MSFS is crying out for the de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver

MSFS is at the moment a joy for GA flying, and more so for Bush flying (My own opinion) with the level of detail in the ground mesh of the UK, and I know in places that the 20m ground mesh is extremely detailed because where I live on Baildon Moor UK the detail is amazing with just a little of imagination needed, a good honest decent Bush plane would be for me an ultimate experience. I’m a big fan of the BN Islander but the Beaver in both land and water configuration would be fantastic, no over complicated systems would mean higher settings could be achieved, an iconic plane with great STOL abilities. We all have our Bush AC favourites!

11 Likes

My understanding is that MilViz is currently working on a Beaver for MSFS - I have no idea what stage it’s at though.

2 Likes

Really? Smashing! :grinning: Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Actually I’m a fan of the ‘Amphibians’ too, it’s a shame though that MSFS as inherited the hard ‘bump’ where water meets land, a smooth transition would have been great when taxiing out of water onto a beach, I have the slew toggle linked to one of my yoke buttons so I can slew onto land when using the Icon A5.

Not sure how to link to another post but if you look here (DHC 2 Beaver Freeware) you may find in interesting.

Looks like I have discovered how to :relaxed:

2 Likes

Beavers, Otters, Quest Kodiak… So many of them are badly needed

1 Like

Gosh, I never saw this post! That’s great development news, look forward to seeing the final result!

Actually I miss the Carenado C185F SKYWAGON BUSH, it wasn’t brilliant, but you could fly it by the numbers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey!
I had to put the Beaver on the side, to develop another aircraft, payware. Its nearly done, so, im going to get back to work on the Beaver, and its a tottaly different project now, get ready for the awesome sauce! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How are the water physics in MSFS?

Is this finally going to be a great sim for seaplanes?

Unfortunately another throwback from FSX, paper boats on water, but it maybe something that could be worked on further down the line when other issues have settled maybe?

I’m not sure I’d even go so far as saying FSX level yet. At least in FSX I remember a few floats that at least somewhat felt like you could got them on step. I’ve yet to get that in the (few) floats available for MSFS, where instead of the step you either get launched directly into the air or bounce a few times before getting airborne. There’s currently no spray effects either, so it doesn’t even look neat. I’m sure the sim will get there eventually, but at the moment it’s pretty minimalistic for seaplanes.

100% agree on the C185, floats or otherwise. Great little plane she was. The available Bush League cub mod is great (with a float version expected for general release soon, I believe) but I prefer the simplicity of the steam guages in the C185. A Beaver would be fantastic as well.

2 Likes

As am I :sob:

(Crying for a Beaver. Please, please, please)

2 Likes

They’ve specifically said that water behavior will be coming. As well as water effects. They are not done yet.

3 Likes

Yep, I’m sure they’ll get it there, I have no doubt.

1 Like

This is one area that was a real headache for the third-party devs, I remember Aerosoft when developing the Catalina had to ‘trick’ the FSX config file to try and get the inertia correct as much as possible on the Catalina by tricking FSX that it had flaps (when in actual fact aircraft didn’t have any etc) just to try and get the Catalina to perform on water as it should.

1 Like

There was a lot that 3rd-party devs needed to do to “trick” FSX into simulating what the devs were attempting, lol. Of course, in later projects a lot of developers managed to get a good chunk of their complex code out of FSX itself, but the Cat largely predated that phase, if my memory serves me. I never flew the PBY much, maybe 40 hours total, but I (vaguely) recall the development discussions about the imaginary flaps. And constantly looking down with TrackIR for the throttles, forgetting that they hung from the upper panel.

1 Like

Hey there,
There is a Wishlist topic for the floatplane version that you might want to vote for:

2 Likes

We do - took this one on a trip to Alaska - would love to recreate the flight in MSFS in the same aircraft.

2 Likes

…or recreate the flight from Lake Union to Friday Harbour in the San Juan Islands.

3 Likes