More names on VFR Map

The VFR map should show more place names so you can get a better idea of where you are. In terms of usefulness, the current VFR map is empty of useful information for VFR navigation.

The ideal would be real sectional VFR maps, but at a minimum it would be more useful if it included:

• City, state/province, and country names
  • Roads, road names, and railroad tracks
  • Name labels on rivers and lakes
4 Likes

If you have a tablet, you can install an app called Avare on it. Avare is free and has VFR maps as well as ifr plates for the U.S. and Canada. I don’t know if there is an optoin for other countries yet. Soory this doesn’t help in the specific situation you mentioned, but I figured it might be a good place to start. Hope this helps .

1 Like

Another option is SkyVector.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations. I’ve been using SkyVector and purchased digital downloads of UK VFR sectionals from memory-map.co.uk. Both are great for access to real VFR maps. The problem I have with lack of recognizable landmarks in the VFR map in the sim is knowing where I am. If the in game map had at least place names on the map this would make it much easier to navigate.

Before the invention of apps like Foreflight on tablets, thats how we flew in the real world! You had a paper map and had to work out where you were from the landmarks, VORs etc! we couldnt just look at our little plane on a moving map! Its still a VFR skill thats taught to this day and needs to be sucessfully completed to get a PPL!

5 Likes

The globe is lacking definition, Maybe add names, streets? It’s hard to find things without some detailing.

Wish list:
Improve globe search definition to similar to Google Earth
Improve VFR Map to include more information similar to Google Map (Satellite view)

VFR Map needs way more detail. Maybe a 3rd party dev could work on one

I’m sure between Asobo & MS, they could come up with a decent map.

The VFR map is pretty barebones, but just usable for navigation as long as you know where you are going. Airfield charts are the main omission for me, though you do at least see a layout on the G1000. On the Globe, taxyways are not labelled, which is odd, because most of them still have dots indicating ramp/parking slots. If you want to taxy (sic) around even moderately sized airfields by following Ground Handlers instructions, then you need a that info. When it comes to airports like Heathrow - good luck otherwise.

If you are in the USA, then Skyvector gives you decent charts for free, but alas, not the rest of the world.

I miss details in the VFR map that it can be used to navigate without flight plan.
Add:
-photo overlay
-country, town and POI names
-streets, river and railway tracks
-details of air traffic control zones
-etc.

This should be all configurable so everyone could enable the info he prefers.
When there is enough detail make deactivation of the plane icon possible to simulate
real VFR.
This detail I also miss in the world map when you zoom in for flight planning.

Excellent idea. I do a lot of flying within the West Indies and the Bahamas and I’m really sorry to have to look in Google Earth on my tablet to know over which island I’m flying. Moreover, grounds details would be very useful for VFR.

1 Like

I make use of a map which can be found here https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/plugin-vfrmap, not sure if it’s any help but thought it’s worth a try :wink:

I also use the VFRmap thing mentioned above. I use that to quickly see important airspaces (i fly online on vatsim) but mostly use the teleport function.

But more important i use littlenavmap that has all the features you request and much more (except photo overlay).

• Track you flight with trail
  • Elevation profile for flightplan planning.
  • Various map formats with a special VFR topo map that i love using.
  • Hover mouse over an airport to get quick information (Again if flying vatsim you can see the freq. for the radio). Click the airport to get extensive info.
  • Hover mouse over a runway and get the ils freq.
  • SIDs and STARs galore. Departure and approach procedures info at airports. One click add to flightplan.
  • Many ways to manually or automagical create a FP and export is as .pln for msfs
  • and more…
2 Likes

Hi guys,
thank you for the feedback and the links to these cool tools.
As a workaround they are very good, but in my opinion they should be integrated.
Flight planning and flying by VFR are the main use cases of this sim and it is lacking in this point.
I can live it for a while and maybe try out on of the tools, Microsoft has all the data from Bing Maps and
some third party provider and it should be not so difficult to enhance these 2D maps with it.

1 Like

Yes, considering this is a Flight Simulator, with both GA and Airliner included, a VFR map with not only those details, but all relevant frequencies (VOR, NDB, ILS at airports) should be accessible in-flight.
Sure there are other sources but it should be part of the sim, especially since that Nav info was part of previous MS Flight Sims. I can’t understand how anyone could have accepted the in-flight map as it was released.

Hello, I fully agree with you Roadspider, I am really missing the vfr map from the FSX in which anyone could find the VOR frequencies and other navigation items. I also would really appreciate some user manuals for the various Garmin system (how and where to enter the VOR frequencies by the way, how to set the heading for these VOR…).

Of course flying VFR is nice because of the marvellous landscapes to fly over, but to set a realIFR by myself, choosing which VOR to fly to would be very nice.

In a first step I would more need data for navigation… e.g. click on a ADF and get the frequencies… I not need navi for a car :wink:

In a second step it would be nice if we got, what most pilots currently do/have : a tablet on the yoke which shows a detailed map…

-No airspace floor levels (why show the boundaries if you don’t indicate the levels??)
-No VOR Freq. Info (albeit VFR symbols and IDs)
-Terrain Elev. depiction is horrid.

• Poor res
    -No ability as far as I could see to import VFR sectionals

For such a beautiful sim optimized for VFR flight, the VFR Map needs be waaay better!

2 Likes

And for ANY sim that has IFR functions, an in-flight popup map needs to have frequencies!!

It’s hard to beat Little NavMap. :grinning:

Honestly I don’t see why they couldn’t add in actual VFR charts. Just enough detail for heightened awareness but not enough to be distracting.

1 Like