MSFS on a 5.25" Floppy! This sim has come so far, it's almost enough to boggle the mind

For those of us old enough to have used one of these in the past, we truly understand just what an amazing product the current version is.

Kev

44 Likes

That’s how i got my first copy in the late 80s on my first PC…we would have found it hard to comprehend the version today. I often wonder whether some original code still sits under the hood.

1 Like

Very interesting that using a mouse requires double the RAM…

1 Like

This started it for me on my Apple //e

10 Likes

The nostalgia is real right now. Tape drive though, no thanks.

1 Like

The BGL scenery format goes back to at least FS5 circa 1993, which I’m sure also shipped on floppies, and Flight Simulator still uses that format today in some form. I wonder if folks can find an older reference.

1 Like

They were 8 inch floppy disks in my days.
With 80kb capacity.
Just worked out it would take about 7 years of continuous 24 hour per day loading to install MSFS to my current setup from the 1.825 million discs required.
So don’t complain about slow downloads :wink:

9 Likes

I had a pirated copy of the Atari version as a kid. As an adult collector, I stumbled into a complete-in-box copy about 15 years ago. And the disk still boots!

23 Likes

I was in the Air Force and the entire barracks would come to my room to play it on a Tandy 1000.

11 Likes

Here here to 8" floppies and Series1’s!! :rofl: :rofl: Have times changed!

Ouch… I realized that I’m old… lol

Btw. The label has wrong memory spec for IBM PC. It should have been 640KB. :wink:

1 Like

Don’t know if you guys remember the tab sticker on the right hand side that made the discs re-writable. If the disc came without the notch you could cut one with a pair of scissors. There’s one in the first pic.

For reference my first ever pc was a 386sx25mhz. I think 2mb ram and a 40mb hard drive. I got it as a twelve year old for Xmas. I remember my parents coming home one day not long after and were mortified, because I’d taken it apart to “clean it” learned so much from PCs as a teen doing this sort of thing. Then got into making cheats for games by editing the hex code in saves using Xtree Gold. Great fun.

3 Likes

It’s worse than that. This is not the original, this is Microsoft’s first version. The original grandparent is actually this FS1 Flight Simulator - Wikipedia which was on tape for the Apple ][ and TRS80 though the really well known one is FS2 which was much closer to MSFS given the technology of 1983.

1 Like

Ah, I remember Quikmenu for DOS :slight_smile: Had FS on both 5.25" and 3.5"

1 Like

My first introduction to computers was on a college course I was doing on day release from work.
There were no PC’s in those days.

The college had one teletype terminal that was linked to an offsite mainframe (DEC PDP 11 if I remember correctly).
You had about 15 mins to type in your program (something simple like adding two numbers and dividing them).
You got the paper punch tape with your saved program to take home.
Your program was run in a batch sometime during the next week. You got your result at your next weeks day at college.
If it was wrong you had to find your error and repeat the process and wait another week. I think you had to submit at least 3 successful programs as part of your years course.

In my next job I was a photographic technician and we had Kodak Eastman high speed printing machines.
The main memory in those machines was magnetic core memory (3 wires in a grid with a magnetic ring at each node where the 3 wires crossed over) it was 8KB if I remember correctly.
You could open up the front cover and peer in to see all the rings wobbling back n forth :slight_smile:

If it crashed we had to reinstall the program from an optical tape reader which was like a giant reel to reel tape recorder. Had about 1/2 mile of tape which ran through very fast.
It was supposed to go from one reel to the next but we found it would often tangle up and snap so we just used to let is spool onto the floor, then some poor S*d had to carefully wind it back onto the reel by hand.

It was such an event the whole dept. used to gather round to watch it. Took about 20 mins to setup, another 10 to load it and 2 hours to wind the tape back, all for 8KB.
When the 8 inch floppy arrived with 80Kb we were all amazed.

4 Likes

80 kilobyte?!
Who would need such a tremendous storage space? This must be several millions pages of text!

Joke aside yes I remember floppy disks - these were some cool gaming times on the Amiga computers. YESS GAMER FOR LIFE! Even as a child and now with over 30 my taste for good games developed even further. It was a long development process from a simple gamer when a jumping Mario was enough, to a graphics gameplay and story connaisseur being in need of 150 to 200 Terabyte storage space for every game.

2 Likes

Oh wow! I had the Atari version too, that’s some intense nostalgia right there. :smiley:

It was a toss-up between measuring frames per second and seconds per frame… :wink:

2 Likes

That was mine as for the Commodore 64 I still have as well.

3 Likes

My first flight sim was on the zx spectrum produced by Psion in around 1982/83 if I recall correctly. Full colour too (well about 10 colours anyway).

2 Likes

That’s some real Apollo program computations right there. I love it. Thanks.

1 Like