MSFS VR not playable when putting on Quest 2

When switching to VR in MSFS I get the usual FPS drop, that I can see on the monitor. As soon as I put on the headset it becomes unplayable. Maybe one frame every two seconds. Taking the headset off returns the FPS to about 20.
I already went to Beta on the Oculus software on the PC, but no help.
Any suggestions?

Might be a good idea to give the specs of your PC as well.

I notice this happens to me but after some time. Frames aren’t usually good, but not terrible, however after some time frames drop to 2 FPS. I’ve also noticed that the frames also drop when on Oculus Home, so it seems it’s some kind of general issue, not necessarily related to the sim.
I suspect it has something to do with the Oculus beta requirement.

I tried it once more and had a normal flight, which for me is 20FPS. This time I selected Oculus Link in the headset when the sim was ready, not before.
But after switching VR off and on again in the sim the same problem occured.
I also think it‘s not a MSFS problem, but rather something on the Oculus side.
My specs are I5 6600K, GTX 1060. Not great, but I think it’s not the problem here. Anyhow, I really want a faster machine now! VR just feels great.

How is 20fps even playable, to think you actually expect VR to be playable when thats your normal framerate. I wouldn’t even bother asking the question if I were you.
I also have a GTX1060 along with my Ryzen 5 3600X and 32GB of RAM and the sim runs lovely with high detail non VR, however in VR to get an even half decernt framerate I have to turn everything so low it looks like the original flightsim from 1986. I’ll be buying an RTX 3060 TI when I can find one…

1 Like

Well, this is not about performance of my VR setup. It is mostly not working at all, which is the problem. What does a PC upgrade help if it doesn´t work afterwards? So I have to figure this out first.
Yesterday I did two flights where it worked. Then in the evening I tried again and it didn´t. I really have no clue what´s going on, but as it seems I´m the only one with this problem there most likely is a problem with my setup, besides the low performance.

Have you installed openxr from Microsoft store?if yes uninstall it!!!

No, I don´t have it installed.
I now found out it always works in Sedona. At Borkum, which is part of the East Frisian Islands Addon it never works. I also saw the available GPU memory fluctuate between 4355MB and 5284MB. Is that normal?
I guess it has to do with the GPU memory being full that it doesn´t work at some places. Unfortunately when it doesn´t work, the indication in developer mode and FPS shown freezes. Maybe addon sceneries are too memory heavy for my graphics card. As the settings are pretty low I guessed 6GB should be enough.

I think I have it figured out now. It really depends in which order you start the applications. This video showed me how to do it:

He may not be the master of the Airbus, but he knows how to get the Quest working in MSFS.

In short:

• Start MSFS
  • Choose your flight. Do NOT click “FLY” yet.
  • Switch to VR in sim. The shortcut key didn´t work here, but you can go to Options - General - VR mode- Switch to VR
  • Put on your Quest and choose Oculus Link. From now on stay in VR
  • Only now click the yellow sign “FLY”

He also disabled Spacewarp in the Oculus Debug App, but that was disabled in my settings already.

1 Like

I never had an issue with the start up proceedure, i could pretty much start in any sequence but i found starting oculus link and doing the ctrl+tab was best when on the tarmac ready to go.

Initially when i started using VR i had bad performance, i’m running a 5 year old PC with a GTX 1660 in it as the only upgrade. I had to set my render to about 80 to get anything that was close to smooth. I realised that it was using steam VR when launching. So i changed the openxr registry setting to point to oculus and the VR is now 300% more smooth and my render is at 100.

There is a issue i picked up, sometimes when pausing and taking the headset off and then coming back and putting the headset on the oculus link goes bad. I know it is link because if i exit VR in MSFS and look at the oculus home screen i get the same FPS buffering. I am running the last beta of oculus software but this also happened on the public release. Only way to fix this is to:

1. Exit out of VR mode on MSFS (You don’t need to close the program)
  2. Disconnect the quest 2 from the PC
  3. Close the Oculus software screen completely.
  4. Retart the Oculus software.
  5. Connect the quest and enable Oculus Link
  6. Go back to MSFS and enable VR mode.

Should be back to normal, it’s a pain and i have only had it happen 2-3 times but i am now aware of it so i don’t spend alot of time and reboots trying to fix it.

I can confirm that the startup procedure has definitely fixed the issue I was having with seeing black all around me in the cockpit when moving my head.

Brilliant, just did a flight and it ran perfect…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.