MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

Another thing to try is set and rise the voltage of the CPU despite apparently it is stable in the rest of PC tasks, and/or low the CPU frequency too.

Check if the GPU firmware is updated too.

Asobo, please a fix needed for this error that is randomly in the simulator. It shows in the world, when takeoff, landing, cruise in the menuā€¦ is very randomly!! I know that this error shows up a large number of simmers that have high end PCs, so is not the pc.

Yes hopefully they are seriously looking into this. I donā€™t know how much time Iā€™ve spent troubleshooting this issue. And my system is pretty much brand new, custom-built, 12900KF, 3090, DDR5, high-end motherboard, PCIe 4.0 SSD and a 1600w PSU. Fresh win 11 install as well as fresh MSFS install.

They answered my support ticket quickly though, and have asked me to send them more information, which is a good thing. And this topic is bug-logged.

But yes the issue is extremely random. Yesterday I was able to complete a near 2 hr flight to my surprise. I definitely get the CTD less frequently after reducing the GPU core clock. But it still happens unfortunately.

1 Like

With a new install HAGs is on by default yet for me it brings nothing to MSFS except problems. If you havenā€™t turned it off already it can be found under System/ Display/ Graphics/ Change default graphics settings.

I hope that the official SU10 bring us a relieve on that issueā€¦

Not in the SU10 Beta build it doesnt. But im hoping it makes the next buildā€¦Alas i fear this may drag on until SU11

I fear they will need more time than SU10 beta to resolve this issue. It got bug-logged not long ago.

As for my troubleshooting, Iā€™ve gone 100% vanilla MSFS as per Zendesk instructions as they suggest my issues ā€œindicate a conflict with third party software.ā€ Which could very well be true. So far Iā€™m about 2 hours into a +5hr flight in the stock 787. No peripherals except keyboard and mouse connected (not even my Xbox controller). This troubleshooting is very tedious, but Iā€™m determined to do what I can to resolve the issue.

2 Likes

This error isnā€™t really a MSFS problem, but more of it highlighting a looming hardware issue. Thereā€™s been a variety of suggested solutions that work for some and not others, which only adds to the complexity. Fortunately, a lot of users donā€™t have this sort of error, so I donā€™t think the finger can be pointed only at MSFS.

I would suggest people to be more active in identifying potential hardware issues on their setup, rather than ā€œwaitingā€ for Asobo to fix the issue.

2 Likes

Not sure if thatā€™s the case here. Just want to repeat that Iā€™m on a completely new build, very high-end hardware, fresh Win11 install, vanilla MSFS install. I suspect thereā€™s some component of hardware incompatibility to this, but I still feel itā€™s on Asobo to ensure compatibility also for very high-end systems. That people have invested (a lot) of money in. To make this sim run as best as it could.

But I do understand itā€™s out of the scope for Asobo to provide support for third parties.

1 Like

If this was the case then surely this thread would not be tagged bug logged?

Hardware has been my my main theme in trying to track this down. My system is 12 months old and only used for MSFS. Iā€™ve been through it testing everything. All tests have found no hardware issues even done overnight memtests. Everything is stock with no overclocks. And still random read errors.

1 Like

Yea, but realize thereā€™s plenty of us on high-end systems that donā€™t have this problem. Unfortunately, with an almost infinite number of hardware configurations on PC, itā€™s almost impossible to ensure compatibility.

It gets tagged as bug logged once enough people vote. It just means Asobo is aware of the issue. It would be interesting to see the inverse - how many people DONā€™T have this issue.

Again, Iā€™m not sure I agree. If this would be true for Windowsā€¦ But as I said I am looking into this in terms of my own system. Default BIOS, GPU to stock values.

2 Likes

@moderators Can you confirm what the tag ā€œBug-Loggedā€ actually means?

I was under the impression this tag meant it was a confirmed bug and logged in the bug tracker.

It means the issue is being tracked in our internal bug logging tool and the dev team is actively investigating and/or working on a fix. It is not confirmation that it is a bug with the MSFS software itself. It could be a problem caused by individual playersā€™ hardware, mods, background apps, security settings, or possibly even a combination of both hardware and software. As many posts in this thread indicate, this particular memory error occurs seemingly at random. Some players are reporting they can never complete a flight of more than a few hours without getting it, while many other players (myself included) never get it at all.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

6 Likes

Considering I have the same hardware/software as the first day I installed MSFS at which I never received this error until this past April 2022 when MSFS did their World Update. It is in no way my hardware. The best repair would be to give paid software users the ability to revert MSFS back to original install without any World Updates. The program was running perfectly back then. MSFS doesnā€™t even offer this and make World Updates Mandatory. I could care less about elevation, clouds or weather improvements. This error is getting old!!!

1 Like

How many software (OS and non OS) and driver updates has your device had since first installing MSFS?

1 Like

Ok Thank you for the clarification. I will continue looking into this on my end.

yesā€¦ users still not aware of these post

It is not MSFS which crashed in that case, it was not running. With the same error " Navigraph Navdata Center.exe" crashed.

As the issue started there was also a windows update, and beside of the hardware issues was that the first big trouble maker. For some users it ā€œkilledā€ the system-sound-settings and correcting that, fixed the problem for lots of users. But then we got additional reports and we come back to the hardware/driver stuff ( or still a windows-x thing ). The main problem is, that with the MSFS update also a windows update comes out and so we can unfortunately not ensured say it happens because of ā€œmsfs update 9ā€. But I will never exclude a relation to MFSF itself, its complex application and who knows, but then I ask me why only ā€œsomeā€ users see these error.

And, it have nothing to do wiht ā€œhigh endā€ or ā€œnot high endā€ as some users mentioned. The issue was reported also from users far away from high end.

Is it a rhetorical question?

And be careful thinking that with auto default or auto optimized BIOS setting all must be ok in settings in hardware side, that does not mean an stable PC or CPU etcā€¦

Not for all but for me this is one of the causes sure, and not the only cause sure too.

W11 SU9, PSU 1000W
MOBO Z690
12900K, 32GB DDR5 ok (despite it isnĀ“t in the list of supported DDR5 of MOBO)
3080Ti

1 Like