get the systems panel working properly. Although, is the index only to control the NavComm? And therefore just setting the DisplayMode to MFD is enough?

Yeah, I think I can pull the engine instrument code from the ES330, and modify appropriately if need be.

I guess I’ve got some options to test :slight_smile:
Tomorrow. Time for bed.

Edit: Couldn’t help myself… yep, the engine instrument code is gonna need lots of editing. The parameters are apparently all wrong, and the right side instruments are teeny tiny in the corner, so I’m going to figure out how to move them around on the page and increase their size. That is waiting till tomorrow.

1 Like

I undid my changes, applied only your mod and the WorkingTitle G3X mod (which adds the touch AP buttons under the FMA) and it all appears to be working great.

Really need this avionics update for the CTLS as well.

Current instrumentation for that is dreadful

I’ve released a standalone version of the requested mod.

Please read over the included readme file as I have determined there are conflicts with the Uwa lighting mod, but it’s very easy to fix with my included instructions.

I’m looking for more information here. I found the heading indication but if it can switch between modes… do you know where I could see any of this stuff?

Cross-posting my small mod that adds heading to the backup attitude indicator: Icon A5 - Add heading information to backup attitude indicator

PharaohEo,
Loving your standalone model :v: :grinning:
Thank you for the Great work. Keep on improving!!
best regards

1 Like

I am wondering what is the reason for increasing the power? Modern I5 can be ordered with G3X indeed, but I did not see over 150hp engine available. Only 912IS with 100hp. Even the most powerful Rotax 915 is rated lower than that.
Do not take it as criticism, I am just curious if the concept behind this mod was realism or pure fantasy fun?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.