MSFS Freezes on Menu screen

No add ons in community folder…just spent 2 hours cleaning up PC and getting rid of unnecessary programs or files. BOOTS IN LESS THAN 10 SEC.

Not in developer mode that I know of.

Freezing MSFS 2020
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Run the game, step away for 30 minutes,…freeze encountered and no operation of the PC. Sound is stuck at a specific note
PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

I have a current version of Windows 10(64x), Intel Core i5-2500k@3.30GHz - 5.9GHZ,
32 GB vengeance ram(upgraded from 16)(usually only uses 13 or 14 max when playing, definitely not that much on the menu)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 2070 Super with 8GB DDR6
Booting and running from a samsung 500Gb SSD
Have a 2 tb Seagate HDD for back up storage.

`Build Version #

Microsoft store version deluxe

Not submitted to Zendesk yet

Trying the Bluetooth fix first by using a wired mouse.

Posted as of 05 June 21

Will return to revise as needed if find a solution.

Has also happened in flight too

5.9 GHZ?

May be overheating.

5.9 would be overclocked I think.

Photo of flight just now, wired mouse, Bluetooth off, Microsoft Bluetooth USB connected for access to menu and settings.

Flight to Prince George from Boundary Bay
Caravan
VOR to VOR
Just passing CYWL MSFS 2020 Freeze for at least 5:30, then I powered off.

I’m well within operating limitations of the program. Operation varies between Medium to Ultra settings, ultra for the clouds and icing, High for the Terrain, Medium for other settings.

EVGA GeForce 2070 with 8 GB DDR6
32GB Vengence RAM
I have not overclocked my processor…sigh…I’ll go pick up a wired Keyboard too but my system bluetooth was off so the keyboard I had set up should just Identify as a USB peripheral.

Photos attached.

Follow up post as of 05 June 21

This has me scratching my head.

No idea what it could be.
Bad memory?
Bad CPU?
Bad motherboard?

I’m going to try a processor upgrade to an i7 3770 eventually, pretty cheap on Amazon.

I’ll also be taking the Bluetooth completely out of the equation with a wired Razer keyboard, I don’t understand how a Bluetooth USB could do anything but might as well try.

For now I’ll decompile, Defrag and scan for bad sectors.

I’m also going to make sure my virtual memory is set up properly.

Not sure why it freezes like this. I’ve heard it could be bluetooth or an overheating processor, so I’m going to take it a step at a time.

1 Like

this card this have per factory a boost clock of 1935 Mhz :wink: ?

Overclocking is one of a major reason for crashs, freezes , etc… ( same for CPU )

I have not over clocked it.

“Standard Boozt Clock for the 2070 Super XC Ultra is 1800”
… so maybe this is indicative of heavy usage. It should be able to handle the game right?

Funny enough, I considered it but never wanted to max the card out for fear of this very thing.

may be… I have to re-check what this value exactly tell us :slight_smile:

In menu there is 100% load ( issue here ) , thus yes… the reason for the crash can be because the system run the whole time in full load and your system run into heating issues.

But, as allways it’s hard to say… there are older reports from other users which described same " leave main menu alone for a while and MSFS crashs and/or PC rebooted". But not remember at some newer posts…

I think I figured it out.

Nvidia has an application that lets you change settings on the GPU.

It was not overclocked. On the flip side it seems the settings didnt allow enough cooling from the fans and allowed too much temperature variation on the GPU.

So the GPU would get to 70-80% but have not enough cooling due to fan speed. Temps would cause a freeze I believe. I turned up the wattage to the GPU and fans, also increased speeds while turning the max gpu temp down and limited the gpu to 75%, though I think if I set the temps lower and fans higher I could stay at 100%.

MSFS2020 runs well now on high to ultra settings with no freezing yet. Will continue to log 1.5 hour flights to confirm. Will not claim solution until after 10 more flights, averaging 1 a day.

My CPU is still in the 60-80% range but it works well in game so thats ok. Possible CPU cooler upgrade with new CPU.

I am reviewing gains I would make by upgrading my CPU

I have an Intel Core i5-2500k@3.30GHz - 5.9GHZ in a z77-d3h Gigabyte motherboard.

seems I would need to upgrade to the i7 3770K not the i7 3770… to get a better gain on that upgrade. (Highest CPU supported by the Motherboard) Interesting but will need to review prior to upgrade.

Did not and is not overclocked, increased fan speed, limited loads on GPU and decreased temp limitations on GPU. Works well. Flight tests have smoothed out since GPU settings adjustment on the Nvidia app.

I am going to try the menu test for 30 mins and then will come back to it today after work.

1 Like

Hey :blush: how did you accomplish this? I’ve been fighting this for a while now

I have also encountered this problem but have not found a fix yet. I have update 11 and my computer is well within specified limits and the game will still lock up weather in main menu or in game