MSFS l SU10 l Unstable or hardware problem?

Hello pilot,

First of all I would like to apologize in advance for my bad English, I hope you will understand my problem.

A few weeks ago I decided to upgrade my PC. I went from a 1080p monitor to a 1440p monitor, and from a 1070Ti graphics card that was starting to get seriously tired to an RTX3080Ti.

Today my specs are:

• Msi Z390 Gaming Edge
  • I7-9700K
  • RTX3080Ti
  • 32GB RAM 3600Mhz
  • 2 M2 Nvme SSD’s (one for the system and one for MSFS)
    and a 750W power supply.

I have gained enormously in performance on almost all the games I use, I can run in Ultra without any problem. I don’t have any lag, stuttering or even crashing.

However, I had a little doubt and this doubt today and increasingly strong towards MSFS, I wondered if my GPU was not too big for my CPU, I read on many forums that the 'i7-9700k and the RTX3080Ti just go well together.

But I know that on MSFS there is a very high bottleneck and that even with NASA PC’s…

Since I have this specification I have a lot of stutter that I had not experienced on the 1070Ti. I also read that the SU10 update had stability issues and for some people the performance dropped drastically.

To be sure that the problem comes from me or from the SU10 update, I made a short video of a few minutes on KLAX with the PMDG737, with the developer’s tool. You’ll see my graphics settings at 2:37 of the video. Link : MSFS l SU10 l I9-9700K - RTX3080Ti (test) - YouTube

In my graphic settings you will see that I activated the TAA with a scale of 150% rather than the DLSS, this choice is due to the fact that on DLSS the gauges are blurred. And I don’t gain much more with DLSS enabled.

I obviously plan to upgrade my CPU in the future and maybe switch to AMD, but it’s not in the immediate future.

I have Windows 10 up to date (Version 21H2), my graphics drivers are up to date and everything related to the hardware too.

Thank you in advance for your help/advice.

Your CPU is definitly the bootleneck… try to lower CPU intensive options that you can reach a “GPU” Limited scenario @the ground.

The 9700k is a great CPU and you can easy run most of the games on ultra because you’re not limited by your CPU sothat your 3080ti can fully power up, but things are different for the MSFS 2020…
I can highly recommend not to go over 100 für TLOD, Clouds on High instead of Ultra same for the texture resolution. Also the render scale seems a bit too much I would not go over 130.
Try DX12 because it has better Multicore Usage and you may can reach a GPU Limit. If nothing helps you have only 2 options left:

1. wait for better optimization from Asobo
  2. go and buy a better CPU (AMD 5800x3d / 12900K)

With my system I get 45-55 FPS on the ground on dx12 without any stutters :smiley:

12900K @5.1 GHZ
TUF 3080 10GB
32 GB DDR5 5200 MHZ
FS installed on an M2SSD & Community folder on a seccond M2SSD

Can you take a screenshot of your ingame settings?

kind regards

Hello Kaese5128

Thank you for your quick reply. So you confirm my doubts. It’s boring but I’ll follow your recommendations and see later.

The worst FPS drop I have is with the A320 from SimFenix, but I understand that it is very CPU intensive.

I would wait to see the optimization with Asobo, but as I said above I plan to upgrade my CPU in the future but it won’t be before summer 2023.

For the CPU I don’t know yet what I will choose, I’m used to being at Intel.

Either an i9-12900K or one of the new AMDs like the 7900X

Here are my graphics settings, so I lowered the resolution scale to 130% :

Have you completely reconfigured all of your graphics settings? Not updating your graphics settings might be causing the stuttering.

Hello PacificSet90456,

As I also replaced my SSDs, I had done a complete reinstallation of Windows 10, so I updated all my graphics settings as well.

Thats a save way to bring any system to its knees. Even the TAA of 130 I see now are more than ambitious. I have 11900k/3090 and stay on TAA 100. I fear you expect to much from your hardware.

Stabilty related you should think about an PSU upgrade. RTX 30xx is famous for its power spikes and for your setup I would recommend at least 1000 watt. Stepping up from 850w to 1300w brings me more stabilty than hours of tweaking ingame settings.

Hello,

I come back to the news after 3 weeks.

I finally ordered the Ryzen 7 5800x3D, with an “Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (Wi-fi)” motherboard, I took the opportunity to change the power supply and take a 1000W, certified platinum.

I should have it all next week.

This is my first time in over 10 years at AMD. I hope not to have a bad experience with this processor but from what I have seen it remains very good, especially on MSFS. On other games I’ve seen that it was between a 12th and 13th generation processor from Intel.

I’ll report back once the tests are done.