Mountain textures and details questions

Hi,
I do a lot of glider flying around mountain ridges and I have been wondering if there are any plans from Asobo to address the following issues:

• Mountain texture stretching
  • removal of baked mountain shadows into the textures
  • dressing/populating mountain slopes with different variety of rocks in kinds and sizes (sort of like the AI building tech) to add some relief to the existing geometry.

The sim already looks stunning as it is, I could live with its current state until the end of my sim pilot career, I am just being curious! : )
Thanks for any insights

The first two problems are at the limits of the way the tech works to create the world. The landscape is created by stretching an aerial photograph over a mesh. When you have cliffs and mountain ridges the photograph stretches and doesn’t look great.

Again, the large areas of shadows you get in mountainous areas are just a fact of life with the way aerial imagery is used in the sim. Realistically it would be impossible to photograph mountains from above and not have shadows somewhere. I guess maybe the sim could do a better job of showing detail in shadowed areas though. There’s a lot of post processing to get all the imagery looking consistent through the world and colour and detail information gets lost in the process.

Your last point is interesting and something I’ve thought about. In the dev Q+A’s whenever they’ve been asked about the visual aspect of the world they reply saying they do have a R&D team who are continually working developing new things. So I guess its a case of wait and see. It’ll be a continually evolving aspect of the sim.

1 Like