Monitors. 4k @ 60hz or 1440p at 144hz?

I’m plannig to upgrade my rig soon & hopefully i’ll have an RTX 3080 in it.
On the monitor front im currently using a samsung 32" at 1080p which ive been more than happy with but im a big graphics fan.
I play alot of flight/racing sims & FPS games. I dont do much in the way of multiplayer stuff so having the fastest response times isnt the main thing for me, im after the best looking option.
What do you chaps think?
Cheers

4k - 60. This is not FPS and you not needed 144Hz

4 Likes

If budget isn’t a problem then 144hz future proofs you and covers all bases, but FYI I have two 4K monitors a 60hz and a large 30hz one and MSFS performs exactly the same on both as it doesn’t have to meet the demands of what a FPS gamer wants or puts into it.

But, as I said, if you have the money lying around then 144hz, fidelity wise, 60hz will “look” just as good in MSFS at least.

I updated my monitor recently . I went with a 75 hz monitor ( which equals 75 fps max . If you have 60hz equals 60 fps , 144 hz equals 144 fps ).

Reasons : My system can run 99% of games on ultra settings ( MSFS being the 1% it can’t , LoL ) . In ultra settings in these games ( mostly sim games , odd fps game ) , I get approx 85 fps.

The increased cost difference for me, between 75 hz and 144 hz refresh rates ( ie 75 fps and 144 fps ) was not worth it .

Now , the argument could be made , " why not turn down your graphics settings and play at 144 fps " ? Well , in short , I like my detailed scenery !!

1 Like

Quite, but if you can’t achieve decent framerates at 4K, then you’ll have to go either non-native, which never looks as good, or lower your graphical details.

As a long time 1080p user, I’d rather go 1440p, and higher frame rates than risk buying a bigger monitor I can’t reliably push.

1 Like

Err i know that its the refresh rate!

I think they are saying that this is a flight sim, not a first person shooter, and therefore very high frame rates are not as necessary. Not that you didn’t know the difference between frames per second, and refresh rate.

well i was kinda hoping a 3080 would give me at least the 60fps id need,
Msflight sim still runs pretty good for me at mostly ultra settings on a 1080.

If you go 4k then the bigger the screen size the better.
I’ve got a 28" 4k monitor next to my main similar size 1440p monitor, honestly the difference is next to nothing so I’ve got my 28" res set to 1440 like the other monitor.

Hopefully my next monitor in maybe 3 years time will be 40"+ 4k ultrawide / 5120x2160 120hz+

I haven’t seen any reviews yet where they got more then 42fps with a 3080 GPU @ 4K seems to be only a few fps better than a 2080ti at the moment.

Up until 2013 i was running 1600p or 2560x1600, thats when i got hooked on 4K with the 32" ASUS PQ321. Now after “used up” the ASUS and three ACER 32" G-sync 4K monitor i decided to jump the bandwagon and go big but not ultrabig, ACER CG7 43" 4K 144hz pushed by a EVGA 2080Ti FTW3. Don´t regret it one second and only way i will change monitor is that a 50"+ ultrawide 4K 144hz monitor ever hit the market. I dont need the ultrahigh FPS others like to have, so with that background i say 4K is the way forward if you have the GPU power or the money for it.
Currently having 3 32" 60hz 4K monitor and one 43" 4K 144hz monitor in service as i once did tripple 4K with 32" 4K monitor.
Kind of scared to loose FPS by replacing a 7900X@4.6 with the upcoming Ryzen 5900X from AMD, at least until they get the simulator/game in to shape.

4K needs a hefty amount of GPU.Looks like even the 3080 struggled in 4k Benchmarks.If you’re coming from 1080p,1440p is still a decent upgrade but there is nothing wrong with 4k if you’re willing to sacrifice settings and you can turn rendering scale down in 4k a bit and it still looks good.

To be honest my question wasn’t related JUST to flight sim but gaming in general.

I just got FS2020 up and running here using a 9900K/2080Ti/16Gb 4000 memory.

I had purchased the LG C9 55" earlier this year for FS2020 and iRacing.

In FS 2020 it looks great so far. On the training missions I was getting usually 50 FPS at 4K 60Hz using standard high settings with low windshield glass settings.

In a Free Fly trip from San Fran to Denver I was at 96% memory usage so that will be the first thing I need upgraded. The FPS “I think” was about the same.

I have TrackIR coming next week and will set that up to see how I like it with this monitor.

Good times so far for me, once I got everything working properly. I am about 200 hours behind you guys with a lot to learn… :slight_smile: