MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

I still use navigraph but i have removed the navdata center from the startup applications, i fly an average of 4 flights a week for an average per flight of 2 hours, from the day i have removed navigraph from startup apps i have flown 2 flights, the third will be this evening, so far our friend did not show up

1 Like

The CTDs seem to be caused by a combination of factors. For me they significantly decreased in frequency when setting GPU to founders edition clocks. But they didnā€™t disappear completely. Turning off XMP and I havenā€™t seen the CTD for many flights (knock on wood). I also turned off hyperthreading, but Iā€™m unsure if that has anything to do with it. Iā€™ve turned it back on.

Iā€™m sure quite a few people have factory OCā€™d GPUs and XMP enabled in the BIOS. Some people have also mentioned sound settings. So yeah, probably a lot of different causes, perhaps acting together. Which is why itā€™s so hard to troubleshoot.

1 Like

On my side i have both disabled XMP CPU OC and downclocked my GPU. If the error will not show up in about 10 flights i will try to restore them in order to understand if they are related

If this is purely a software issue, as youā€™ve stated, can you provide an explanation why the majority of users never encounter this error?

I get that youā€™re frustrated about this issue, but taking offense to a moderator addressing the fact that hardware likely plays a significant role in this error isnā€™t going to be productive.

I meant not to offend anyone simply i would like to understand their reply (one on over 1000 posts) who states that it is hardware related, imho it cannot be stated that it is hw related as before SU9 on same hw config did not happened to anyone

1 Like

may be for intresst for compareā€¦ XMP may be the biggest difference of what users reported. I use XMP mode, but the XMP profile of my RAM is mainly same as the fastest JEDEC standard profile (1), so no OC here.

I OC my CPU with ā€œsync all coresā€ - setting and my 2080TI is factory OCā€™ed ( the highest pre-OC model ).

I have many sound-devices, but for MSFS I use in meanwhile the onboard realtek digital out ( toslink) with a driver date from 12/2019 from MS. But I killed all of that Asus sound-tools, I banned nahimic service from my system, etc.

System ( win10pro ) wide vcruntime is in meanwhile at 14.31.31103 and .Net seems 4.7.2 ā€¦ if that relatesā€¦

.net updated to last version, c++ runtimr only 2003 for msi afterburner and 2015 -2019 sound realtek only, maybe windows? I have win11

that I thought too, but we have reports from win10 users tooā€¦

EDIT: what exactly are these for versions ?

you find the versions eg. within the device-manager ā†’ audio-devices and audio-controller ā†’ properties ā†’ details page ā†’ choose driver-verison from list. ( if you have installed the realtek package, you can also see it within programme-features )ā€¦ I assume its somewhat with 6.xxxx ? ( but I realy hope in win11 are per default newer drivers installed :slight_smile: )

Is it possible that the internet connectivity for users might be a factor in whether they get these CTD or not and how often they get them?

Letā€™s say that a log of say AI traffic issues is stored somehow in memory and the data structure used to hold this log is not prevented from exceeding its capacity. If you have a rock-solid Internet connection then you would have less chance of filling this data structure, but if it has a time when it runs slow or has massive demand, that might change.

Lotā€™s of assumptions here, i know, but can anyone think of a way to temporarily reduce/remove the reliance on an internet connection, to see if the issue goes away?

yesterday I had same in mind, as I helped a friend with its router. While settings I remember that here some providers configure the router per default so, that one time per day the IP was renewed and I remember that some users here let the PC ā€œflightā€ over-night ( I know, strange that I think about the msfs forum while helping a friend :slight_smile: ). Package lost might be similar, but Iā€™am realy not sure whether this realy cause these kind of error-message, which is realy a bit ā€œspecialā€.

Realtek (R) Audio driver version 6.0.9244.1

A temporary loss of an internet connection might, if my theory holds any water, increase the number of issues.

hmmm, hereā€™s an idea, didnā€™t Asobo introduce some measures to prevent AI traffic causing slowdown/crashes at some point in the not-too-distant past. I wonder if they put some temporary debugging code in to track AI/live aircraft and then forgot to remove it, and it is this code that is exceeding the limits of a data structure???

I must stop drifting off on these crazy theories. :slight_smile:

As far as overclocks go I think the cpu is the least likely, this is a memory error afterall. I have a simple PBO ā€˜enabledā€™ OC which comfortably gives me a 4.59GHz boost instead of 4.36 without.
No problems or CTDs. My 14CL Trident-Zs are on slightly relaxed Jedec timings as I have all four slots occupied.

Agree. In my case GPU clocks and memory clocks. Hopefully it will be useful to others experiencing the same issue. And if thereā€™s anyone with this issue that has 4 DDR5 sticks installed, Iā€™d remove two of those and re-test. Or run Memtest86 with all 4 installed.

1 Like

Youā€™re probably right, but the memory controller lies on the processor for modern processors. If the memory controller is bad, it can look and act like a bad RAM problem. Prime95 can test the memory controller by using a certain FFT size. I donā€™t remember off the top of my head, but a quick Google search should do it.

However, at least in the case of Ryzen, a bad memory controller will throw WHEA events. Thatā€™s usually the first sign of an unstable Infinity fabric overclock for Ryzens.

1 Like

I thought of that but as most modern controllers can comfortably handle 4000MHz plus I think it less likely. From what Iā€™ve seen 3200-3600 is most widely used in MSFS.

With XMP on my DDR5 will run at 6000MHz. XMP off: Been able to complete GA flights from to Singapore to Bhutan without the CTD now. For the last ~2.5hr flight I used a custom clock of 5800MHZ. No CTD.

Once I know which RAM frequency is stable, the next step is to increase GPU clocks.

A sensible approach to MSFS, how refreshing! :rofl:

Whatā€™s your point?

That more people should do as you do and actually take the trouble to find out what their hardware is capable of (within the confines of MSFS).

1 Like