MSFS Stuttering - Game Unplayable

Had no issues with this, even the day before, but MSFS has randomly started stuttering - during all areas of gameplay (flying, menus etc.). As you can see below, GPU usage and consequently FPS goes mad, up and down all the time. This makes the game pretty unplayable.

I’ve done some troublehshooting and have worked out that it seems to be my Xbox controller causing the issues. When I unplug it everything returns to normal, no stuttering. When I plug it back in, the game begins to stutter.

To fix this I’ve tried plugging it into all 4 spare USB ports - no results. I’ve also brought a new cable - no results again.

Is it worth buying a new controller for £50 or are there other things I could do to fix this?

No real ideas here, apart from my past controller problems with compatibilty with versions of USB, ie a controller working with USB2 but not 3 ( it might have been a mouse that was giving me greif)

1 Like

Try to do something else as well. I find that photogrammetry is a FPS killer, so I turn them off to have a smooth FPS.

I also did the solution provided here and it helped me get rid of stutters and enjoy a smoother FPS instead.

Last but not least, you might need to connect the Xbox controller directly to the PC USB 3.0 IO port directly at the back without going through a passive USB hub.

4 Likes

If you have another controller, I would try that.

1 Like

Disable fast startup, hibernation and sleep.

How to

Go to > sytsem settings > system > power & sleep > additional power settings

Click > choose what the power buttons do

Change settings that are currently unavailable

Uncheck > turn on fast startup.

Turn off PC.

Also disable hibernate

In windows search bar type CMD
Right click on CMD and select run as administrator
Copy the command below and paste into CMD (right click to paste into CMD)

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

press enter

Restart PC.

Disable sleep
Power options > choose what the power buttons do > change settings that are currently unavailable

Restart PC.

Make sure that your OS (windows), motherboard bios and mobo drivers are up to date.
Plug controller into your PC USB 3.0 port.

Also select ultimate performance powerplan and via device manager uncheck “allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.

How to

In windows search bar type CMD
right click on it and select run as administrator

Copy the command below and paste into CMD (right click to paste into CMD)

powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

Restart PC.

Go to windows settings > system > power & sleep > additional power settings
Select ultimate performance

Restart PC.

Go to > device manager > universal serial bus controllers
Right click on USB Root Hub / ASMedia / Intel USB etc.

and select properties

Go to power management tab and uncheck “allow the computer …”

Click Ok and restart PC.

Also check human interface devices and network adapters

Thanks all - I’ve purchased a new controller so we’ll see if that fixes it. My current controller is plugged into the USB 3.0 and it’s still stuttering. I’ve no idea how this came about as it literally started out of the blue!

Edit: Have plugged in my PS4 controller but it still seems to be doing the same - stuttering and unplayable. Really annoying! I might try just re-installing the whole game.