MSFS hangs on flight exit New Edit: It's was G3000 mod, now it's something else!

I’ve been freezing on exiting flights for a little while now. Takes a while, but the blue line moves all the way to the right. Music keeps playing, Task Manager doesn’t show it’s not responding, but one CPU core and the GPU are pegged. So first thing, of course, I empty my Community folder. Sure enough flights exit rather quickly. So I methodically start adding back my add ons in order of age, older ones I know haven’t changed in ages I put back first, etc. But just as I think I’ve narrowed it down to a few add ons, I put back some more and it hangs on exit again. Seems like it just gets slower and slower as I add add ons and then it reaches a threshold where is just takes so long to exit it may as well be frozen. I’ve left it going overnight and it still doesn’t exit. Yet, there was a few times when testing near the edge of “too many add ons” where I left it to go do something else for 20 or 40 minutes and it would finally exit. So, is there a number of add ons beyond which MSFS just can’t deal with them all when exiting a flight? And the add ons can be entirely unrelated to the area I’m flying in or which aircraft I’ve been flying. And why in the world does it take any time at all to exit a flight. WHAT THE HECK IS IT DOING in the minutes we wait while exiting a flight to the main menu??? What needs to be calculated, what needs to be stored on disk??? WHY IS EXITING A FLIGHT NOT INSTANT WHETHER I HAVE NO ADD ONS OR 1000!!!

Sometimes this software bewilders me. It’s magical when it’s all working great, a miracle for a person whose been simming since the 1980s, but man, when it wants to get screwy it does strange and infuriating things!!!

I have the Steam version. I just downloaded my entire Official directory fresh that didn’t change anything.

The ones you added back last were likely the culprits in that case.

Go back through your addons one by one. Or if you have many, cut them in half, and keep halving until you find what works, and what doesn’t.

I had the sam issue, it is related to Add-Ons.
Check version of WASM.
e.g. Landing inspector is strange.
My ‘solution’: I move al ‘suspect’ add-ons to a dedicated directory. When standard S/W works I move one and one Add-On back to custom dir. So you find out suspect S/W. I do the same also when loading time gets odd.
FSUIPC and Mobiflight WASM work fine at the moment

I had this issue when using the G3000 mod. Removed it from the Community folder. Now the program exits correctly. Could be an add-on in your community folder.

I had similar with the WT G3000, didn’t delete the mod itself but did delete the road data addition and that seems to have sorted the issue.

1 Like

I tried just deleting the road data only, but that didn’t fix the issue in my case. Just scrapped the whole mod.

@Dylanear , so glad you posted this as I was just about to search for the same issue. I’ve been experiencing this quite often but not always. This is one of the reasons I haven’t gone crazy adding things to my Community folder - I only have 13 items in there now which really consists of a few aircraft.

However, one of them has the WT G3000. I flew this in the TBM last night and experienced the “no quit to desktop” issue. I will test this with a non G3000 aircraft to see if this solves the problem as I know there have been flights that close just fine. I’ve had to force quit MSFS via Task Manager which makes me cringe that something may sooner or later become corrupted if I keep doing this.

@ScottATP , Wonder if there’s a possibility the connection to Navigraph may be causing this? I notice how you have to “refresh” the data in the display sometimes to get charts to show up. Are you using Navigraph charts?

Did you guys read the notes on the G3000 Road data mod? It specifically addresses this issue

1 Like

Yes. I’m using Navigraph. The charts have been showing up fine.

1 Like

No I didn’t. I’ll take a look. Thanks.

Just saw this…

Known Issues

• MSFS will take an increased amount of time to fully shut down (up to several minutes) when closing the game after starting a flight that uses the road data in this package. The game window will still close promptly, but the game process will run in the background and game audio can be heard. The process is not frozen and will eventually shut down on its own, however if you wish to speed up the process, you can manually end-task or end-process MSFS through Task Manager.

But I waited over 10 minutes. It didn’t shutdown. So I gave up.

Yes, showing up fine for me as well, just wondering if there is some connection behind the scenes which refuses to close, keeping the simulator “hanging”?

Well. Most of my problems have been using the Longitude. I just tried using the mod with the TBM, and it was stable. Also, I was able to exit FS2020 this time with no issues. Hmmm.

Interesting indeed. I couldn’t end my flight last night in the TBM but just loaded up my Carbon mod and was able to exit no issues.

I am experiencing this issue. The PC shuts down reliably after about four or five minutes. I like the road data so I am okay with the delayed exit.\

Thanks for all the responses. Good data points! I’ll look at the G3000 and Nav data, I do have that in there.

To be clear, I do not have any trouble exiting the sim from the main screen, IF I get back there. The problem is exiting a flight. I get the Cessna over the mountain screen with the blue progress bar at the bottom. The bar will reach the far right end after a bit, maybe 4 minutes? But then it just hangs there for at least hours, if not forever.

1 Like

OK, all add ons are back in the Community folder besides the two G3000 files and I just exited a flight rather quickly. I guess I got sloppy with keeping track of which files were being put back before each test!

Is there any mention of addressing this hanging issue?

“* MSFS will take an increased amount of time to fully shut down (up to several minutes) when closing the game after starting a flight that uses the road data in this package. The game window will still close promptly, but the game process will run in the background and game audio can be heard. The process is not frozen and will eventually shut down on its own, however if you wish to speed up the process, you can manually end-task or end-process MSFS through Task Manager.”

That note refers to exiting the game and says it’s after a flight that uses the road data. I haven’t used the G3000 since long before this problem started. I did grab the latest G3000, G1000 and GX files a week or so ago just to know I had the latest, this must have started at that point? My problem is exiting a flight to the main menu. And it doesn’t matter what I fly or whether it’s using any of the Garmin mods or not. I haven’t tried removing just the road data, I have only removed both. But that solves this whole thing as best I can tell. There’s something broken in the G3000 files and it’s affecting the sim even when not being used. This didn’t used to happen with older G3000 versions. Maybe it was slowing things before, but it never hang up entirely. This is night and day. G3000 in place, I never exit to the main menu, I stay on the exiting flight screen forever or long enough it may as well be forever. WHY are ANY CPU or GPU resources being used just by those add ons being in my folder when the flights getting hung up didn’t use the G3000 or any Garmin mod???

I suppose this thread should now be moved to the third party section???

Looks like there’s a newer version than the week or 10 day old version I had? I’ll download the latest to try and report back.

2 Likes

Unless my methodology is flawed, the latest version as of a few days ago was still giving this snag. G3X and G1000 was fine. But G3000 caused the hang on flight exit with or without the road data.

WELL IT’S BACK!!! And it’s not the G3000 this time because I haven’t put that back. I’m not sure if this is related to the last Sim Update and how it interacts with add ons, or if it’s related to the fact that I’m now on a new CPU, motherboard, SSD and a fresh install of the latest Win 10 available? I don’t think anything changed in my Community directory? So, perhaps something in there besides the G3000 wasn’t quite kosher, but wasn’t a problem before for some odd reason??! I did try removing the other Wortking Title mods, G1000, GX, that didn’t solve the problem. So mysterious. So infuriating.

I guess most of my Saturday will be spent adding bits of my Community folder back in and seeing when it starts hanging again. A VERY tedious process. And this time I think I’ll have to try using the Add On Linker.

Anyone else find anything beside the G3000 that was causing hanging or otherwise wildly unreasonably long exits from flights?