MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

There is a forum post about these CTD issues at EIDW which can be found here → CTD/freezing at Dublin (EIDW)

I tried EIDW after I saw the post above and got a CTD, tried again in safe mode with the same result. SU10 and no addon scenery.

Hi, After a few weeks break I wanted to test MSFS again because there was an update. had pushed 2 x CTD without a flight… first was in menu when loading WU. then when setting the settings on runway. I can’t believe how unstable this sim is. The problem is not my computer… P3D ran stably for over 600 hours… The computer ran stable for over 6 hours Prime… memtest ok… and 3D mark stress test… everything runs stable, no crashes… only MSFS i

s extremely unstable

a little summary from the last 20 not off-topic-posts in the discussion, of what would be intresting info:

• Store or Steam version ?
  • usage of “ReShade” ?
  • other hints checked like sound settings, xmp , … ?
1 Like
  1. MS-STORE Version
  2. No Reshade
  3. Clean Windows 11 & MSFS install.
    -Fenix
    -PMDG
    -EDDM
    -Honeycomb
    -FSUIPC (First CTD without FSUIPC)
    -Simlink (Navigraph)

Only installed

2 Likes

and to my computer. AMD 5800x , 32GB , RTX 3080 12GB. nothing is overclocked… Corsair Ram 3600 MHZ with Micron E… run over XMP profile… As I said, I never have problems with my PC. I can rule out hardware problems or unstable RAM.

1 Like

You really can’t because your OS and most other games do not stress your system as much. MSFS is open ended by nature otherwise one way or the other we’d all be getting performance capped.

And like it or not XMP is an overclock, disable it to find out if it’s the cause.

I would like to doubt that. P3D loads significantly more than MSFS and runs extremely stable. the rams pack even 3600 mhz with CL16… anyway I let it run with CL18. also if MSFS already crashes in the menu without a real load, I can hardly imagine that my ram is unstable In addition, this problem was posted here 1000 times… so everyone has a RAM problem?

Ram as in XMP and vram overclocks probably accounted for much of it but there was also an error in memory garbage handling which has been fixed and almost all of those 1000 errors predate this. For me it was the vram and stock speed the cure.

1 Like

some, yes… and for some was disabling xmp mode, or also set manually a slightly lowered frequency the solution. But, not for all and we still not sure whether this is “the” final solution. Therefore we can only give hints and try to collect “common things” for users where the message pops up.

I suddenly got this error a week ago (after not touching the sim for about two weeks due to no time).
The error message would show up without fail a few minutes after loading into an airport. Here are the main things I tried during my debugging (I started MSFS after every change):

• Remove all addons in the Community folder
  • Delete all MSFS cached data
  • Run Memtest to check my RAM (no problems detected after two full passes)
  • Run my RAM at 2400 Mhz instead of the 3600 Mhz with XMP
  • Run my GPU on the Silent Bios instead of the Gaming one
  • Uninstall and reinstall MSFS (I actually got this error during the reinstallation, in the MSFS installation Manager…)

The “Memory could not be read error” showed up every time I loaded into an airport. Some times it would take a little longer, but it always happened.

What has finally “solved” it for me, was reinstalling Windows from scratch, completely removing all parts of the old install. Now I have been testing for three days, installing one addon at a time etc.
and the sim is completely stable, no CTDs or anything, just like it was before I encountered this error.

Sadly I still do not know what the problem was, but I now have a stable sim again. Since this was fixed with a reinstall of Windows + MSFS + addons, I would think the problem (in my case) was with Windows and/or MSFS somehow.

My hardware: Intel i9-11900K, 64GB RAM (3600 Mhz), Nvidia RTX 3090.
Running Windows 11 Pro.

1 Like

one of the theory is also that an windows update caused that. At least the sound-device issue coming from some windows updates since then are reported from some users.

Devs should be upgrading the code instead of users downgrading their hardware. So this I would say is a software issue.

1 Like

an isssue which get unfortunately only some users and we try to find out whats different to the systems which not getting the issue… Discuss about who should do what is may be not very helpful here. If you have the issue, you can share infos about your system, installed software, steam - ms-store, etc. It’s may be also helpfull if you share your systems specs in case you not get the issue.

I have a Dell XPS8930 with 16G of ram. NVIDIA RTX 2060. Nothing overclocked or tweaked. Running windows 11, latest updates/patches. I just bought MSFS2020 from the App Store a couple of days ago…thought it would be a nice upgrade from Steam MSFS X… but after it autoloaded many many updates/fixes during the install process…every time I try to fly I get a memory error, similar to what you all are getting.

VERY frustrating. I was debating MSFS 2020 or X-Plane 12 (out soon)…I guess I may have jumped on the wrong plane…sigh…

1 Like

Seems an increasing number of people are reporting CTDs in various threads here and on Avsim. Of course there could be some common denominators (like everyone running MSFS…) but the sim at the moment seems fragile.

Could you ask a reimburse to MS Store and buy the FS2020 Steam version? and try and tell us if there is a difference regarding in those errors?

I just had a memory could not be read this evening after almost 6 hours… … … …

with the 0000000000000 error this time, with some snaps of sound (maybe when the ATC was going to speaks?, ATC sound related? I have it in automatic responses from copilot) before the Sim, not the PC, got frozen, though its sound continued, and I closed the memory advise and the sim closed immediately itself after. I have using the motherboard inbuild Realtek soundcard, maybe I try with the ■■■■■■ sound of the monitor and only the NVIDIA sound output, if it is something related, who knows, I have checked and tried so many things and workarounds.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

YES

Brief description of the issue:
I have now received this for the second time, the last time was 2 weeks ago.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Check the sound devices configuration in Windows - Settings - Sound. It keeps getting messed up by Windows update. For the “memory can’t be read at 0x0000000” this is often the cause. Memory errors at other addresses are a different beast.

BTW, I am a big fan of all your videos!

Yes. Make sure the default audio output device is the monitor itself if possible. Make sure it is NOT a Motherboard, Windows, or Video card audio mixer device.

This is a super frustrating error and made worse because of Windows update which keeps messing with these devices for reasons unknown.

1 Like