MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

Same issue from my side.
Configuration:
i7 12700k
32GB RAM
RTX 3080Ti

For some days I could reproduce by using ingame navigraph charts. After deinstalling the ingame toolbar, this did not happen again - but might just be coincidence. As per my stomach, it might be navigraph plugin related…

On the other side I myself use the navigraph plugin every day and had this error only three times in a period of several months.

On my side on vanilla MSFS hence no Navigraph I still get this CTD. I have been able to complete one several hour long flight, but I still get the CTDs, only infrequently. There seems to be no pattern to it.

have you mobo with realtrek sound and whats then your driver version ?.. not that we still searching at completly wrong side. We should not forget, that issues with the “sound devices” was the first solution which fixed that for many users.

@ElCattivo2891 as you can see in former post Navigraph crashed as running standalone with same error message. So, might be a relation, or its just random because it crashs caused from same system issue.

I’m on a MSI z690 Carbon EK X motherboard. For sound I’m connected through the HDMI cable to my OLED TV, which I use for gaming. Hence I’m using NVidia high definition audio. I’ve disabled the Realtek motherboard sound, but the driver version is 10.0.22621.1 date 06/05/22, provided by Microsoft.

1 Like

I also use HDMI for sound having disabled the onboard in bios and consequently I don’t have any sound drivers installed except NVidia. The three or four of these seemingly random CTD’s I incurred were 100% due to my vram overclock and/or HAGs. For me turning either of them off fixed the problem and retesting the situation after an update only brought them back.

I thought I had resolved the issue by underclocking the GPU core and VRAM. Resetting the GPU reproduced the CTDs. I’ve long since disabled HAGS. Unfortunately the CTDs still occur, although much less frequently.

1 Like

Yep they seem to have multiple triggers which is probably why they’re so elusive.

Quick update re: my quest in hunting this elusive ghost. I’ve disabled XMP and hyperthreading in the BIOS. It’s probably too early to tell but it seems promising after hours of flying with no sight of the ghost. I’ll keep you posted.

EDIT: My heart skipped a few beats as I saw the well-known “memory could not be read” box. Luckily it was one of my saved images and not the real thing. I was browsing through some images in the downloads folder. Oh well, I’m sure I’m not out of the woods yet.

Did you ever run the Memtest like I suggested? It can also be used to check stability of overclocked RAM. That’s how I found out my RAM at 3800 Mhz wasn’t stable, but 3733 Mhz was completely fine.

I’m sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I’d highly encourage you to run it overnight. You might feel silly chasing this down if it turns out it was just bad RAM.

Good points, I will do it. One of the reasons I haven’t done an overnight Memtest so far is that I’ve started long-haul flights before going to bed, to test stability. I really hope I won’t discover any RAM errors though, as it will be pricey to replace DDR5. I could probably RMA the sticks, but then I’d be without a PC for weeks.

important to test is disabling XMP mode ( but: if you do memtest, do it with enabled xmp mode :slight_smile: )

HT is a good CPU feature and disabling that might not so usefull in multithread applications.

Then, if I remember, you checked the known high possible trouble makers

• disabled OC on GPU ( also factory OC , e.g with nvidias debug mode )
  • tested ones with disbaled XMP mode
  • ( hopefull CPU is also not OC’ed )
  • disabled the onboard sound in BIOS ( to be sure to realtek device is show in device manager and un-installed possible installed sound-tools )
  • done usually system checks like sfc /scannow
  • reinstalled e.g. nvidia drivers ( with reset option )

If that all not helped, hmmm… I’am personaly still not sure whether the game cause that because we have reports with same error where msfs was not running ( here with navigraph, in big google for lots of other applications / games ). If we exclude hardware, then still think its more driver or windows or another background application.

I ran 4 passes of MemTest86. Prior to this I had enabled XMP in the BIOS :slightly_smiling_face: Unfortunately you need the PRO version for more than 4 passes. So I’ll buy that and repeat the test. But so far no errors.

@MichaMMA I’ve checked/done everything that you mentioned. I’ve done CHKDSK, SFC, and DISM with no errors.

I’ll probably do more sim testing today in vanilla mode to see if the CTD will appear. So far so good for several hours now with underclocked GPU, default CPU clock, no XMP and no HT. But as this error is elusive I guess it could appear after countless of hours of simming…

1 Like

Turning off overclocks is mandatory when investigating such errors, I thought everybody knew that. Like it or not XMP is an overclock.

1 Like

Windows has its own mem test or your MOBO in BIOS maybe has memtest+ included like mine.

If that you are doing helps, possible it point a problem with that, but anyways could be of MICROSOBO too plus hardware and who knows and one person one cause, other others etc…

1 Like

Yes it’s easy to forget that XMP is RAM OC. Jay proves this point in this video when testing DDR5 with Intel 12th gen. At this early stage with DDR5 we can’t expect 100% stability with DDR5 XMP.

1 Like

Well after 4 months of this issue I can take my conclusions, it is definetly a software issue, why do I think this?
Well starting from the day after SU9 update back in April I have:

• Changed RAM
  • Added 32GB of RAM to 64GB
  • Performed various Memtests
  • Changed PSU
  • Installed several tims MSFS even in different locations
  • Tried software to clean the RAM cache
  • Changed OC of RAM both overclocking and downclocking RAM
  • Removed CPU OC and XMP profiles
  • …and more :smiley:

I have read in this tread many solutions and tries of other users all around the world but everyone was still receivning this error more or less frequent like is happening to me.
After I have read that the error showed up (only in one user) in the Navigraph application I have removed the app from the startup ones and so far I have not received the error yet but I still does not trust this software as after SU9 it has become too much unstable for me, also, in my opinion, and I am not a software developer, a stable software sold for more than 100 EUR (my version) should not have any conflict with other softwares built to be integrated; i.e. Navigraph is built for flight simming, the simulator should not confilict with it or if it does there should be a dialog between the two software house to fix the issue (never shown before SU9). At least if a bug show up during an update and is reported from many users it should be investigated and addressed in reasonable times (not months) with an hotfix and not leaving so many users (who have regularly paid the software) waiting for a future software update tha, as far as i have understood will be at least SU11. Or at least a workaround should be rovided from the developers.

One last consideration, reading the moderators team comment has left me with a bitter flavour in my mouth as, I understand that they have to moderate between more or less angry users, but stating that the issue may be on the users hardware I think it is too much, many of us are reporting this issue and many of us have different specs, if the software is not compatible with a peripheral it MUST be written BEFORE. i.e. not compatible with Geforce 30XX series, in this way I can decide if I should buy it and change my GPU or stay in Xplane or other simulator I am using. Also if this error never showed up at none of the users until SU9 how could be that the same hardware has become suddenly incompatible with MSFS?

Sorry for the long post but these 4 months of instability are draining from me the pleasure of flying…

if I understand correct you mention you are the second user which report a relation to navigraph and where disabling that was helpfull ?

At least all users which have it installed and run into these error , should then check that too.
One time can happen, two time is random, and if we have a third user with same we have a sympthom. But I also assume it is may be not navigraph itself, its more like that it suffer from same root-cause.

And no… we not say that hardware is incompatible. We say that hardware can have issues, very often its drivers can have issues ( and OC in generaly can cause issues ). We should also not forget all the “frameworks” behind, e.g. .net etc… And it has also nothing to do with 30xx cards. Other users reported the issue with e.g. the same card I use ( 2080TI ), but I never seen that error message on my system. But whats the different to the other users system ? I dont know…

Also a hint: check in big google for same error but other games ( e.g. forca, gta, etc… ) … may be you find intressting hints

Well can’t say that it is navigraph related as the frequency of this error for me has lowered to a maximum of one every 5-6 flights, i am now at 2 so far with no errors, in case this should happen again without navigraph navdata center open i will report it here, what i can say is that it worth a try

1 Like

ah… thanks… I understood it never again happend since you no longer used navigraph. So it may be that navigraph can increase the occurance, may be because “a special kind of additonal load” because of that ( a guess :wink: ).