Moon Reflections Are Always Full

This is just a little issue; not something I’d want Asobo to be too concerned about right now. But, eventually, I’d like to see this issue fixed. Moon phases are always accurate, but the moon’s reflection is always full.

Snag_255ef8b6

Has anyone experienced flying over water during a waning crescent moon only to have a full moon reflection coming from the water?

2 Likes

No, I had the plane and moon and everything!

Well if you hadn’t have put a screenshot - I wouldn’t have believed it! :joy:

UPDATE: Oh it’s your first post, well then you get a life haha. I’ll have a look but I suspect you are correct the reflected image is just another rendered scene in lower detail so they might well have just used a full moon.

UPDATE 2: Full moon in reflections on plane and water.

2 Likes

Amazing shot.

1 Like

Yes I also am getting full moon reflections on water with a Waxing Crescent moon phase in the sky.

Yes it’s heavily over done and needs tweaking for sure:

Yes, I noticed it too. Also, once, I noticed the reflection even if it was behind clouds.

But, let’s say I don’t really mind. If they fix it, fine, otherwise, I have plenty of nice places to explore…

I just noticed this last night flying the JustFlight Piper Archer. Literally same moon conditions. That seems like an odd thing to be “off”. I’ve no idea how this actually works but seems like it could be fixed at some point. Got my vote.

1 Like

At ENSB (Longyearbyen) airport I unfortunately didn’t spot an aurora borealis (which I hoped to encounter) but another interesting optical phenomenon:

Sounds like another job for Mr Raymond Tracing, boy is he going to be busy.

4 Likes

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.
#pc
Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
MS Store
Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
No
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No
Brief description of the issue:
A new moon or half moon always reflects as a full moon. This makes night scenery way too bright.
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
Will take some if necessary.
Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Take a night flight with clear skies and a new moon over water and observe the moon’s reflection.
PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
irrelevant
Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
SU5
Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Store
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
Not yet

Long shot - is your render scale set to 100?
Just wondered if the floating light issue may also be doing something screwy with the moon reflection… :thinking:

Still an issue even after SU8:

Moon Simulator 2020 :grinning:

This one bugs me too, but nothing more than bridges with the solid walls under them.

1 Like

Marked as Won’t Fix at this time.