MSFS Demographics

Are there any demographics on the sales of FS2020 throughout the world? Like a pie chart showing the major user base per country.
I have seen several content creators commenting on how the US is getting an unfair amount of attention…
p.s. I love the sim…

Not specific to MSFS, but Navigraph did a good job of their annual survey - last year’s results are here:

https://navigraph.com/blog/survey2021

7 Likes

The US has over twice the user base in flight sim (based on survey results) than any other country, and it’s been that way for the past couple of years.

Oh wow I remember making this survey last year, I think it was in September or November. Don´t remember exactly.

Not the answer you were looking for huh?? :joy::joy:

Besides that, Europe has been getting lots of updates with recently new techs. Back when US got it’s first update, it wasn’t so advanced how it is now. Take Spain for example.

Thanks CasualClick. That navigraph survey is amazing. I could not stop reading it…
And my main question answered…
27.5% [US]
12.4% [UK]
11.1%[DE]

2 Likes

I don’t subscribe to navigraph ( I did years ago) ,I know nothing about the survey,but how reliable are the results …are there some parts of the world where sim users are more likely to require the latest nav updates and use the services of navigraph and consequently appear in the survey.

The results may very well demonstrate the user base mix ,I have no idea at all,but is it really as cut and dry as you suggest?

If I am reading it your statement correctly, you do not need to have a navigraph subscription to participate in the survey, those who knew about it where able to partake in it no matter what. I would say it is pretty reliable. Most of the feedback and information came from the respondents themselves.

1 Like

unfair that there were 2 updates for US?
Look at the World update 2 for US.
3.797 million mi² of area
50 poi’s
4 airports

And World update 9, Italy
116,629 mi² of area
20 Photogrammetry cities
94 poi’s
4 airports

Just Square mileage alone it needed more done compared to other countries that were done.

1 Like

Fair enough I admit I did not read the detail of the survey very thoroughly.There are a few things that can affect a survey results though,for example was it offered only in one Language ?.
I for example would not respond to a Spanish survey as I don’t speak the language,are there certain parts of the world where users are less likely to be interested in the absolutely latest nav information,are some parts of the world less likely to be able to afford such optional software and consequently will have little interest in completing a survey by a company they may never use.

I think the US probably did have the majority of users in the past models of flightsim ,I am not so sure now with the arrival of xbox and world photo scenery.

MSFS will have the definitive answer👍

If you read the survey you will see it was taken after MSFS arrived on XBOX and that the majority of respondents to the survey, were actually XBOX simmers (54.6%).

Fair cop, I will need to see MSFS figures only to be able to reach a conclusion as they have the definitive answer👍

Those numbers were in there as well (just shy of 80% of respondents were MSFS simmers). And since MSFS is the only sim on XBOX you can be sure 100% of those were MSFS :slight_smile:

I’m quite surprised that we(Canada) are the 4th biggest player base with our ‘‘small’’ population

*OFC its not the full official numbers, but still *

The funny thing is I don’t think that the UK should have an update yet ( I live in the UK) ,I think there are places in the world that need an update ahead of me regardless of the size of their userbase,I think some countries are being ignored somewhat based on userbase( and admittedly some data shortcomings),this is a World simulator…I personally fly in all parts of the world ,I realise many ( not all…,ok😉) users in the US only ever fly closer to home,so are very pleased with the latest update,fair enough,but user numbers in a specific area should not necessarily always take precedence over the bigger picture.

3 Likes

I live in Canada, so we both don’t have one yet :wink:

Based on the size of the Territory and the amazing scenery ,that would seem a shame.

2 Likes

You make a valid point. I’m a recent British ex-pat living in the US now. 90% of my flying is US based centralized at a hub close to where I live. Being a British ex-pat you would think I would fly more than I do in the UK, but there is so much to see over here (in the US) I just don’t bother. If I did fly from the UK, then it would more than likely just be a hub to fly to other places.
NOTE: I’m a bit of a role player while simming, so its hard for me to visit anywhere in MSFS without flying to it from my own personal hub, or coming up with a plan to make it plausible lol

I think a survey conducted by Navigraph is already skewed towards an audience with an awareness of Navigraph. I’m sure there are tons of casual flight simmers who never really venture beyond MSFS itself and don’t even know what Navigraph is. I’d be curious what the differences are between Navigraph’s survey sample and MSFS audience as a whole, though only MS would have those demographics and I’m not sure we’ll ever really find out.

2 Likes

Navigraph simply organizes it. They have many partners who distribute the survey to their contact base.

1 Like