MSFS 2020 Optimal PC Build

Hi, I know this has been asked dozens of times (and I have researched most of those posts and read them), but I always feel like there’s one or two things either missing from a post or that don’t apply to my situation and so I just wanted to create a topic for my situation. Any advice/help is GREATLY appreciated!

I am getting ready to build a brand new PC for MSFS 2020. I have been playing it for the last year or so on a sub-optimal PC, with a 27" monitor, and keyboard/mouse just trying to get to know it better (I’ve been out of the sim game since the early 2000s). I’m now ready to take it a bit more serious, and so I want to build the best set up I can to give me the best experience possible. Below is what I plan on using in terms of monitor/controls, and also how I plan to use MSFS. Any advice on an optimal PC set up would be appreciated!

• 49" Ultrawide Samsung G9 Odyssey Monitor
  • Honeycomb Alpha Yoke/Bravo Throttle Quadrant
  • Rudder Pedals (haven’t decided on model yet)
  • TrackIR Head Tracker (to take full advantage of that ultrawide monitor, but I’m new to this tech so if this is a mistake or there is a better way…aside from moving the camera manually…please share!)
  • Headset/mic

That should pretty much be everything I’m going to utilize (aside from the keyboard and mouse when necessary of course). My goal is to be able to run MSFS in the highest settings possible for ultimate immersion and realism (I like to fly “real”). I would love to play within steam to fly with friends and use ATC, or also utilize VATSIM here and there (just now diving into this). I will want to record my desktop from time to time so I can show my father some flights via YouTube, and sometimes I may even livestream via YouTube, so I want to keep that in mind when it comes to performance. I don’t want to say money is not an option, because of course I have limits, but I’m just curious if anyone out there uses MSFS 2020 with similar peripherals/missions to what I’ve listed above and could share their PC build that runs it all in high frame rates with very good performance.

This will also be the first PC I’ve built myself (I’m very good at following tutorials, though haha) so I’m looking for the whole shebang… CPU, motherboard, memory, storage, graphics card, power supply… I’ll also need to make sure it has a wifi card because this won’t be in the same room as our router. We have gigabit internet so I’m not too worried about any speed issues in that sense using wifi.

Thank you again in advance, and I very much look forward to any advice! Please let me know if anything I’ve said needs clarification.

1 Like

Make sure you get the TrackIR Pro. Choose the Smooth profile, bump up the smoothness to 20, make the Smooth profile exclusive, and you are good to go.

1 Like

Awesome, thx! And just to confirm, are you talking about the Track IR 5 Pro bundle? Says it comes with the Track IR 5 and the TrackClip Pro?

Yes, the Pro bundle contains the clip and the powered LED marker that attaches to your headset. The clip just attaches to your baseball cap. Not as effective.

1 Like

After doing some further research on my lunch break, I wanted to update this.

As stated in the original post my goal will be to run MSFS 2020 on ultra settings on a Samsung 49" Odyssey G9 (LC49G97TSSNXDC) monitor… I actually just purchased this a few mins ago, was able to snag one for $800 after all rebates/savings. Through my research, in order to obtain solid FPS on those settings with this monitor, I believe I am going to need two pieces for certain:

• Intel i7-12700K CPU
  • Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti graphics card

I don’t believe I’ll be able to compromise on those two things if I want the performance I’m hoping to achieve. Also, based on my research, I believe the i7-12700K would provide enough processing power and that the i9-12900K would probably be overkill and I could take the money saved there and apply to getting a 3080 Ti rather than just a 3080. As far as memory, it was sort of the same thing where 32GB of DDR4 3600mhz offers about the same as most DDR5 options. I’m basing that off a YouTube video from PremiumBuilds where that was all actually tested, so if you think he’s full of it let me know :slight_smile:

Right now I’m piecing out each part item by item, and it looks like I’ll be coming in around $2600 (give or take) for everything I want. If I go to CyberPower PC and build out a similar computer it seems I’m able to get it for around $2,800. Having never built a computer myself I’m really wondering if that might be worth the extra $200 to just build it on their website and then have it shipped to me ready to go.

Build it yourself. My MSFS rig is not as ambitious as yours; however, I enjoy mostly stutter free play with rare CTD’s. My grandson, then 14 years old, put mine together on our kitchen table with a little coaching from me. Great fun for both of us. It is not hard you just want to be sure to discharge static electricity and be judicious about applying the heat sink gel to the processor. Also, when I see folks post their specs no one ever mentions their motherboard but this must connect everything to everything else and, in my humble opinion, is as important as the CPU and GPU. Be careful with overclocking since you want the the CPU and GPU to work as a team. If the CPU is too fast the GPU will skip cycles. My processor breezes along while my GPU runs in the 90% range. I do not overclock my humble rig since even a memory overclock caused CTD’s. All runs a stock speed. I run all at high with a few settings at ultra and have a great time playing and learning. Best wishes.

1 Like