MSFS crashing in the middle of update

I’m trying to update MSFS but it crashes after about 5 minutes when starting the 71gb update. I tried updating my gpu drivers and everything. Please help

Hi @GiftedBongo8312!
Welcome to the forums!

It would greatly assist those helping you if you could provide more information. There is a template provided when posting in the #bugs-and-issues category:

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Brief description of the issue:

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

One main faulting issues of installation is having items in the Community Folder as well as some Marketplace items.

Assure that your PC is up-to-date with Windows 10. Followed by any app updates in the MS Store. Another thing to check is that your antivirus is not interfering while downloading/decompressing.

I found that either my ISP limits data file transfer size at busy times or there is simply too much traffic. Since I’ve taken to waiting until after midnight I’ve not had a problem.

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting. No addons in my community folder.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No dev mode, don’t have access to the sim

Brief description of the issue:after about 10 minutes from starting the update from like 1.15 to 1.17 (absurd 71gb update) the game crashes by itself

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:nothing to give

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:start update

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)i5 9600K, 16gb of ram and 1070ti

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: 1.17.3 when I wanted to update

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?Microsoft store version

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?No

Actually! A new install is like 83gb, and the update is 73GB I don’t really understand why. I tried using a new install and copy pasting the old 93GB downloaded files but the update is still huge for some reason.

Don’t reckon the issue is ISP related, the game just crashes to desktop when the internet is working perfectly. Thank you for your suggestion

Well If not my ISP’s servers then Microsoft’s take your pick but downloading in the wee hours works for me each and every time.

How long before you/ms/asobo understand the problem with msfs is not with the users.
Don’t let people fiddle around with their pc’s unnecessarily that only makes things worse.
Aim your efforts to make ms/asobo understand they have to fix this and communicate towards the users.

can you please show us the error message from windows event viewer ? ( e.g. a howto )

Please give us a info about free disc space and your windows virtual memory ( pagefile ). Because you own 16GIG RAM, a manually increasment might be necessary.

Hello very good evening! I have about 115gb of free space in the disk wherein i’m willing to install. And I have only about 4gbs in my SSD c drive wherein windows lays. Do you reckon it’s some problem with the virtual memory? I have automatically managed 5gb of virtual memory in my C drive. Also the event viewer doesn’t show any error, so this may not be classified as a CTD. but it shuts down like 1,5 gb in or something alike.

4GB free disc space ?? this is a problem. I assume you have default pagefile configured and these is located at windows drive.

Independened of the pagefile, you should ensure that you have at least >30GB free disc space ( and this is realy a minimum, better is much more like 100GB free ) … You can start windows cleanup , etc. … Windows itself, and also the applications need space to write e.g. some temp files and you run into strange behavior / issues in case there is not enought free disc space.

May be these also prevents the download… or maybe its the pagefile size.

With 16GIG RAM, you need possible much more than 5GIG pagefile ( good topic about ). It depends bit on your game settings/resolution. In case you have two discs, you can configure on each disc a seperate pagefile. Best you should ensure that you can get 16GB additional pagefile. ( 16GB RAM + 16GB pagefile )

Example Pagefile Setting with assumption limited space on C: and existing D: with enough free disc space

C: Minimum Value : 1024 Maximum Value 4096
D: Minimum value : 8192 : Maximum Value 20000

When you can get a 500GB SSD for around 30 euros and probably less in dollars there is no excuse for not enough storage.

na… you not know about the situation of each individual user :slight_smile:

The most users not know how much “windows junk” is stored on here disc.

• the restore points and update cleanup can consume easy >20GB.
  • also most users use the “hibernate” feature and this creates a hibernate.file with 70 -100% of RAM size ( a feature which is in ages of SSD not needed, except you realy want ‘freeze’ your pc state )
  • Then the normal temp files…

Thus… I assume he can manage it with a clean up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another one for those that have resetted is ‘Windows_Old’ taking up huge amounts of space.

1 Like

yep… that is included in update-clean up… Users should select also to remove former windows version ( after some days of testing :wink: ).

1 Like

if you have concord installed, at the end of the update it will C T D.
I did a full install re booted then added concord C T D AGAIN.
HOPE THIS HELPS.