MSFS GOTY Edition,review

Funnily, I was just doing some testing with the Porter. I’ve been working on it for a few days trying to understand whether the Beta is simulated correctly.

It’s really difficult to be sure without having piloted the real aircraft, but at least I can say that if you pull the throttle back to idle and pitch down 15 degrees, it will not overspeed even at -3,500 meters per second (barely) without flaps.

With flaps, it will stay planted under 85 knots (so it won’t overspeed the flaps) with a descent rate of over 2,500.

While I’ll wait for someone with actual experience on the type to make conclusions, it seems to me that Beta is simulated, albeit perhaps the braking effect of the propeller is slightly weak compared with what I’ve heard it can do. Again, take it with a big grain of salt until someone who knows better tries it.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m having a hard time determining what exactly is new with the weather system based on this review.

Having METAR weather blended with Meteoblue was something we already had isn’t it? Having sudden transitions between METAR areas and general Meteoblue areas is something we were already experiencing I thought. I know I’ve always experienced it, especially with the wind and pressure. And low level fog is something I’ve seen plenty of times.

Can someone explain what features in the new weather system are things we haven’t had before? The only new features I can tell is more frequent weather loads and ability to look up the METAR itself.

I’ve been holding off on the Milviz PC6 to see what this one is like so it will certainly be interesting to see how it’s rated by comparison!

If my memory serves me correctly they spoke about this in more detail during this Q&A - Live Dev Q&A - October 20, 2021 - Community / News and Announcements - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

The best the sim could do was draw clouds on the ground, which might have coincided with reported low visibility conditions mainly by chance. METAR reported visibility wasn’t implemented (or forecast model visibility for that matter), but apparently is now allowing for haze, mist, and fog without a cloud layer.

Flying into LAX, this scene for example:

…wasn’t possible until SU7 according to the posts above and dev discussions.

5 Likes

I can agree with this. I think many folks have some very legitimate complaints with certain aspects of the sim, but despite its issues, I still think MSFS is a great value if you spend time actually using it.

With just shy of 1000 hours of flight time, I calculate the cost of the sim, my payware addons, and the hardware and external tools I’ve purchaed, and it’s basically cost me about $2 per hour for the time I’ve spent in it so far. And that hourly cost decreases as I spend more time flying.

I don’t know, but anything that can keep me this entertained for that little money is excellent value to me.

6 Likes

I agree, and this is what I was getting at, not trying to disparage the biggest fans of the game.

It was marketed to be this extraordinary thing and fell short of the hype in several ways. Which is the norm of course. And it is extraordinary value for the quality, and that quality is great when compared to the only other two options: Burger King and Arbys :nauseated_face: (XPlane is Arbys in case you’re wondering)

But hold up a second, I ordered a double cheeseburger, and I got this other sandwich instead. But some people are saying I should be happy with what I got because the meal only cost $5 and they threw in a happy meal toy. Yeah, I want the thing I paid for even if it is mass produced to be as cheap as possible. That’s not an excuse for botching the order.

5 Likes

I don’t know why this is such a bother that you’d have to bring up protecting your mental health lol. Some of you guys are way too emotional. I mean if msfs doesn’t have anything to offer you, there is xp, fsx and p3d. I find it hard to believe that you can’t use one of the 3 sims in the way that you want, ie no toy planes, perfect weather and ai traffic, perfect atc

2 Likes

Thank you @Abriael for this great review and also the interview with Jorge. I am curious if you have noticed any additional performance improvement with SU7?

In your interview with Jorge, he mentions the AN2 as an upcoming plane for the sim so I’m wondering if the next World Update will be corresponding Russia. I guess we’ll all know in a couple of hours!

Thanks

:grin: This is your opinion man… Don’t have the will or the time to explain all of this to you since your opinion is obviously made :slight_smile:
I love people like you who try to lecture me without knowing anything about my life and experience in flight simulation… But no hard feelings man, fly safe and have fun in any sim you like :wink: :pray:

By the way “blood pressure and mental health” was a little bit of sarcasm… Sorry I forgot to put tons of smileys before and after to warn you :wink:

3 Likes

Agreed. Despite the fact I still love MSFS, I can’t help at times feel like I’ve been sold a bill of goods that haven’t yet been delivered. I have no doubt it will get to what was advertised at some point, but so far it’s fallen short of what was advertised. Although to its credit, it’s moving in the right direction, despite some occasional steps backwards.

In any case, I’m still enjoying it. And I still recognize the achievement that MSFS is, breaking new ground with technologies that have never been used in this manner before. But I also understand the frustration many folks have. And I share some of those as well, despite my enjoyment of what we got.

1 Like

There are normal models as well, not only racing versions?
That’s great news!

Did they fix the Bushtrips perchance?

performance for me was pretty much identical to SU6.

Thank you for the review @Abriael. :slight_smile:

I sometimes wonder about this.

Has it really? Or have people somewhat latched onto vague ideas and allusions from various interviews and decided that this is what was “advertised”
After all I’ve read through and watched a fair few of interviews and Q&A’s with the various players in the Dev process and in many ways these seem to feature a lot more in the way of vague ideas of where they would like to go rather than concrete plans of where they are going and how they are getting there (and when)

To quote an old song that proves true of many things…

“I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest”

2 Likes

It’s moving towards what was advertised. And I have no doubt it will get there. But based on what was promised in the promo material before launch and what was delivered, it came up short in many areas - particularly weather, which has been very problematic. It’s looking like with SU7 (based on early reviews) that weather will finally be in a state where it matches what was advertised.

Look at all the promo videos that showed 4K Ultra at uber frame rates, incredible water masks, etc. None of that was possible or even in the sim until the last few updates.

That said, there are a lot of folks that have unrealistic expectations - like the soon-to-be-terribly-disappointed crew who are still convinced that DX12 in SU7 is going to bring with it immediate huge performance gains.

2 Likes

would love to see some screen related to this in SU7

Perhaps this isn’t important to many, but as a weather geek, there were a number of specifically advertised features that I was most looking forward to: Weather effects and visibility based on humidity, convective updrafts and thermals, realistic surface wind conditions and wind reporting, realistic handling of thunderstorms, support for varied cloud types. This was all explicitly covered in the Weather Feature Discovery video prior to launch, and all of these features are either missing, incomplete, or badly bugged.

I’m sure other folks will pull out examples from other aspects of the game from the aerodynamics, to the scenery, to virtual reality.

I agree with Crunch and Abriael that the sim is making significant strides forward, but I think folks can also forget how rough this simulator was in places as it has changed over the past year, features added, and game breaking bugs quietly removed.

I get a ton of enjoyment out of the sim, but there were sections so incomplete I simply didn’t bother to play them, instead focusing on the areas that did work well. Seaplane handling at launch for example. There were no water landing effects, spray or wake, and with the missing water masks, flying around in the Caribbean hopping from island to island almost felt lifeless.

3 Likes

Where exactly am I lecturing you? I just said if you’re so bothered to the point of bringing up mental health (which is a serious problem so I don’t see that as sarcasm) you should just step away from msfs and fly another sim. I work in the Healthcare and the last thing I’d like to see is someone losing their mental health over a piece of software /game

1 Like

There are also a lot of folks that are relatively “recent arrivals” to the sim as well that rather aggressively jump to its defense without the context of the initial state of affairs in the months after launch.

It’s as if someone just started playing No Man’s Sky for the first time today and using its current state to argue that people who complained about the dismal state of affairs at launch time were wrong…

2 Likes