Moving copilot lips when speaking

Hi All,

Aside of all the new great improvements, I found that the living environment in MSFS is a great feature compared to the older FSX : copilot, animals, and airports workers mainly.

Now I think there is potential to pursue certain parts of the living world that could enhance the immersion of the sim. I know some will say that there are many improvements that are needed in the top wishlist but I think this one might worth interest : pursuing development, or sometime just more distributed in the sim, of what is alive. And this would be one of my top priorities:

Make copilot lips moving when he/she is operating the communications. I fly as much as possible with mods of copilots in the cockpits and I like the «living» and «not alone» feeling. For sure, the mod should be integrated (optional maybe) in the sim.

Please answer to what you think of «living» environment and if other «lifes» should be prioritized.

We should avoid what has been already mentioned in other posts (eg.: improving airport workers)

Tks!

please: add ai live traffic. real traffic, not “that”.

2 Likes

+1 Really needed! But it is already in good priority in the wishlist.
Thanks!

please concentrate on performance issues before going into all of these side bars

2 Likes

For sure performance is master. But as you know, there is an Asobo team on performance and another one on these kind of developments.

Traffic needs a lot of work still. Cars driving on the water underneath bridges, driving straight up buildings, flying through the air at weird angles, making angular turns, driving inside each other, it all breaks immersion more than add to it.

Ship traffic can use a lot of attention. The couple boats that are in the game also tend to run aground while the few cargo ships in game never seem to move.

A living world should really have smoke coming out of factory chimneys, smoking volcanoes, forest fires, smog over cities and industrial areas, dust storms, waterfalls, cannon sprinklers on farms, tides, seasonal water levels in lakes and rivers.

An yep, animals. Whale pods in the oceans, dolphins, flying fish, seals, penguins. I would be cool to spot a fishing vessel below, check it out and see all the birds flocking around it and dolphins jumping around following the boat :slight_smile:

Anyway still plenty to fix before animating the world.

2 Likes

Wow, you’re widening what was my definition of “living” but I really understand and share the needs: I haven’t thought of water sprinklers on farms but it would be great for low flights in farming areas. I need forest fires too!

Very nice ideas the flock of birds around fishing boats. Maybe it could be the same coding than for flock of bords around airports.

The code is already there, they’re just hard to find

There is no collision detection though and they sort of bounce back and forth in their designated sky box. We do need Canadian Geese migrating in V patterns!

And Sterlings

Yes, I found them hard to find too. Canadian geeses would be a must. They are wonderful to watch (and ear) these days in the sky at sunset in our region.

1 Like

One started to come at me today, hissing and all while I was jogging. They’re having their young now and are very protective. My wife is terrified of them. When she was little, one took a liking to one of the buttons on her coat and dragged her into the water.

We live on the river and it’s always cool to watch them land. Loudly honking on approach, then they all go quiet, concentrate, then you hear all the feet skid on the water. After the water goes quiet, the honking begins again. Well done group, contact ground control.

It will be a sad day when the dead tree visible from our living room gets blown over. Eagles use it to eat fish in they catch in the river, while brave little birds try to steal pieces.

@Donws1957 as the copilot is a freeware mod, made by @mixMugz, who is actually a stand up member of this forum (who makes great mods, too), I don’t think him working on getting the lips moving (if, indeed, such a thing is even possible), will detract from whatever Asobo themselves are working on.

Well, I think the first step is to ask for the Pilots and Copilots to visible inside the cockpit as a built-in function before asking for lips animation. It should just be an option in the slider that says Pilot Visibility: None; External Camera Only; All

That way we don’t have to rely on the mods.

1 Like

@Neo4316, what’s wrong with “relying” on mods? The mod community has done amazing things for flight sims of all kinds over the many years the genre has been a thing, and expanded the capability of the base software in manners that even a large army of programmers probably couldn’t do. In fact, Asobo themselves has stated, on multiple occasions I believe, that they think of MSFS as more of a platform that modders, both freeware and payware, will come along and flush out for those who want/need whatever capability any given mod offers.

In that way, it’s not dissimilar from Windows itself, which is a platform on which programmers, both freeware and payware, provide applications that actually do things, like run flight simulation software, on a PC.

I :heart: modders. I just wish I had the skills to be one.

Heck, just look at the changes that @mixMugz has made to the TBM 930. It’s drastically improved the base product that came with the sim, and even includes the pilots and copilots just like you want. I have no idea if he considers it finished, or if he plans to do other aircraft, but considering he’s doing what he’s doing in exchange for precisely $0, we can’t be too picky about it.

I’m not talking about mods in general. But specific to the Visible Pilot/Copilot mod. I have nothing against Mugz, though. He’s been doing amazing work making this mod possible. But the problem here is, I only fly the FlyByWire A32NX mod, and since the Development version gets updated very frequently up to 2-3x a day. I have to edit the same file every time I update the mod by adding this piece of line into the interior LOD file:

,  {
            "name": "PILOT_0",
            "rotation": [0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0],
            "scale": [1.0, 1.0, 1.0],
            "translation": [0.567698, 1.262695, 10.8251953]
        }, {
            "name": "PILOT_1",
            "rotation": [0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0],
            "scale": [1.0, 1.0, 1.0],
            "translation": [-0.567698, 1.262695, 10.8251953]
        }

I can’t use Mugz mod (the one that’s integrated into the MCDU) because whenever the development version is updated, there’s a risk the MCDU would stop working if I have Mugz mod installed, so we had to wait until Mugz updates that mod, and then me to install it again, then I can fly again. Otherwise, I won’t be able to use the MCDU and I won’t be able to fly. So while amazing Mugz mod is, he has to play catch up everytime the development version is updated, and we have to wait until it is updated.

And his effort trying to integrate the mod into the FBW A32NX mod directly was fraught with problems, which eventually we get outvoted that the majority of the A32NX users don’t feel like the visible pilot/copilot mod to be an important feature to have. So that function gets removed, and we had to rely on Mugz external mod to make it work, which comes at the risk of everything I said earlier.

That’s why I stopped using his mod and I had to directly edit the LOD file manually with that piece of code every time the A32NX mod is updated, that way, I can immediately fly using the latest version since the MCDU won’t be broken, and I still get to see both pilots in my cockpit. But it is a hassle. I have to do it over and over again every time I update the FBW A32NX. It’s just get tiring.

I just wish this is a built-in function, so I don’t have to rely on entering these codes every time.

You don’t know these sunglasses can actually become nightvision goggles at night.

Oh! You remind me of the regional accents they should have. But this is another thread…

@Neo4316 You’ll go through all of that just to get an image of a person next to you in the cockpit (often, as you noted, several times a day), but can’t be bothered using the right flight planner for that aircraft?

Not sure what to tell you. I guess that’s your problem. Maybe you should switch to the stable version.

Honestly, in maybe 2 or 3 years when all the bugs that really screw up the sim are fixed, then maybe focus on minutia such as moving lips. It is so far down on the bottom of the list for what is needed in this sim that I laughed when I saw this post…
I guess we can follow it with ATC clearing their throat or telling a joke.

1 Like

Good idea! I love jokes. :wink: Maybe it could be linked to Alexia or other virtual helper to ask a coffee.
I agree that there is other priorities. This is just another idea to improve immersion.
Thanks for your thaughts.

Uhhh here we go again with the same argument. Stable version doesn’t cut it for me. The custom flybywire flight controls are non-existent. Custom autopilot is non-existent in there. Both of which are essential for me. I have Thrustmaster TCA quadrant, I need the custom calibration in the development version otherwise my throttle controls are not lined up with the detents correctly.

Simbrief and Default flight planning tool for me achieve the same thing. I can fly with the same flight plan, using either one. The only difference is the effort I put on either tool. My logic for that one is, I don’t need Simbrief to do my flight planning, because I can get the exact same flight plan using the default world map. I know you don’t get the same experience, and that’s fine. But for me, the experience is the same. So I don’t see a reason for me to use SimBrief since I can get the same thing using the default World Map.

Pilot copilot visibility is a different experience for me between having it and not. So yes, I do all that effort because I feel there’s a difference between having a visible pilot in the cockpit versus an empty cockpit. But my flight planning, is having the same experience either way. So I don’t need to use SimBrief for that.

I don’ t disagree with you at all. But, if you read through all of the wish lists in the forum, each of them add up. So, my point is that a lot of people are already CPU limited. If we keep adding to it’s workload, performance will drop. So, I want to make it clear that i’m not speaking of this tweak itself. My point is that we have to be very stingy with what we want until Asobo can make better use of all cores if that is possible.