MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

Voted. I’m a Series X user but the game breaking stuff needs more exposure, and needs to be addressed and not ignored. Regardless of platform.

3 Likes

Submitted a zendesk fault report today with collected fault/error reports.

2 Likes

In the meantime every third flight is ending with CTD. Useless buy and fly with the new FENIX Airbus.

I am maybe agreeing in that or perhaps one of the culprits, I have done with the A330 Neo a flight of almost 9 hours just now, the different what I did was:

-disconnect the keyboard wireless receiver and I connected it by MOBO Bluetooth,

-other was, I fly in VR around one hour in the beginning and in the end with some times connecting and disconnecting VR, and in between I have switched off the WMR program.

-Other was in energy option to select maximum performance and never suspend nor switch off monitor, and in advanced in HDD select never suspend them.

-Activate in W11 Net Framework 3.5, I read something in the OpenXr toolkit thread that was needed, I am not sure of this.

Other in the BIOS a few parameters that other times I have switched too and I think they are not decisive.

1 Like

Same here, every few flights I get this issue. Happens with FBW and Fenix A320. To me it seems rather unrealistic we all corrupted our Windows installation, must be the simulator. Never had the issue in any other game. Tried everything regarding drivers that came into my mind so far.
I also installed MSFS clean. However, doing a clean installation of Windows is something I can’t do so easy as I am a student with much important data for university and it would take days to reinstall.

Windows 11
i7-11700K
32,0 GB RAM
RTX 3070

Thrustmaster TCA Pack as controllers.

1 Like

If there’s any corruption it was not caused by the users. The problems will persist because the software defective. That’s why reinstalling things is a waste of time. It gives you false hope.

4 Likes

Indeed. That’s what I said. There is a NullPointerException in this. Means there is a Variable in the code, that points at nothing.
The only thing you can do here, is to find a way to disable this Exception, finding the stetting that triggers it.

I guess there is something wrong with the Sound. I tested it and turned off some Sound settings. It worked for a 2 hours flight so far. Before this change, it crashed in 15 to 60 minutes. If you all want, try it too and look if it works for you.

Perhaps, it could be the connection errors too. Because of Azure function for the radio sound. It could trigger this error, when you lose the connection sometimes. So I turned ATC Text-To-Speech Stettings to off and flying without radio sound for now. Maybe offline works too. I don’t know if that’s the problem. I can’t test it alone to say that.

1 Like

Thanks for this information, will test with you to see if it helps. I guess the top two option of output devices do not contribute to memory error, but I still set them to my actual speakers.

So, something new, at least for me. I have been trying to fly the new MD-80 and it would error out after about 15 mins. I would just get past setup and was getting ready to taxi and it would crash. I tired the new 737 by PMDG and it crashed and now the new A320. The A320 would crash after just a few mins. I then tried the new MV310R was able to complete an 1 1/2 flight. Then a flight in the stock Cessna Citation was able to get another long flight. Seems to be an issue with complex aircraft. I have tried a lot of the ideas on here and still cannot get the error to stop. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Been getting this “memory” error for 3 days now with no real pattern. Been flying all over the world with it coming up usually about an hour in. Tried all solutions and currently testing out the Audio/DX12 fix.

Pretty over this now.

I7 8700
2070 Super
32GB Corsair ddr4

1 Like

Hello,
In my case, the game is unplayable.
The game now crashes with the memory error message as soon as I activate vr mode.
I tried everything I found on the internet, nothing worked for me.
I am personally very disappointed with the game updates.
Asobo should slow down to better control its work.

2 Likes

Tried turn off azure text to speech, no luck. Must be something else. It’s really a shame that gamers not developers are trying their best to solve what meant to be developer’s job.

I can’t speak for the developers and what they are doing to get to the root cause of these problems. But give them time and they will figure it out assuming they are competent enough.

Memory management defects are really hard to track down. Users may spend a lot of time trying to find a workaround but the problems will persist if not corrected by the developers.

Users should give this a rest and stop tweaking their systems trying to find a solution. Tweaks can have undesirable consequences on other software running in your PC. Then you have to revert the tweaks and nothing has been gained.

1 Like

Agreed, however I have followed MS’s troubleshooting to the letter in order to reply to and update my zendesk ticket: I’m not prepared to modify my system beyond what has been done so far, as it’s required for work and I do sorta need sound output and attached peripherals. I was so hopeful this time too but alas the fault persists in a 1 day old install of flight sim, fully vanilla’d!!!

Flight simulator was completely uninstalled 2 days ago and re-installed.
Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling is off.

Most recent Nvidia Drivers installed. 512.77

I completed all steps to return sim to ‘vanilla’ - removed a couple of add ins (Garmin NXi, Vessels pack, One 3rd party aircraft - Bleriot XI), Deleted rolling cache and config/Deleted the Content.xml file and .dat files, renamed community folder (empty anyway)

I unplugged everything except Keyboard, mouse and Flight stick (new logitech Extrme 3D, no issues with it, cannot fly without it as I have a broken arm right now.)
I uninstalled my realtek audio drivers, closed all extraneous software.

After approx 15 mins flight on leg 1 of the Iberian Bush trips, I received the same crash and memory Error. Image attached (cannot be screengrabbed via prntscrn after crash has occurred)

The crash is seemingly at random, occurring 8-40 mins into a flight. On a good day I might get 1-2hrs and several legs of a bush trip with no crash. On a bad day it may crash in minutes or even in menu screen.

Bucket ID of previous crashes
da1a3e5da23bdabd0af4799027a9f35b (1942310999351227227)
a7949c19e7a89345e0949391b28f743d (1194742055135310909)

(not all crashes are logged in reliability monitor/event viewer)

My system is otherwise 100% stable. I test and evaluate PC hardware for a living, including many other demanding games. My System is not overclocked beyond XMP, which has passed long duration memory stability testing via Memtest 86. No other software or usage induced faults in my system. It never BSOD’s or throws memory faults. I log Data and have attached HWInfo64 logs for 2 crashed runs (GPU utilisation drops to zero after the sim crashes) - you can see the system is otherwise operating within all normal parameters.

Win 11 - i7-12700K, MSI Z790 Carbon, 32GB DDR5-6000CL36 G.Skill RAM, Sim run off of Samsung 980Pro SSD, RTX 3080Ti GPU. All rock Solid​ in every other usage case!

Have tried both audio output changes, deleting audio drivers completely, and disabling in game audio/azure ATX voice etc in Sound settings. Memory read errors persist.

Beyond any fixes suggested directly from my Zendesk ticket I’m done attempting to trouble shoot this for now. Too much wasted time.
Vanilla Azure voice off

1 Like

Thank you! I have not seen the error message for the last two hours! I fly under the exact same conditions. I think this solved it for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

[Update] I have solved this issue for my setup. As I suspected it is a USB issue due to device disconnecting. This worked for me, may work for you.

Before I start, although the problem lies in a USB device disconnection, this still needs to be fixed by Asobo as a controller going away should not be able to crash the sim so spectacularly. I remember P3D had a similar issue until very recently. X-Plane for what it is worth has managed to handle these events without issue for a long as I can remember, so it is possible.

My System:
Windows 11
64GB Memory (XMP Profile)
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme X570 Motherboard
Nvidia RTX 3090

Attatched Controllers:
TCA Airbus Throttle Quadrant
TCA Boeing Yoke (this was the faulting device crashing MSFS)
Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with Flight Sim Projects Airbus Flight Stick
Virpil ACE Flight Pedals

As I was investigating this issue I have followed a number of steps recommended in this thread, and one of those was to remove the Thrustmaster TCA drivers/software, which I did try.

I noticed that when my system would start, a lot of the time my TCA Boeing Yoke would not register correctly with windows. It would appear in the USB Joystick Devices, however none of the axis movements would register, or would be incorrect. Unplugging and replugging in the controller after system start would generally solve this initially, but from time to time the yoke would disconnect and quickly reconnect.

After re-installing the Thrustmaster device drivers, the config for the Yoke quickly prompted to update the Firmware. Folllowing the firmware update, the Yoke no longer disconnects and reconnects intermittently. I went ahead and updated the other TCA components that needed it.

Returning to MSFS and I have been able to fly without issue for the last 2 days, about 5 flights so far (10 hours or so). It seems as though the faulting TCA Boeing Yoke was the culprit for my Memory Read Errors.

If you are experiencing these issues I would recommend investigating your USB devices, especially the ones that MSFS cares about and seeing if there are firmware updates, or a USB Hub that cannot supply enough power - the TCA yoke consumes a lot it seems.

Your mileage may vary, but this has resolved the issue for me.

Again, Asobo, you do need to address this - even if it is to add a more useful Error Message for this event.

1 Like

nope. I have managed a 7 hour testing without crash. But after that, it still crashed. It is not fixed, it is just your 2 hour luck.

3 Likes

a relation to sound devices we had already under suspection ( was a solution for some users ).

Azure is intressting… I have it since ages in OFFLINE ( not OFF )… may be therefore I not get the issue (?).

I also wonder which sound resolution the users have set and whether additional sound effects and tools are installed (e.g. asus sonar). Not that we have again issue from these side… The safest way to test this, is to start msfs with disabled windows audio service.

I have done a quick check on USB devices. When I unplug my keyboard and mice, nothing happened. But as I re-plug in my keyboard and mice, the sim crashed with memory cannot be read almost instantly. It seems there’s really an issue with USB side of thing.

1 Like