MSFS 2024 | What we know so far

Well I think we can all agree that the trailer looks amazing. Here are some of the details we know so far:

1. MSFS2024 will be a new stand-alone simulator.
  2. Microsoft have stated that it will continue to deliver on the current MSFS (2020) roadmap
  3. Existing Addons will work with 2024
    “With very few exceptions, virtually all add-ons that work in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) today will function in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. Add-ons that were purchased from the in-simulator Marketplace will not need to be re-purchased in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024”

Aircraft
Canadair CL-415 - Waterbomber (Fire)
Airbus H125 Helicopter
Airbus A330
Airbus A380
Embraer EMB 202 Ipanema or a Cessna 188 (Crop Duster)
Sikorsky CH-54 Tarhe (Helicopter)
Airbus BelugaXL (Transport)
Airbus A400M (Transport)
DA62 (Updated with door openings and external camera) (Charter/Research)
Jetson ONE (Drone)
Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt (Military/Formation)
Cirrus SF50 Vision Jet
Airship Industries Skyship 600 (Blimp)
Hot Air Balloons
House Atreides Ornithopter (Dune Expansion)

Career/Missions
Aerial Firefighting
Search and Rescue
Helicopter Cargo Transport
Air Ambulance
Agricultural Aviation
Mountain Rescue
Skydive Aviation
Aerial Construction
Industrial Cargo Transport
Remote Cargo Ops
VIP Charter Service
Air Racing
Glider Pilot
Scientific Research
Experimental Flight
Low Altitude Training
Executive Transport Service
Airship Tour
Hot Air Balloon Trips

Features
Seasons
New rendering
New models
New tress and vegetation
New clouds/weather (Tornado)
New VFX

Exciting times ahead for sure!

33 Likes

This is irrelevant to me, if my PC can’t handle 2024 (which is likely), then i’ll feel i’m playing the inferior version of the flight sim. Of course i realise that’s just my personal take, but i’m now waiting to see what new info comes in the next few days, and depending on what i read i’ll be uninstalling 2020.

I was really hoping for India, Africa, Middle-east, Asia world updates etc, but even if they did do them for 2020, i’ll still know i’m missing out on all sorts of cool weather effects among other things. The announcement has disappointed me so much, i don’t even feel like playing the game anymore right now.

16 Likes

How about the PMDG, this one I bought via there website with the PMDG central.

3 Likes

My analogy would be, you’re with a group of artists (we all love posting screenshots of the world we fly over), they all get better art-materials, better canvas, brighter paints, and you’re stuck with your old tools. They all produce better images and you feel like the odd one out.

Might as well find another hobby where you’re on an equal footing, (in this case a game), and i will do that.

3 Likes

And Picasso did some of his finest work with nothing more than a charcoal pencil! Its not the tools, its how you use them.

MSFS is wonderous and will continue to be so, if you let it be that for you.

7 Likes

So you won’t be getting 2024, 2020 is more than good enough for you right?

2 Likes

Who knows? Right now all I’ve seen is a vision of the future product. I’ve no idea what it will be actually like, what its features, performance demands, benefits costs etc will be.

Am I excited by the announcement? Very - a true multiplayer and career experience native to a sim will be fantastic.

Would I definitely get it? Again who knows - it depends on how well they do it.

Will I continue to use and enjoy MSFS 2020 in the interim and beyond? Absolutely. I’ve never let envy get in the way of doing the things I enjoy. I stopped thinking that way around about the age of 11.

Will I spend a lot of time agonizing in the interim about what MSFS 2024 means? Nope - I’ll wait and see when there is some real news. (but I think some 3rd party devs will have a lot of pressing questions)

12 Likes

I believe the happiest people right now are the ones who were planning to upgrade their rig and were postponing for no reason. Now they can wait a tiny bit more to know the specs for the 2024 version and upgrade accordingly + buy the new version while they’re at it.

When it comes to gadgets (all kinds) in these rapidly evolving day and age, i find that patience and waiting are a good bet.

4 Likes

That was the only way for you to get out of that silly situation you ‘painted’ yourself into with your Picasso analogy, and it took you a fair while to find it. The reality is, if you can afford it you’ll get it because it’s better, end of story. ‘tools and how you use them’ my ■■■.

It’s not about envy as you suggest, it’s about no longer being part of the main group, it’s a feeling of loss and exclusion, not desire. I’ll still be watching people’s MSFS 2024 videos on Youtube, and enjoying seeing them play, but don’t try and tell me an inferior game will be just as good as a superior one, or insinuate the cause of my disappointment is my own fault.

2 Likes

The crop duster is more likely Carenado’s C188B:

Where did you see an A380?

4 Likes

The specs are dictated by what XBOX series X and S can deliver so I don’t think the requirements will change that much.

14 Likes

I see it as a good thing. I mentioned before in another thread that from the looks of the trailer, the game looks much more “fluid” and there seems to be some new optimizations codes involved. Plus i’m almost certain that DX12 will be fully compatible and highly recommended (if not mandatory) upon release.

2 Likes

You would uninstall the sim in the next few days over a product that isn’t going to launch for another year? Because you assume you cant be part of the 2024 gang? Ok. Please uninstall!

12 Likes

Sometimes this is what consumerism do to you. When you reached that 30something years old of age or more, you kind of stopped feeling like left out or FOMO. It is okay to not have watched every MCU movies, it is okay to not have the latest Toyota Camry (you are more open to buy used cars), you tend to care about other people less and appreciate what you care the most, a bit more. But I can understand your feeling - sometimes there are just things that makes you no longer care for something because you lost “it” - like how I stopped caring religiously for MCU movies after they killed Tony Stark - and hey, no biggie - I told no one until today.

I skipped FSX for that reason, despite having bought the game 17 years ago. Stuck with my FS9 (2004), knowing that all of those manually compiled and collected AI traffic will not be reproduceable in 1 year time within FSX. People keep asking, where do you get that special A319 Air Berlin liveries? When I post a screenshot of my traffic collection. It is FS2004 in 2009, 3 years into FSX timeline.

I’m still on the fence and cautiously optimistic about MSFS2024. There is a part of me that is pretty disappointed with the way the trailer is compiled (only showing gameplays) - so I’m still waiting for more information - whether MSFS2024 will be as serious as Jorg has been raving about the whole Asobo’s MSFS concept. There is also part of me that is optimistic, because after trying Reno Air Race DLC, I am pretty okay with the concept. The planes are still that medium-high fidelity real - not just pure eye candy like some payware planes. You can flash the landing lights or adjust the mixtures, prop pitch during the “race”. It is just lacking the sim depth - since you start mid air. It could be rewarding to do something meaningful with the complex vehicle. But as I said, I’m not expecting that much as of now.

4 Likes

its designed to work with Xbox S/X - that could be a good indication of hardware requirements

6 Likes

oh that does look a lot closer - thanks mate - I will edit the OP

2 Likes

So. to my annoyance and probably the only one, we will have 2024 coming out. when I purchased FS2020 i was taken in by the “10 year commitment”. Now, MS have said that they will continue as usual with MS2020, updates etc but I can’t help thinking that yes we will get updates but they get les and less. Having paid nearly $500 for the sim and addons this really does seem like a kick in the teeth.

Lets be honest here, MSFS2020 is far from perfect. We are still chasing bugs that were there from day one and features that were “promised” (working weathermap anyone?) I find it a hard pill to swallow if I have to pay another $130 for a simulator that will have similar problems as we are experiencing now.

I am all for progress and the need to keep the simulator upto date but this announcement is way too soon.

6 Likes

I’m super excited.

I think the future of flight sim is extremely bright and I even have confirmed from faq we can transfer our market place purchases.

I wanted career mode and my prayers have been answered

I only hope they keep this a SIM / game not an arcade
So free flight available and focus on realism.

I purchased 32gb of ram today and hoping to install later and do a comparison video on current SIM

4 Likes

00:57 - LEBB - Bilbao Airport
01:02 - Walking?
01:45 - Mount Fanjing - WU China

3 Likes

I’m hoping for some realism too. Kind of like how Canadian firefighter trained on XP.

Another legit question raised by the community is: how realistic is the “water bombing” or “aerosol spraying” is going to be? Are we only going to see realistic planes with full systems simulation but basically just an afterthought scripted “button press action here, just like those storybook games” type of scenario? Or pilots do have to look for wind direction, weather condition, and plan their approach to the fire / fields accordingly?

2 Likes