Most immersive style of monitor?

I’m currently using a spare work monitor with my flightsim PC. It’s a 24-inch monitor and works fine with MSFS 2020 running at 1080p (native).

Space is extremely limited so I can’t do a multi-monitor setup. What’s the best type of monitor for a more immersive experience? Curved, flat, ultra-wide, etc., etc.?

1 Like

I have an LG ultra-widescreen monitor. I think it’s 29". Fits the desk perfectly, and it’s hanging from a wall bracket too, lovely wide view, and I can squeeze a small second monitor into the corner beside it for maps.

It’s 21:9 with a resolution of 2560x1080.

1 Like

Im running a 55" sony UHD 4k tv in 4K, and its pretty immersive + you can watch the game on it when your not simming *hows that for a space saving feature.

And while the FPS’s are in the 20’s, on a 1080ti it just looks so good I cant go back to the 1080p monitor and its 32" curved (35-40fps in 1080 mode).

The only regrets? I didnt spend the extra $200 bucks and by the 70+" inch set! Bwhahahahahaha ;]

2 Likes

I think 32" is the most I can go.

VR is the most immersive type of monitor. Granted it’s not a monitor in the traditional sense but it’s about as immersive as you can get

But if that’s not your thing, I’d stick to a curved widescreen monitor and get trackIR.

2 Likes

49" UW 4K panel here. It’s curved which is great, IMO, for this and racing games.

1 Like

To be fair at a desk 32" is a good sized screen.

1 Like

VR too. If you try it, you will not return to the monitor

I’ll be considering VR in 2022 once I get a new PC that can run MSFS 2020 more comfortably.

In terms of monitor, I’ve seen a few 32" curved ones that I like. Is there any point in getting a 144 or 165 Hz for MSFS 2020, or would a 60Hz one do, given that I’m very unlikely to get FPS beyond 60?

Sure right now you cant do 60 with MSFS, but in the future, you may burn up a vid card and have to replace it, or a CPU or even replace the whole computer. If you buy that 60hz monitor it will still look as nice, but with the faster equipment you just bought, you might just want to buy a new monitor again. I always buy the best that I can afford with a new buy with the intent that someday I will upgrade other things in my system that might reflect on the thing I just bought (monitor) in the future.

1 Like

you’ll be fine with 60 tbh. I run 60hz 1080p and the game blows me away almost each and everytime.

And it’s not that you can’t get 60fps, you just need to be in the right place at the right time with the right settings…

Good points. I do plan on getting a new PC in mid-2022 so I wouldn’t want to buy another monitor in 6 months time. The cost difference is about £60 (GBP) between the cheaper one and the slightly better one (165Hz refresh), which also has height adjustment.

Remember you can do 4k with a lowly gtx 1080 ti card, so dont forget the 4k when you make your selection.

1 Like

Have a 4k 49 inch curved screen AND trackir. That is the optimal immersion monitor.

I am sure that VR enthusiasts will disagree. However either you are VR capable or not. I am not, so…

1 Like

LOL I just saw a cyber monday deal on a 72" HD 4k set for $598 US. Good thing Im poor, and also not having anything to put it on ;p

1 Like