MSFS has become unplayable

To add a datapoint: Updated yesterday from Win 10 to Win 11 and no noticeable performance difference.

i7 8700 - 3080

The hardware dependency was that Windows 11 requires TPM 2.0 to be officially supported. Essentially Ryzen 2000 and Intel 8th Gen upwards will be supported out the box since those chips have the fTPM built into them. Other than that, it should run fine if Windows 10 did. Unless youā€™re using some very old hardware and an unforseen issue pops up. But modern PC should be OK.

1 Like

Iā€™d check your power management settings in Windows and check if the profile doesnā€™t Limit CPU or GPU in power. I had this issue too, turned out to be some power management feature.
Updating chipset drivers might also help.

1 Like

They need to make some sort of standardized box that could run this without the need for compatibility and optimization hurdles. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Yeah. Like a Microsoft PlayStation.

3 Likes

Even so, there are still workarounds that you can do. I actually installed Win 11 on my 10-year old Intel 3rd Gen PC. As expected, it shows me the warning that the hardware is incompatible upon clean installation, But I bypassed that check and got it installed.

After that, Win 11 runs just as fine as my more recent PC, and MSFS runs just as well too.

I installed Windows 11 on my PC (i9-10850k, 32 gig, RTX 3070) for a reason unrelated to MSFS and have noticed no difference in performance. I also had the ā€˜Limited by Main Threadā€™ problem, but after reading some recent threads on how to better balance the CPU - GPU tasks, Iā€™m running fine now.

Same. Upgraded my CPU to an i7 12700 KF (which requires Windows 11). Combined with my GTX 1080TI, things run as smoothly as butter on Ultra. Smooth, stable. Not unplayable. Topic titles such as this one should have the additional words, ā€œfor meā€ on the end of them.

3 Likes

Dittoā€¦ Same here!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.