MSFS Periodically Locks When Loading Flight

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

Periodically, when loading a flight in MSFS, the sim will lock when the “blue bar” reaches close to 50%. The spinner in the bottom right will become stuck, and the application is listed as “Not Responding” in the Windows task manager. I have left the application for more than two hours before, to see if it would start responding, but it never has. It must be killed through the Windows Task Manager and restarted.

After restarting, sometimes it will load, sometimes it will not.

I have emptied my Community Folder and still experience the problem. Again, periodically. I’d say 80% of the time, the flight loads without issue. About 20% of the time, it freezes. This happened under SU11 and has continued with SU12.

I cannot find any rhyme or reason as to when this will happen, or why it happens when it does. Sometimes, I’ll have to terminate MSFS 4-5 times before a flight will finally load successfully.

I am completely out of ideas. It is quite frustrating. I have submitted a ticket in ZenDesk, but thought I’d post here to see if anyone has experienced this / has a recommendation for resolution.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Will grab one the next time it happens.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Seemingly completely random. I cannot do anything to force it to happen.

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Intel i7-9700K CPU @3.60 GHz, 8 Cores, no overclocking / 32 GB RAM / GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
Happened when I was using an RTX 2070 SUPER prior to getting the 4070 Ti.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

None captured due to application freezing (not crashing)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU11 – Don’t recall specific build version #

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I face exactly the same problem.

This same problem has been haunting me for a long time. What I’ve managed to find out is that when I boot MSFS after rebooting the OS, this problem never occurs. In the discussions and in Microsoft’s tutorials, it says that the problem is with the “Games” service, which is somehow corrupted, and its function is restored after the OS restart. Conclusion: I always start MSFS after rebooting the OS and everything is OK.

Thanks for the feedback, Player.

I have noticed that the sim never freezes if I am in offline mode when loading a flight. I then switch to online mode once the flight is loaded.

While this does seem to be a workaround, it is a little annoying having to switch settings before and after loading every single flight.

I suspect the description of the problem is straight-forward enough, but still though I’d go ahead and include a screen shot of the frozen loading screen.

Soooo…ironically enough, when messing around this morning, for the first time ever, it froze when loading even in offline mode! So, scratch that as a workaround. :laughing:

I have found that if I choose a different aircraft than the one used on the previous flight, the game launches successfully, otherwise the launch is likely to freeze, as described above. This is annoying and a waste of time, but as long as I do this, it works every time. Good luck.

I have recently started using the Console in Developer Mode to see if I can find a clue to the problem, but once the launch freezes, the console freezes, too.

Same random issue, but I always use PMDG 737

I’ve related issues. If my peripherals (yoke/throttle/rudder) are plugged in it either freezes or takes 6+ minutes to load (but at least it loads sometimes). Same is true when exiting flight. Might be worth mentioning I only fly VR. Going offline sometimes works but not always. Never had this issue before SU12 but when I updated I forgot to unplug my peripherals and things got all messed up. But that’s on me and I’ve been searching far and wide for a solution. Having to exit every flight using “end task” is getting to me. I believe I have tried every suggestion except restoring to a vanilla state which I am dreading. Anyway, all that to say I share in your frustration and hope you find resolution. If I stumble on to anything I’ll certainly share. Good luck sir. Su12 has been a train wreck for some.

Yes. When I load a flight into the Keflavik airport (MK Studios from Marketplace), the issue is 100% reproducable. But it occurs too sometimes loading other flights.

this is not available.