MSFS CTD seconds after starting

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes (new install)

Brief description of the issue:

CTD would happen seconds after starting MSFS after the 40th Anniversary upgrade (v1.29.28.0). I Completely uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but the exact same CTD issue remains. The only way I can get MSFS to start is to reset and reinstall the program, and it only works the single time (the second time I start it, the CTD happens again).

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

https://youtu.be/WWdRgZXQTGY

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Start MSFS (the CTD happens)
  1. Start Add & Remove Programs, choose MSFS
  2. Under “Advanced Options”, choose “Reset”
  3. In the xBox app, choose “Install”
  4. Start MSFS
  5. Point to backup “Packages” directory
  6. MSFS will start successfully - once…

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Intel Core i7 12700KF, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 64GB DDR5

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Fault bucket 1809186015831525544

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Topic moved into Community Support > CTD Help

I found the problem - Razer Cortex was automatically “Boosting” my system when I started MSFS. Once I removed the Razer Cortex app, MSFS started with no issues.

2 Likes

That worked for me. I uninstalled Razor Cortex and the game was able to launch. I knew that was it. I saw that when the game launched as soon as Razor started doing its thing I get CTD. I should have listened to my gut. I saw your post and light bulb. Thanks for Posting this should help a lot of people.

You picked up on that a lot faster than me - it took the whole weekend for me to clue in! I kept saying to myself, “It can’t be Cortex, I’ve been using it for almost two years with no problems” (just goes to show that everything is suspect when issues arise)