MSFS no longer reacts after using ALT+TAB to change the window

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Each time I ALT+TAB out of the sim to another window for some time, I cannot ALT+TAB back into the sim. Microsoft Flight Simulator.exe is still running in the background but doesn’t react anymore. Neither the Task Manager, nor ALT+TAB or clicking the Window in the Task bar works. Also closing the MSFS Windows is only possible via “End Task” in the Task Manager

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Simply use ALT+TAB to exit the Flight Simulator Window and try to reopen the Window after a while.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Windows 10 22H1, AMD 5950X, RTX 3070, 64 GB Ram

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Are you using DX12?

occurs with DX11 and DX12

Are you using DLSS?

Occurs with DLSS and TAA

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I just tested it and it works well on my case under Windows 11.

Cheers

2 Likes

It is a Windows 10/11 function.

What is a Windows 10/11 function?

Alt-Tab - Wikipedia).

Alt+Tab ↹ is the common name for a keyboard shortcut that has been in Microsoft Windows since Windows 2.0 (1987). This shortcut switches between application-level windows without using the mouse; hence it was named Task Switcher (Flip in Windows Vista).

Thanks.
No need to explain that. That’s quite obvious but with MSFS, exactly this function doesn’t work anymore since SU10, and I don’t think that Windows is at fault.

My problem is that MSFS freezes when I try to switch back to the MSFS Task in any way, and I have to close it manually via the Task Manager.
That means I cannot use any external apps or paint textures anymore without having to kill the frozen MSFS task and restart MSFS constantly.

2 Likes

Me on Xbox Series X after 3 hours of flight: long freezing, ground surfaces disappearance and CTD with sound effects going regularly in background

I just started getting this today. Alt-Tab to e.g. Edge or Chrome and eventually MSFS locks up i.e. 100% unresponsive. I’ve had it on all flights today after a random time. Last time about 2hrs into the flight. MSFS is just “frozen” but strangely the audio continues.

3 Likes

I’ve been experiencing the same issue for quite some time, and I do have a workaround …

CTL-ALT-DEL and then cancel (go back to Windows). For some reason that “releases” whatever is blocking MSFS.

I wish I knew what was causing this, but at least there’s a workaround (hopefully it works for you as well)

1 Like

In the same boat now :roll_eyes:
Thanks for the hint with ALT+TAB*DEL, but this works just until I leave the MSFS window.

I hate it if things start to happen out of sudden. :rage:

Made some flights today, changed some settings in MSFS (as I do it often during the last 2 years) and then, on the next start of MSFS this freezing as exactly described by @CptPiett8113 occurs here.

It seems more present if I Alt+Tab between MSFS and Edge browser. But I use that browser also since ever …

Sometimes (too often actually) weird unexpected stuff happens with the sim. I had the freeze upon alt-tab issue for a while, made me use my ipad instead of the pc while simming. Then it disappeared all of a sudden. Go figure.

Ok, I deleted the UserCfg.opt
(AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache)
(backed up before)

Some settings have to be set new, most seems to copied back from the cloud.

Now i have set the same settings as before and it seems to be gone now.
have had it for hours now and tried different things. But the deletion of the UserCfg.opt finally did the trick it seems. Or we have also an unfortune coincidence here :upside_down_face:

■■■■■■, was just a coincidence … :rage:

But it seems as it is tied to Edge Browser maybe … All other programs I ALT+TAB work.

Have now diabled the EDGE hardware acceleration and it works … but who knows what the gods of coincidence will say about :upside_down_face:

EDIT:
It is indeed the hardware acceleration in EDGE.
Enabled it and MSFS freezes during load again.

Can anyone else confirm?

I am gonna try this now.
I swear to god if this works…

This issue has been keeping me away from the game for a couple of months. Lliterally.
Thought i’d go back again today because i missed it. I actually totally forgot about the issue. Then it happens… on final to Nice airport while on the IVAO network. Freezing when i alt+tab. I instantly remembered why i stopped playing those few months ago.

If this is the solution, freaking disabling hardware acceleration on a browser, that’s just so dumb hahah.

This appears to have solved the issue. Very strange issue. Disable hardware acceleration

Wow! you saved my game play! Thanks a lot!!!